Fender flare paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Fender flare paint

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fender flare paint

How long does the average re painting of fender flares last? Is it worth it and does it look decent? Thanks

d_diesel27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
bciocco
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It really depends on how you use the Jeep. I don't go off road and the paint has been on mine a couple of years, except where a rock was thrown by a tire. I used Fusion flat or satin. I don't remember. I got a little fish eye, even after sanding and cleaning with acetone. I have painted them on the Jeep with cheap flat black and it came out better but they were sand blasted after one ride on the beach.
bciocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
hewesyourdaddy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I used the Fusion Satin also. Painted on the jeep. So far so good. Definitely lasted longer than any Armor All type product.......
hewesyourdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Did you remove the fenders or tape them off? i havent looked at how to take them off yet, i just heard its a pain in the ***
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
bciocco
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled mine off this time because I had other stuff to do.
In the past, I had used cardboard from cereal boxes and stuffed it in behind the flare. It worked pretty good. Others have used index cards.
bciocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
hewesyourdaddy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I stuck printer paper between the fender and the flare then put sheets of painters plastic over the rest of the jeep.
hewesyourdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_diesel27
How long does the average re painting of fender flares last? Is it worth it and does it look decent? Thanks
For $12 its certainly worth it. Looks great.

image-3312347465.jpg
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

After my doors were stolen and I got some nifty Honolulu Blue ones for cheap that didn't match the rest of the jeep I decided to do mine using Fusion - "Patriot Blue."

I taped em off. Was easy enough to kind of pull/stress fender away form jeep and get painters tape in there. I slid a fake plastic credit card in between the two front pieces as it happened to be in my trash bag and worked like a champ. I then just used some plastic drop cloth to protect hood and doors and got it done fairly quickly after a much sanding and cleaning.

I don't wheel much and this was just done in September, but it has been to and form elk camp twice, on a handful of trail rides and power washed twice. It has recently seen a wicked cold spell/snow storm and the hunks of ice are now melting and revealing no damage/chipping. I'm happy with it.
JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
d_diesel27
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds good! Thanks for the help

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.