Dynaglass vs. Ultraglass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Dynaglass vs. Ultraglass

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 04-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Dynaglass vs. Ultraglass

Does any of you bodywork guys have any experience using 3M/Dynatron's Dynaglass or Ultraglass short strand fiberglass reinforced fillers? Looking at their website they claim one is waterproof (dyna) and one is water resistant (ultra). But yet when you do a "compare", the "performance level" says the ultra is better. I know it's a website that was created by some data input person who has probably never seen the inside of a body shop, so I don't put much stock in their descriptions.
Does anyone know the difference and do you prefer one over the other? And if you've used them, what finishing filler did you use over it?

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82
Does any of you bodywork guys have any experience using 3M/Dynatron's Dynaglass or Ultraglass short strand fiberglass reinforced fillers? Looking at their website they claim one is waterproof (dyna) and one is water resistant (ultra). But yet when you do a "compare", the "performance level" says the ultra is better. I know it's a website that was created by some data input person who has probably never seen the inside of a body shop, so I don't put much stock in their descriptions. Does anyone know the difference and do you prefer one over the other? And if you've used them, what finishing filler did you use over it?
First off what are you trying to accomplish? Are you covering up a buncha rust?

I prefer Upol Fiber all. It spreads thick or you can spread it real smooth. Sands nice also. Top it with Upol flyweight gold
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

No, just smoothing up irregular surfaces and covering some weld voids. No holes. It's all been covered with POR and TieCote.
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. Well I really prefer the Upol Fibral. For the heavy work. Plus it comes in squeeze tubes which is nice
Unread 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
No, just smoothing up irregular surfaces and covering some weld voids. No holes. It's all been covered with POR and TieCote.
Strip all the por off before you do filler or you will be sorry in a few months when all the filler is coming off. I know this from first hand experience.

I use us chemical duraglass and have never had any issues except for por coming off under it and having to start over.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

That would defeat the purpose of protecting the metal. You can put filler on over POR but you first have to put down either TieCoat or their self etching primer between them. Just as some shops spray epoxy on the bare metal before the filler.
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The issue is the por will separate from the metal after a few months or even weeks. I speak from experience. I had it happen on a show car and a truck. Also duraglass is direct to metal.
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400
The issue is the por will separate from the metal after a few months or even weeks. I speak from experience. I had it happen on a show car and a truck. Also duraglass is direct to metal.
Sticks way better to sanded and cleaned epoxy
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When I had the rep for us chemical in my shop they recommended direct to metal for best adhesion. I was more concerned with him using it over por as I and many others have had issues with it coming off causing you to have to redo the whole area. If you wanted to use something under I recommend ppg dp90lf.
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post

Sticks way better to sanded and cleaned epoxy
Could you please show manufacturer instructions that show to use over epoxy.
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400
When I had the rep for us chemical in my shop they recommended direct to metal for best adhesion. I was more concerned with him using it over por as I and many others have had issues with it coming off causing you to have to redo the whole area. If you wanted to use something under I recommend ppg dp90lf.
Try Ppg' CRE. X100 better than that LF crap and its direct to metal and has better film build

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.