Fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Fenders

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
whiteriver17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Fenders

So, I bought a Jeep (new owner) and I've been saving up money to put into it. Its a 2001 TJ Wrangler and its in GREAT condition... last owner kept it clean! The only issue I have with it is the Driver side FENDER... there is probably 1 foot x 1" of rust ...and its just SURFACE rust so I didn't go ahead and get it replaced/fixed.

But now that I'm doing some updates to the Jeep... removed all carpet was having water issues, removed all plugs, now I want to work on the body itself. I was wondering how much I'm looking at getting that fender fixed?

Any recommendations on what to do with surface rust of that size... should I totally replace the fender? or get someone to work with it not replacing the whole fender?

If anyone has knowledge/experience with working with fenders let me know what you think!

Thanks guys,

whiteriver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Congratulations on the new rig. Any repair will be a waste of money. Replacement is the only way to go. The rust is between the layers of sheetmetal and will never stop growing.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
ToledoDave

Do you happen to have any pics of the rust?
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
ToledoDave

Replacment is not the only way to go. If indeed its only surface rust it can be repaired. Either way you go repairing or replacing your into money with repaint. Not to mention by replacing fender your breaking paint on every bolt and sealer inside. If its surface i would repair. If its worse then replace.
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it's on the top of the fender it's probably not surface rust. There is a double layer right above the wheel that's adhered with some type of rubber, it gets wet and holds the moisture and rusts from the underside. In the time you'll spend repairing it you could put new fenders on both sides.
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
ToledoDave

Yup...i forgot all about the inner panel.
Can take a d/a sander and 80 grit sandpaper and d/a the effected area and see if you can sand out the rust. If it surface you will be able to sand the rust off back to metal. If its beyond surface you will quickly find out if you easily sand through outter skin and reach the inner skin. If such the case...as stated above replace the fenders. You will want to hurt bunnys when your done and its just not right when repairing. Its not worth the time and or money to repair vs cost of new.
Unread 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

just take an awl if it goes in like butter its toast.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
whiteriver17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I will post some photos later today or tomorrow when I'm done school. After reading some other comments I think its more then surface rust, I was told it was surface rust that's why I stated that... but it may be more. I'll post as soon as I can.
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
whiteriver17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I tried uploading the photos numerous of times but for some reason this site won't allow them to be uploaded; apparently are to large ?
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Upload to Photobucket and use the links they provide it works much better than trying to upload here.
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
whiteriver17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

First two photos are the Passenger side;

Next photos are the Driver Side ...the side I'm worried about.

Unread 10-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

rotted. like I said if you can push an awl through it. it is more work to repair this. a fender is needed or just leave it. but you see rust like tis I would be looking at more vital areas of concern.
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those are for sure rotted through, you'll find more rust when you take off the flares. When mine looked like that I used it as an excuse to do tube fenders lol.
Unread 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
whiteriver17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well luckily this is the only rust issue's I have on the Jeep... but I have been told both sides that its not rusted through (body shop) and that I shouldn't be to concerend. I can get both fenders for $800; but going to wait until Spring/Summer now.
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine looked better than what you have and were still rusted through. The only sign I saw was bubbles in the paint no exposed rust. I suppose it is possible that it is only surface rust but to get surface rust in exactly the same area on both sides on nearly every Jeep I've seen would be unlikely.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.