Eastwood frame rail paint. How did you do it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Eastwood frame rail paint. How did you do it?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Eastwood frame rail paint. How did you do it?

I bought some of the internal frame rail paint from eastwood and wondering what would be best to do before applying it.
http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html
But I also bought this rust converter from them.
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-conv...a-aerosol.html

Would it be best to just wash down inside the frame and spray with the frame rail paint.
OR
Wash down inside and first spray with the rust converter then the frame rail paint.

Since it states on the frame rail can that "phenolic resin penetrates, converts and encapsulates the rust on the internal surface, and zinc phosphate seals it." I wonder if using the rust converter would defeat the purpose of it or if it would actually help.

opinions?

Unread 06-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I did mine I stripped the frame, pressure washed then sandblasted. I got as much sand out of the inside of the frame as I could using a long air hose. I then use the internal frame spray from Eastwood and let dry, Then used the Chassis Saver from Magnet Paints on the exterior, followed by Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black as the UV blocker. I am very happy with how it turned out. I did not have to use the rust converter after blasting so I can not comment on that.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Put the internal frame paint right on the frame. After it's well dried of course. No need to topcoat that. It's made to go on the rust and it's a very runny paint so it will seep into the nooks and crannies. I used it on mine but it was a new bare metal TDK frame. I laid it on the topside and used one can to do both rails. Left it set till the next night, flipped it onto it's bottomside, and did the same thing again. That way it will puddle on the top and bottom and cover those areas with a good coating. Tape any holes in the frame to keep the spray inside (and the mess), and just peal back the tape as needed for access of the hose.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I probably will be spraying mine within the next few days. Already did the exterior with chassis saver with just a rustoleum flat black top coat. Didnt even think of inside the frame rails until I looked online at others and inside my rails to see the rust. Looks like it goes straight on. Thanks for the help
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Keep some rags handy to wipe off your outside paint, and wear some gloves. It's great stuff but I've used about 5 cans of the stuff now and every one leaked around the can to sprayer connection. It puddles around the top then when you tilt the can it pours out.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
TJJeepJosh
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Keep some rags handy to wipe off your outside paint, and wear some gloves. It's great stuff but I've used about 5 cans of the stuff now and every one leaked around the can to sprayer connection. It puddles around the top then when you tilt the can it pours out.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Bet I'll still get it all over myself. Even with gloves and other protection I always somehow manage to get myself covered in paint.
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used the Internal Frame stuff on the inside of my sandblasted frame. It stinks, so make sure you have good ventilation. But to me, that stink tells me its good stuff! I agree with the rubber gloves recommendation.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.