Correct way to paint this? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Correct way to paint this?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Correct way to paint this?

I'm working on reviving a ford 8.8" rear axle assembly from its rusty junkyard grave and I have got the brake mounting brackets cleaned up using the electrolysis method. When I paint these brackets, can I paint the whole thing or do I need to leave the mounting surface bare metal? Do I need to reinstall them before painting and then paint the whole assembly at once? Also what is the best way to prep the metal before paint? I'll be using Rust-oleum primer/paint in a spray can, they recommend soap/water prep, is that sufficient? Thanks!

Before:

After:

Unread 09-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Things like that i generaly never paint the mounting surfaces...

Just either grease or neverseize a VERY thin coat on the mounting surfaces carfefully not to get it on any other part of it,bolt it on the axle and paint away

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
ToledoDave

Ironworker is abolutely right. Having anything between two mating surfaces not originaly installed will jeopardize torque integrity on your bolts not to mention any offsets like shimming between parts. If I did paint over a surface I would definitely sand the surfaces back to metal before reinstalling.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.