Chassis black - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Chassis black

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 06-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Chassis black

Hey, I shot my frame on my CJ last sunday. Shot it with Nason chassis black from house of color. This paint does have acetone in it. If that matters?
On the can it said , " If paint looks pebbly after first coat, immediately apply another coat", so i did.
Ended up applying about 4 coats. Looked good and slick afterwards. When I got home from work Monday, it was all raised up. That gives you a funny sick feelling. This was probably 75 percent like this. So. Ive spent all week after work, knocking the highs off the raised up paint.
Okay. Here is what I did. And here is what a guy told me.
Temperature was probably 85 gegrees.
I shot the first, then immediately the second, then third, then fourth. I don't think I waited long enough between coats. That immediately thing got me, i guess?
Guy told me the acetone did not have time to escape before I reshot it. Hence the raised bubble crap.
Gettin ready to do it again tommorrow. Any help on best temp, or any help at all would be great. A little anxious after the first failure.

Thanks

Patter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
gtome

Im a little confused because Nason and House of Kolor are two different manufacturers??

But it does sound to me like you put too much on too quick. Lay down a nice solid wet coat let it sit however long it says (10 min??) then shoot the second, let it flash..etc..etc..

The good news is it will look like crap two weeks after you start driving it...so who cares how it looks. But I would get all you can back off, rescuff it, and shoot per specs. Sucks that it was a bad experience for you because normally you can do that stuff with your eyes closed and it can be pretty fun. Dont get discouraged!
Maybe before you shoot the whole thing again, redo a spot that is easy to sand if it gets jacked again, and just do a 2ft spot to check. Once it works better this time, you will have the confidence to finish it, and im sure it will look great. Be ready for your friends to want you to do theres for them too!!
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
Patter
1981 CJ5 

[QUOTE=gtome;9612684]Im a little confused because Nason and House of Kolor are two different manufacturers??

thanks gtome,

Sorry for the confusion. A local oriellys has a paint section in the back. Thought it was house of color? Maybe not.
I think Nason is actually a Dupont paint, I think?

Thanks for the tips. I will wait 10-15 between coats this time. I appreciate your time.

Peace

Patter
Unread 06-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
gtome

Yeah Nason is Dupont. I really doubt that Oriellys has House of Kolor, but stranger things have happened.
If you are useing acetone to thin the paint there is a pretty good chance it is an oil based paint. If so, most have a slow dry time and you may want to even give it a little more than 10 min flash time (maybe 20 min?) Read the can and see if it says how long. Good luck.
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Yeah Nason is Dupont. I really doubt that Oriellys has House of Kolor, but stranger things have happened.
If you are useing acetone to thin the paint there is a pretty good chance it is an oil based paint. If so, most have a slow dry time and you may want to even give it a little more than 10 min flash time (maybe 20 min?) Read the can and see if it says how long. Good luck.
gtome,

May have dreamed the house of color thing. Hell. I don't know?

The paint (Nason 422-05) is pre-mixed to shoot. But, I did read on the can that it does have acetone in it.
Developed a sinus infection over the last couple of days, so no paint this weekend.
Will let you know when I do though.

Thanks again!!

Patter
Unread 06-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
gtome

Haha!! Who knows? I only used Nason a few times, and never anything that was pre-mixed?? But let us know how it went for you. Dont let this frustrate you! Im sure it will go great next time! Post some pics!!
Unread 06-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
juangolf
1992 YJ Wrangler 

im thinking of doing this too, i have a YJ, its pretty brown under there, im going to sand off the best i can and then start with a coat, then the next.
which would you guys think i s the best paint to use? most lasting? ill post some pictures
juangolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
gtome

Besides powder coat, I dont think anything really lasts. I use the crappy rustoleum from Lowes or whatever. But I use a spray gun, and not spray paint. When it starts to look like crap, I just freshen it up. I like Rust Bullet too, but its kinda pricey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.