Fix my Jeep™ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Fix my Jeep™

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 11-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Fix my Jeep™

Hello all, I know nothing about retouching or fixing stuff on the exterior of jeeps or any vehicle for that matter. But I have a lot of cosmetics I would like to fix on my jeep. I have taken lots of photos, perhaps you all can help me with what to do!

I will number everything that is wrong, and supply a photo. What are the best way to fix these things?

1) There's these weird black marks on my fenders. I tried washing them off, but no luck. Should I just buy new fenders, or is there anything I can do to fix it?
Picture:

2) The trailer harness wiring is all yucky looking. I can't tell if it's orange paint, or if it's rust. Should I some how try to paint it, or just wrap it in black electrical tape and hope it adheres?
Picture:

3) There's these weird chips taken out of the hardtop, and they are white metal underneath. Should I some how try to paint it? If I paint it black, it won't match because the hard top is a faded black color, like really dark gray.
Picture:

4)
This one's a doozy. My jeep's hardtop is leaking during rain/snow and the backseat is getting soaked, I think this is why. It appears the weater seal on the bottom of the hard top window's glass is all rotted away. I went to walmart and picked up some weather sealing strips, made to go around doors and windows in a house, but they aren't as thick as the weather seal that is on the door of my jeep's hard top. Should I try removing the rotted seals on the hard top and replace with those? Or anyone else have a better idea?
Pictures:

5) Now here's just some bad rust spots around the body. First one is on the lock panel of the trunk door. It's pretty bad. Second one is on the fog lights. What can be done? Sand it down with a sandpaper of some sort, and then spraypaint black after covering up everything that doesn't need to be painted, on a windless day?
Pictures:

6) This just appears to be chips or corrosion in the paint on the back near the trunk door. Probably nothing I can really do, maybe some of that touch-up paint?
Picture:

7) This one's the worst. It's on the hood, it's unsightly, and pretty big at 4" in diameter. It appears previous owner tried touching up the hood (scratches or something) with touch-up paint. But you can see, it's darker color than the real paint. Annoying! Probably nothing that can be done without taking it to an auto painting/detailing shop and paying 3 grand, right?
Picture:

Lastly, just a stupid question guys. When I fold the back seats up, they don't stay up. It appears there's no way to latch them or lock them up.

I don't know if they are designed that way, or if the lock / latch is busted off, or missing. Basically, what I'm saying is, when I fold the rear seats up for I can have storage space, they roll back and fall on my groceries or my weapons (for hunting) when I accelerate. My make-shift fix is to take a bungee cord and tie it around the roll bar and clamp it onto the seat, but that's a pain in the arse.

Thank in advance! Look forward to seeing what the brilliant minds here can come up with.

JeepJeepImABeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ugh, forgot this one. It's truly the worst.

The driver's side door handle/paddle is all corroded/rusted/whatever looking. Sand and paint? Or should I save up and replacement door paddle from (online) at $80? (expensive!)
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 12-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

revived
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

1. looks like some sort of oil. Dont bother buying new flares, but if its bothering you take some krylon fusion satin black and re-paint the fender flares.

2. Electrical tape it

3. Looks like the paint is just chipping off exposing the white fiberglass. There isnt much you can do unless you repaint the entire hard-top at once. Again, if you choose to do so, I've heard good things about krylon fusion.

4. Yep, that weather stripping looks bad. Not sure if they make a replacement, but it would be worth it to look around for one.

5. You can remove the metal piece on the tailgate and repaint it. You could do the same to your fog light brackets. Just wire brush the rust off.

6. Yeah, maybe try some touch-up paint, but other than that there isnt much you can do.

7. If the spot is really bothering you, you could try removing the hood and seeing how much it would cost to just get that repainted.

8. you can buy replacement door handles from quadratec.com
And yes, there is no way to hold up the back seat.

All of these seem pretty small. Just think of it as adding character to your jeep. While nobody will argue that a freshly painted car looks sharp, jeeps usually have a few "war Wounds" here and there.
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ahh ok. Do they make anything to help hold the back seat up? Or any cool ideas?
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure. I like your bungee cord idea though. Maybe the next time you go hunting you could try removing the back seat all together. It only takes a few more seconds.
Unread 12-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeepImABeep View Post
Ugh, forgot this one. It's truly the worst.

The driver's side door handle/paddle is all corroded/rusted/whatever looking. Sand and paint? Or should I save up and replacement door paddle from (online) at $80? (expensive!)
These are $25 or so at Quadratec.com

I'd use a ratchet strap instead of a bungee, that might end up badly.
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
JeepJeepImABeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman12 View Post
Not sure. I like your bungee cord idea though. Maybe the next time you go hunting you could try removing the back seat all together. It only takes a few more seconds.
how does one do that? I can't find where to get the seat off
Unread 12-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
scottbr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Flip it up and push the seat towards the passenger side. The pivot pin will come out and then you lift the seat and pull it towards the driver side.
scottbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.