Choosing body filler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Choosing body filler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 09-11-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
qnsmechanic1227
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Choosing body filler

I am looking for a good body filler to use, from what I gather Bondo is crap. I have hears of Eastwood brand and Evercoat but never used those or know anyone who has used them.

this is what i plan to do i already have the patch panel on and from what I read I should first put on an epoxy coat then some type of body filler with fiberbglass in it, then regular body filler then do guide coat and then a glaze putty then paint.

I would like to stick with a single company.

Thanks

qnsmechanic1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Indy

Thats a lot of steps. Standard body filler, primer, paint. If you need really thick, fiberglass reinforced will help, but really what you need is to redo the body work.

You only need glaze if you dont get a smooth finish in the plastic. Bondo will work in thin coats, it is supposed to crack easily in thicker. But tbh ive used it on several offroad projects and havent seen it happen. Back in the day i used golden extra for my nice projects, napa carries it. If its something that is going to see trail damage there js no point in spending a bunch of money or time.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
qnsmechanic1227
1996 XJ Cherokee 

its my daily driver and from my research has show me that these are the steps a body shop would use.
qnsmechanic1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Epoxy first. Sand with 180. Blow off, wipe down.

Use this for heavy fill

image-3690609334.jpg

And this for standard mud work

image-3212033906.jpg
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnsmechanic1227 View Post
its my daily driver and from my research has show me that these are the steps a body shop would use.
99% of them wouldnt. In done and out. And if 1 square foot of the car has that much work into it every other foot of the car wont. It would be like rolling a kid in mud and then wiping clean a spot on one of his cheeks. Except there will be no visual difference in the finished product if done correctly.

If i was having a full show car done for a 6 figure restore, probably, for a dd, probably not. But its yours so spend as much time on it as you feel the need.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.