Detailing and Washing your Ride-Properly - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Detailing and Washing your Ride-Properly

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Reply
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #76
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer View Post
I was thinking about a product called Plastix I think. Just not sure how to proceed. Body shop & detailer both said no to any fix - may have to go back to dealer yet again for unscratched version (ha!).

wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #77
mj24lyons
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California
Posts: 267
WOW I love this thread and I have learned a bunch. What is best to clean a soft top and windows on a wrangler. Also my windows have a ton of small scratches on them, does anyone know what to do to try and get those out?
mj24lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #78
wolfcreek
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: , Washington
Posts: 623
I'm liking this thread too... my jeep is currently in the garage being worked on with various projects, and in between waiting for parts I'm cleaning it up.

Is there any product that will help get rid of mud splatter in the engine bay? I have cleaned the engine bay several times now with engine brite and simple green. I've taken a pressure washer to parts of the engine bay. Nothing seems to get rid of some of these stubborn spots.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #79
aggiejon
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Temple, TX
Posts: 585
Daniel, awesome thread. Very detailed, dispels myths, and gives an excellent account of exactly what to do. Its like sneaking into your toolbox.

I do have a question regarding making a factory finish look better. I have an 07 chevy pickup in red. And their robo-painter layed the paint down with what I would call orange peel. It just has some ripple across the entire truck. What are your thoughts on where to start to remedy some of that?

I also have a dulled clearcoat on my jeep that I am going to try to buff back into shape using this process.

Thanks.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #80
danielkspencer
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj24lyons View Post
WOW I love this thread and I have learned a bunch. What is best to clean a soft top and windows on a wrangler. Also my windows have a ton of small scratches on them, does anyone know what to do to try and get those out?
This I'm not sure about, I've never tackled a soft top before. Hopefully, someone with some knowledge about this will chime in. (I'm actually getting ready to buy a soft top wrangler to play with, cause everybody needs 3 Jeeps, lol)




Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
I'm liking this thread too... my jeep is currently in the garage being worked on with various projects, and in between waiting for parts I'm cleaning it up.

Is there any product that will help get rid of mud splatter in the engine bay? I have cleaned the engine bay several times now with engine brite and simple green. I've taken a pressure washer to parts of the engine bay. Nothing seems to get rid of some of these stubborn spots.
I've never seen issues like this that simple green would not take care of. Are you letting it set for awhile and then agitating it with a brush before rinsing it?


Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon View Post
Daniel, awesome thread. Very detailed, dispels myths, and gives an excellent account of exactly what to do. Its like sneaking into your toolbox.

I do have a question regarding making a factory finish look better. I have an 07 chevy pickup in red. And their robo-painter layed the paint down with what I would call orange peel. It just has some ripple across the entire truck. What are your thoughts on where to start to remedy some of that?

I also have a dulled clearcoat on my jeep that I am going to try to buff back into shape using this process.

Thanks.
If it truly is "orange peel" then you're looking at wet sanding it and then doing 2 step polishing to bring the shine back once you sand all the orange peel out. I don't recommend this process to anyone that has never done it before. And you should check the thickness of the clearcoat with a meter before you attempt it to make sure you have enough to work with. It's easy to really mess it up if you sand off too much clear.
__________________
2008 WK Loaded with Navigation
255/70/17 RF10s on Mamba MR1s

Black WK Club #45
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #81
wxchaser
Member
 
wxchaser's Avatar
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: , NE
Posts: 276
Daniel, tried Plastx and it made no difference.

In the end, sent in the license plate brow to a specialized painter who is acid etching the piece, then putting on a base coat, and clear coat, so matching the brow to my body color, Stone White. I got tired of the thing scratching so easily!
wxchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #82
danielkspencer
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
Daniel, tried Plastx and it made no difference.

In the end, sent in the license plate brow to a specialized painter who is acid etching the piece, then putting on a base coat, and clear coat, so matching the brow to my body color, Stone White. I got tired of the thing scratching so easily!
Sounds like a good plan
__________________
2008 WK Loaded with Navigation
255/70/17 RF10s on Mamba MR1s

Black WK Club #45
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #83
JeepScrap
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: , NJ
Posts: 501
Hey Daniel...I've spend a lot of time getting my paint clean and protected and now i'm just wondering what, if anything, should I be doing for my hardtop? I just wash it and thats it. No wax or anything since it has a flat finish and I don't want to add any shine to it. Curious on what you would recommend. Thanks.
__________________
"Science will win in a battle with religion because it works." -Stephen Hawking
JeepScrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #84
danielkspencer
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 82
If you don't want it to look shiny, then you don't have too many options. I'd use Ultima on it, personally. But it will make it look shiny and new.
__________________
2008 WK Loaded with Navigation
255/70/17 RF10s on Mamba MR1s

Black WK Club #45
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #85
jeepmaster5001
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
Posts: 1
is it possible to apply any of these methods to wheels? I have a set of rubicon wheels for my TJ that have swirl marks in them. Guy I bought them from says he doesnt know what he did to cause them. Very light, looks like they can be buffed out. Any advice?
jeepmaster5001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.