Fender Flares Faded Already? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Fender Flares Faded Already?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Wranglerlove11
2011 JK Wrangler 

Fender Flares Faded Already?

I am looking for some advice on how to get my fender flares back to black. I have a 2011 JK and my fender flares are all faded and gray already. Is this a normal thing to happen already since the Jeep is not that old?

Wranglerlove11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Seems a bit lousy that they are fading thatm uch already. i paint my TJ flares with krylon fusion every two years or so. The krylon doesnt fade but i chip it often. the jk flares are much wider, more surface area, harder to paint, but i dunno. seems like they shouldnt be that faded alreayd
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
07XMan2Door
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wranglerlove11 View Post
I am looking for some advice on how to get my fender flares back to black. I have a 2011 JK and my fender flares are all faded and gray already. Is this a normal thing to happen already since the Jeep is not that old?
Go to Walmart. Get some "Black Magic". It's in a spray bottle & it works WONDERS!!! Use a small clean rag & rub it in. Seems a bit oily at first but it dries up nicely. Two coats to get you up & running. After that, 1 coat & they'll look like new!! Mine is an 07 & they look like this!
Hope this helps.

07XMan2Door is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
wrecks2riches
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a product i use here at my paint shop called AM210 Trim Black its made by R-M paint company which is a product of BASF Refinish. It comes in a green spray bomb. It sprays out awesome and it is made to replicate the trim black on a vehicles exterior. I use it to paint jeep flares, mouldings, etc... and it makes it look just like factory. It holds up to the element for years it is one of my favorite products i have. It would be available at a paint supplier that sells BASF or R-M paint.
wrecks2riches is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
JeepCares

A guy I work with uses Forever Black. Looks good.
JeepCares is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Tcjeepdriver

I have a 2011 JK also but with black painted flares. No issues with that plastic yet because it is a different vinyl surface ,but the textured black fenders (and bumpers) and door handles lost that deep black new look. I use Mothers Forever Black ( in red bottle) and it not only removes dried up white wax from the texture but it UV protects it from fading faster. I would use this monthly in sunnier climates to prolong the black finish. There are black dyes that can be applied for really faded bumpers but can only be found on the Internet or specialty body shops. Just don't buff or rub textured plastic too hard. It will damage the even texture creating more "flat spots" which is worse than a fading issue.
Tcjeepdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Zone

Remove them, get black LINE-X Premium, reinstall them, just wash them when dirty. No need for any "dressings"...ever.

Before:

After:

Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone View Post
Remove them, get black LINE-X Premium, reinstall them, just wash them when dirty. No need for any "dressings"...ever.

Before:

After:

How much for a job like that?

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Just take a heat gun to them and heat them up, it will restore a lot of the color for free. Back to Black and similar products don't last long and personally I wouldn't paint flares that are that new.

As for the bedliner, you can get roll on liner for pretty cheap, but don't go with Line-X, it sucks compared to other brands. Just make sure you take the liner to Home Depot, Lowe's, ect and have the can shaken in the paint shaker so the rubber material in it is evenly applied. Prep is as important as paint otherwise it tends to crack or chip after a while. It's pretty easy to do yourself and it helps big time to protect against scratches, definitely worth doing. Only real downside is it will get a bit tacky in the summer in the heat and it will fade over time just like paint does. However it does adhere to itself so if it fades you can just roll on another coat.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Just take a heat gun to them and heat them up, it will restore a lot of the color for free. Back to Black and similar products don't last long and personally I wouldn't paint flares that are that new.

As for the bedliner, you can get roll on liner for pretty cheap, but don't go with Line-X, it sucks compared to other brands. Just make sure you take the liner to Home Depot, Lowe's, ect and have the can shaken in the paint shaker so the rubber material in it is evenly applied. Prep is as important as paint otherwise it tends to crack or chip after a while. It's pretty easy to do yourself and it helps big time to protect against scratches, definitely worth doing. Only real downside is it will get a bit tacky in the summer in the heat and it will fade over time just like paint does. However it does adhere to itself so if it fades you can just roll on another coat.
Maybe you're thinking of something else, LINE-X is a superior product. Why, in your opinion, does LINE-X "suck"?

Ironworker709: I'll send you a PM
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone View Post
Maybe you're thinking of something else, LINE-X is a superior product. Why, in your opinion, does LINE-X "suck"?

Ironworker709: I'll send you a PM
Maybe the people doing Line-X around here just suck at prep, but every truck I've seen with it around here has had it peeling, chipping, ect. I've also noticed it tends to be hard and less rubbery than other brands and also seems to be much thinner for the same price people are paying to have other brands sprayed.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Maybe the people doing Line-X around here just suck at prep, but every truck I've seen with it around here has had it peeling, chipping, etc. I've also noticed it tends to be hard and less rubbery than other brands and also seems to be much thinner for the same price people are paying to have other brands sprayed.
OK, that's certainly possible, perhaps the LINE-X dealer in your area is not up to speed. Every once in a while a Jeep "lemon" rolls off the assembly line.

You won't find a DIY bedliner product stronger than LINE-X though. Dry film thickness has to do with the amount of volume of product that's applied, it has nothing to with the brand or product itself. You certainly can find some products that are softer, those contain more polyurethane than polyurea. There's typically a trade-off between softness and strength with these sort of products. Those that are soft have a fairly low tear and tensile strengths. Those that are harder, tend to be stronger. That being said, LINE-X has a softer product (XS-130) but it's not as strong as the bedliner product (XS-100). (And, XS-350 is stronger than XS-100.) If you think a softer/rubbery product won't tear as easily, that's an incorrect assumption.
Unread 05-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
roman-loling
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you hit them with a heat gun they will go back 2 black =]
roman-loling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Tyfow

Buy Krylon Fusion for Plastics. I went to Summit Racing to buy it, but then realized they sell it at Walmart. It costs $3.54. I used a can and a half.
Wipe down with ammonia based windex to get rid of oils and dirt, then spray with krylon.
The color I used was Satin Black, gave it a good semi-black color.

before

after

process

I especially like this process because the paint bonds to the plastic. So even if the paint runs a bit, you can't tell with the final product.
I did it a year ago, and I am thinking about using another sprayover just to give it the brand new look again.
Tyfow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do a search on 303 Aerospace products and people's reviews and experence with it...it's well known and loved by the RV'rs and Marine crowd which puts the plastic trims though about THEE worst abuse........alot of car dealers will use it to restore all the plastic trim and parts to look new..great stuff....their website is 303Products.com

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.