Dented my XJ - Estimate?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Dented my XJ - Estimate??

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
NYSLC93
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dented my XJ - Estimate??

Ok so last night I backed into a pole and dented my XJ. I cracked the tail light and side plastic bumber piece, and pushed in the side in the rear left quarter panel. Everything else is fine.

Does any know a ball park of what this will cost to repair? I'm not looking at perfect work, just pull out the dents somewhat decent to put the side bumper piece back on, and a quick spray.

Unread 10-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
NYSLC93
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you think that's it's possible to bang it out from the inside and underneath?

Maybe a quick bondo and paint job to make it look decent.
Unread 10-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
HokieYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You arent going to be able to just bang it out. It would look like a bag of walnuts. Its going to have to be pulled back, out and down a little. The metal will have to be right before you put filler on it. You cant just slap bondo on and expect things to fit right.

You are looking at about 6 to 8 hours of bodywork, plus paint. You can have a shop take it to filler and you can spray paint it. Or, you can have them fix it to the point that your bumper pieces will fit, and then just leave it.

Good luck!
HokieYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieYJ View Post
You arent going to be able to just bang it out. It would look like a bag of walnuts. Its going to have to be pulled back, out and down a little. The metal will have to be right before you put filler on it. You cant just slap bondo on and expect things to fit right.

You are looking at about 6 to 8 hours of bodywork, plus paint. You can have a shop take it to filler and you can spray paint it. Or, you can have them fix it to the point that your bumper pieces will fit, and then just leave it.

Good luck!
I agree with HokieYJ. estimate wise i would say around $700 which might be high.
Unread 10-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
crf450ish
1991 XJ Cherokee 

looks like its time to lift this bad boy a little and build a rear tire swing out bumper. do what "hokieyj" said and try and find yourself a decent bumper.....OR if you have the means...just build yourself one. it will draw the attention away from the bad spot and to the bumper thus hiding your mistake.
Unread 10-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
colt808
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000jeeper View Post
I agree with HokieYJ. estimate wise i would say around $700 which might be high.
High end body shops charge about $100/hour...after supplies, $700 might not be too bad.

I agree that slapping some bondo on it won't work...but you can do a pretty decent job on your own and cut some of the labor cost when you do take it to a shop. Hammering from the inside would be the way to start, to avoid the "bag of walnuts" look, use a 2x6 piece of wood on the opposite side as you "tap" out the general shape. If you want to give the job a try, consider 0getting a puller tool set from an parts store for about $30.

Take your time and you should be able to cut about 4-5 hours of labor charges.
colt808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
NYSLC93
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt808 View Post
High end body shops charge about $100/hour...after supplies, $700 might not be too bad.

I agree that slapping some bondo on it won't work...but you can do a pretty decent job on your own and cut some of the labor cost when you do take it to a shop. Hammering from the inside would be the way to start, to avoid the "bag of walnuts" look, use a 2x6 piece of wood on the opposite side as you "tap" out the general shape. If you want to give the job a try, consider 0getting a puller tool set from an parts store for about $30.

Take your time and you should be able to cut about 4-5 hours of labor charges.

Can you get to this from behind? I have yet to tear the trunk apart.

What's a "puller tool set"??
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
xjGeoff18
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would bang it as flat as I could get it nad throw some corner armor on it. Probably be cheaper look more unique and more protection

94 xj sold at 214,xxx miles

02 TJ 33's 4 inch lift and 8.8 rear.
xjGeoff18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

saw a guy on tv on trucks or somethin . he took the tail light out and got a hook puller in there first . once he pulled as much as he could; he went to tappin and pickin from back side . he used a slide hammer with a hook to pull first .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OP, did you ever get this quoted by a body shop?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
mistertierney
1998 XJ Cherokee 

JCR offroad has some pretty cool rear corner armor that would cover all that up. but those look like stock tires on there so probably not what your looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.