Detailing and Washing your Ride-Properly - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Detailing and Washing your Ride-Properly

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #46
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepScrap View Post
Cool thx...
I'm also counting on my detailing job taking at least two days. Day one- wash, clay, wash. Day two- m205, blackfire. I will keep my Jeep in the garage but on day two, I would expect some dust settled on the paint. Do I need to wash again before the polish and blackfire?
Best thing to do is to cover it with some large sheets once it's dry. Or you can just use a microfiber rag and some quick detailer to dust it off before you start polishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacjeep99 View Post
Under Washing the car, a step was left out, spray the car from top to bottom when washing and rinsing, because the dirt and grime will flow down, don't wash the sides and move to the top. Start with the top and then do the sides, front and and back.

That's not really a "step" more like a method. But I would hope that would be common knowledge. If someone doesn't know to wash from top to bottom they probably are screwed in life already, lol

Black WK Club #45
danielkspencer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #47
jtcnj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hey great write up!.
Question: you said silicone is not good for tires. I read , and have been using, spray silicone on a rag rubbed onto all rubber door weather stripping / gasketing for the last couple years, usualy twice a year or so. It's supposed to keep it supple and protect it. Seems to be ok.

I also spray coating of wd-40 or liquid wrench lubricant on just about the entire engine compartment, and use the silicone on the rubber hoses, etc.

I'm looking to keep it clean, and keep the rust in check. I know the spray lube picks up some dirt, I usually use some Engine Brite or degreaser, (also like the Simple Green stuff for just about everything.)

Am I on the wrong road here or what?

Thanks again for a great post. I'm strongly considering a PC7424 kit.

"Dubyuh" or "Blue Bayou": Patriot Blue 2001 Up-Country WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Quadra Drive: for now known as "Al-Dente" after my wife's "mod".

New Addition 12/2011: "Pearl" Forest Green Pearlcoat 1999 xj SE 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 mostly stock for now.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Ronald Wilson Reagan
jtcnj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #48
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcnj View Post
hey great write up!.
Question: you said silicone is not good for tires. I read , and have been using, spray silicone on a rag rubbed onto all rubber door weather stripping / gasketing for the last couple years, usualy twice a year or so. It's supposed to keep it supple and protect it. Seems to be ok.

I also spray coating of wd-40 or liquid wrench lubricant on just about the entire engine compartment, and use the silicone on the rubber hoses, etc.

I'm looking to keep it clean, and keep the rust in check. I know the spray lube picks up some dirt, I usually use some Engine Brite or degreaser, (also like the Simple Green stuff for just about everything.)

Am I on the wrong road here or what?

Thanks again for a great post. I'm strongly considering a PC7424 kit.
Trim is a different story. Here's a quote from AutoGeek that pretty much sums it up about tires, though. . .

"Funny I was asking a friend of mine about this a couple weeks ago. He is a production manager for DUNLOP which was recently bought out by GoodYear. He has 30 years experience making tires so I figured he was expert enough for me. Anyway he told me that the tire dressings that you buy at the local autoparts stores etc are really bad for your tires. He said that when your tire is spinning the friction and heat cause certain oils to make their way to the outer edge of the tire and this is necessary to keep your tires in good condition. By applying Silicone based products it leaches these chemicals and oils from the tire and causes them to become dried out over time and crack (ie dryrot). Now this is the laymans version. I took some chemistry in college but that was several years ago. He was much more descriptive when he was telling me why it is bad to put silicone products on tires but this is all I can remember ha..ha..! I am in no way an expert and I'm sure other people can elaborate more on this topic but the advice I was given by a guy who makes the tires was Do not put it on your tires! I no longer put any silicone products on my tires. I have since been using 303 on my tires (not super impressed) and just ordered some Ultima Tire and trim plus so we'll see how that works?"

I personally use Hyperdressing on the tires and engine. I use Optima on the trim.

Black WK Club #45
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #49
pentastar01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Daniel, great right up, very informative and helpful.

But I actually have a question for you, or anybody that would like to chime in. I'm trying to make my mom's GC look better, it's a 9 year old vehicle so I'm not expection perfection but a smoother and clearer finish would be nice. The Jeep has a lot a minor scratches, the kind that accumulate over time and from 2 feet away you can't distinguish but up close are visible.

I figured I would use a polishing compound to try to get some of the scratches out but I don't think I'm doing it right. I follow the directions(btw, using Turtle Wax Polishing Compound), but either it comes out hazy and I really have to buff it out or it just dries up too fast.

Any tips on what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Please bear in mind I don't have a lot of disposible income and am using detail pads, terry cloth towels, and old fasioned elbow grease.

Also I figured I would follow the polishing with Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell wax which has been working pretty well for me on my other Jeep.
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #50
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Hi Daniel. I just got a full paint job top to toe all aronud done to My Jeep, cause it got keyed by some punks and insurence covered it.

What Are My best option for protecting the paint before winter? How long do i have to Wait after paintjob before i Apply Any detailing on the paint? Can i skip polishing and just Go for sealent+wax?

Thanks in advance, Thomas
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #51
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

@1998 XJ If you don't have a real buffer like a PC 7424 it's going to be very hard to get rid of scratches. A cheap buffer like you can get at Wal-Mart won't cut it, you're better off doing it by hand (which will take a very long time) You might want to consider just using a Glaze to cover the scratches. It's not a real fix, but it's quick and easy if you can't afford a good buffer.

Black WK Club #45
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #52
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Hi Daniel. I just got a full paint job top to toe all aronud done to My Jeep, cause it got keyed by some punks and insurence covered it.

What Are My best option for protecting the paint before winter? How long do i have to Wait after paintjob before i Apply Any detailing on the paint? Can i skip polishing and just Go for sealent+wax?

Thanks in advance, Thomas
You can polish now, if it's a paint boot safe polish like M205. As far as how long to wait before putting on any sealant, that's a subject that has been debated on for quite some time. Personally I like to wait a couple of months, but you'll hear lots of different answers to this same question. Newer paints and clears do not require as long as older stuff used to, that's for sure. But some people are under the impression it's safe after a couple of weeks. I'd rather play it safe.

Black WK Club #45
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #53
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer

You can polish now, if it's a paint boot safe polish like M205. As far as how long to wait before putting on any sealant, that's a subject that has been debated on for quite some time. Personally I like to wait a couple of months, but you'll hear lots of different answers to this same question. Newer paints and clears do not require as long as older stuff used to, that's for sure. But some people are under the impression it's safe after a couple of weeks. I'd rather play it safe.
Thanks alot, i understand, Will def wait a couple of Months then. 
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #54
pentastar01
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkspencer View Post
@1998 XJ If you don't have a real buffer like a PC 7424 it's going to be very hard to get rid of scratches. A cheap buffer like you can get at Wal-Mart won't cut it, you're better off doing it by hand (which will take a very long time) You might want to consider just using a Glaze to cover the scratches. It's not a real fix, but it's quick and easy if you can't afford a good buffer.
OK, thanks for the advice. What would you recommmend as a good Glaze? Or do you mean just a good, careful waxing of the vehicle?
Unread 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #55
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastar01 View Post
OK, thanks for the advice. What would you recommmend as a good Glaze? Or do you mean just a good, careful waxing of the vehicle?
No, I'm talking about an actual Glaze product that fills in scratches to hide the imperfections.

Meguiar's Speed Glaze is pretty good. It's not that expensive either.

I personally don't use Glazes, so I'm not too up on which ones are the best, but I know Meg's SG is pretty popular for that price range.

Black WK Club #45
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #56
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So we finally had a stretch of rain free days and I was able to get a pre-winter full detail in. First I'd like to thank Daniel for all his knowledge and product recommendations.

Day 1 was a Chemical Guys strip wash, followed by Maguire’s clay bar, and then another wash. Day 2 was M205 polish followed by Blackfire Wet Diamond sealer. My paint was decent but definitely had surface contaminants and needed some real TLC. The clay bar produced amazing results as did the Blackfire. I even used it on my fender flares and wheels with great results. My only issue was with the M205 polish. It was very difficult to remove and took a lot of time. Maybe I wasn't doing it right or something but this was all done by hand.

My paint is now smooth as glass and super slick and wet looking. Blackfire Wet Diamond truly is an amazing product so thank you again Daniel. I tried to capture the results in pictures but it's a little difficult with the khaki color...

My only questions now are...
1. Is one coat of BFWD good enough until spring?
2. What can I use in between sealer apprications for that just waxed look? Some sort of quick detail spray product?
Unread 10-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #57
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Quote:

Looking good!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #58
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

Quote:
So we finally had a stretch of rain free days and I was able to get a pre-winter full detail in. First I'd like to thank Daniel for all his knowledge and product recommendations.

Day 1 was a Chemical Guys strip wash, followed by Maguire’s clay bar, and then another wash. Day 2 was M205 polish followed by Blackfire Wet Diamond sealer. My paint was decent but definitely had surface contaminants and needed some real TLC. The clay bar produced amazing results as did the Blackfire. I even used it on my fender flares and wheels with great results. My only issue was with the M205 polish. It was very difficult to remove and took a lot of time. Maybe I wasn't doing it right or something but this was all done by hand.

My paint is now smooth as glass and super slick and wet looking. Blackfire Wet Diamond truly is an amazing product so thank you again Daniel. I tried to capture the results in pictures but it's a little difficult with the khaki color...

My only questions now are...
1. Is one coat of BFWD good enough until spring?
2. What can I use in between sealer apprications for that just waxed look? Some sort of quick detail spray product?

Looks great!!!

Basically, if you're using M205 by hand you're just wasting product. The only time you could really use it by hand is if you're just using it to fix a small scratch, etc. It requires friction and heat to break down the polish. That's why it's hard to remove, it's not broken down. When you use it with a buffer it wipes off super easy after it's broken down. So, basically, get you a buffer and you'll be blown away at how great it works, otherwise, don't waste your time trying to do an entire vehicle with it. Pick you up a PorterCable 7424 and a few pads. You'll have under $200 in it total and it will last you for a long time and save you so much time and produce amazing results.

One coat of ANYTHING is enough if you get uniformed coverage. Layering products is a myth propagated by manufactures to make you use more product. If you do 2 coats of any sealant (other than Zanio with the accelerator) you need to wait 24 hours between each coat. But I generally just make sure I do a good first coat and call it a day. The BFWD will last you through the winter easily if you watch your dilution of the soap you use and don't make it strong enough to strip it off.

The best best best quick detailer spray is Finish Kare 425. It's just amazing and it's actually a good deal. $20 shipped most places, but it's twice the size of any of the crap you get at Walmart. Plus, it has anti-static properties which is really nice.

Be sure to put the BFWD on your wheels and windows, too (except the windshield) Rejex is better sealant for wheels, but the BFWD works great, too.

Rejex lasts longer and is slicker for wheels, but BFWD looks better on paint, by the way.

Black WK Club #45
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #59
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I really took my time with it and I can't say enough good things about the BFWD. And yes I did hit my wheels with it too.

That explains why the 205 polish was giving me such a hard time. I was under the impression that you could do it by hand but I guess not. Maybe one day I'll invest in the porter cable.

I noticed on detailedimage that BFWD also has a "quick detailer". It's $18 but since it's in the same product line, would imagine it works great and might be worth a try? Do you have any experience with the stuff Daniel?
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #60
danielkspencer
2008 WK 

Quote:
Thanks. I really took my time with it and I can't say enough good things about the BFWD. And yes I did hit my wheels with it too.

That explains why the 205 polish was giving me such a hard time. I was under the impression that you could do it by hand but I guess not. Maybe one day I'll invest in the porter cable.

I noticed on detailedimage that BFWD also has a "quick detailer". It's $18 but since it's in the same product line, would imagine it works great and might be worth a try? Do you have any experience with the stuff Daniel?
Technically, you can use M205 by hand, but technically, you can build your house out of toothpicks, too. It's pretty much the same waste of time, lol

The BlackFire is a great product line, but there are better sprays out there.

The FK 425 is way better than anything I've tried, ever.

Black WK Club #45

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.