Duplicolor Clear Truck Bed Liner for Jeep Tub - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
WMWHV
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Duplicolor Clear Truck Bed Liner for Jeep Tub

I thought I would start this thread since there does not seem to be too much on this forum with respect to this product. I will offer my reasons for using it and application experience, but cannot call this a review since I have not had an opportunity to see how this product will hold up long term.

I wanted several things in a bed liner. One was a product that was clear or color matched to my Jeep. Another was that I did not want it on so thick that it would impact my use of the OEM carpet, which I choose to keep in most of the time for temperature and sound control. I wanted a product that would look nice and hold up. I do want to be able to pull the carpet and be able to use the Jeep without having every little thing I put in the back or my feet on the floorboards scratch the paint and make it look terrible. I And I did not want to spend a fortune. So, if you are looking for something different for your application, you may end up with a different choice.

I watched the Duplicolor video on how to apply it, then bought a gallon of the roll on and a can of the spray to cut in the corners, just as they recommended. As you can see from the photos below, my tub did not get a great paint job from the factory and although you can't really see it much from the photos, I had a lot of little scratches in the paint from picking up the directions signs at the tail end of a charity bike ride.

I decided to sand the existing surface with 600 grit sandpaper, wipe it down with wax and grease remover a couple of times, then spray it with the spray duplicolor paint. I knew I would not get an exterior quality finish this way, but I figured it would be an adequate based for the bedliner and I think it was. It certainly looked better than the OEM paint. In the first photo, the right side of the tub had been sprayed, but the left side and bottom had not. The next shot shows the back end after the paint. It took a couple of coats to get it looking nice. I used two cans of the spray paint.

After the paint was dry, I cleaned up the overspray and then cleaned the surface again with wax and grease remover. I used a 6 inch roller as recommended in the video, but also got a small 2 inch roller for the tight spots, a small paint brush like an artist might use and a small disposable "chip" brush. My wife warned me it would lose bristles and she was right, but it only lost a few. I pulled on the bristles before getting started in hopes of removing any loose ones before they got in the goo.

When I opened the can, there was an inch or so of semi-solid material at the top of the can, which I figure is what gives the product texture when it dries. It took a while stirring to get this stuff all mixed in. Since the can was full to the brim, this was a messy process. I was glad I put the can on a disposable drop cloth before opening it up. I needed it. For this project, I was only doing the area aft of the rear seat footwells, so I started at the front end of the work area and worked my way back. I used the small roller to do the corners and never used the spray can of material. In the spots where the roller could not reach, I dabbed product on with the brushes and this seemed to work fine. You do not want to roll this stuff too much. If you do, it will start pulling up wisps of the drying product, almost like cotton candy. When this happened, I was able to roll it back in to wet product and had no long term issues. At first I thought the roller was coming apart, but it was not.

I did not use respiratory protection, but should have. By the time I was in to it enough to realize how strong the smell was, it was too late to get out and set up a respirator. When I do the rest of the Jeep, I will not make that mistake again.

I rolled the sides mostly with the 2 inch roller and did the flat areas and the bottom with the 6 inch roller. I seemed to have better luck getting it into the floor area going cross-ways than longitudinally. Where there were tie downs on the floor, they lifted the roller off the surface and these areas had to be done with the brush to ensure an even coat. The key was to do this at the same time the rest of that area was coated. It does not like for you to come back to a spot after it has set up for any time, even just a few moments.

I let it sit a couple of hours between coats, a bit longer than the minimum they recommended, then went back in for the second coat. I did the sides and the front of the bottom and when I started to crawl out to do the rest of the floor, I saw what looked like dirty footprints all over the bottom of the tub in the areas where I had not yet put a second coat. This was from my shoes rubbing on the freshly dried product. There was no dirt, it just looked bad. I stressed a few minutes over what to do, then decided to see what the second coat would look like over it. The second coat filled in the blemishes and made them disappear, so I finished up the second coat with no further issues. You can see the result in the photos.

After the experience between coats, I decided to give it a full day to cure before touching it again. Even then, I got the impression that anything rubbing on the dried material tended to make it whitish looking, like it was scuffed, even my relatively soft vibram shoe soles. I let it sit another day or two and then put the carpet down on it. Time will tell as to whether this stuff holds up or scuffs with the slightest abrasion.

At this point, I have not done the front or rear floorboards. I still have well over a half gallon of material in the can after two coats in the back. If you did not notice, mine is an LJ, so there is a bit more area to cover. I will add to the thread after some time has passed to give a review on the durability of the product.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3098.jpg   IMG_3101.jpg   IMG_3104.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-27-2017, 03:28 PM
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Good write up. Did not know that Duplicolor made this in a clear.
Is there any texture on the surface?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Manufacturers of CHASSIS SAVERô Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Connect with us on:

Watch How To Videos:

post #3 of 5 Old 09-27-2017, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
WMWHV
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a texture, akin to a non-skid type finish. My photo does capture a bit of it. If you look at the bottom of the last one where the light is shining on the end of the rib on the bottom of the tub, near the tailgate, you can get a glimpse of it. I put bedliners into two categories. There are the softer, rubbery types and there are the hard, plastic types. This is a hard plastic product. I am not sure how they achieve the texture, but there appeared to be solids in the product in the can which had to be stirred in before applying it. I think they created the texture as the stuff dried out. When I get home long enough from traveling for work, I will try to get a better picture of the texture of the finished product and post it.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 AM
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

I see it slightly. Let us know how this holds up. If you ever decide you want something different I believe one of our reds is very close to your color.

Manufacturers of CHASSIS SAVERô Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

Connect with us on:

Watch How To Videos:

post #5 of 5 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
WMWHV
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I finally got around to doing the front floorboards. Now, all that remains is the back seat foot wells. I estimate that I will have used about a half gallon to put two coats on my LJ when I am finished. As promised, here are some more pictures that do a better job of showing the texture on the finish. For the floorboards, I used only the little 3 inch roller like the one in the photo and a chip brush to dab product into the tight spaces.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3319.jpg   IMG_3323.jpg   IMG_3324.jpg   warner-paint-trays-205332-64_1000.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.