Buy a brand new hood instead of a paint job - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Buy a brand new hood instead of a paint job

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Buy a brand new hood instead of a paint job

Has anyone ever pursued this? The hood of my Jeep GC is peeling very badly. I was quoted $1200 by a local shop to repaint it. While I can almost guarantee it'll look great since I've seen some of their previous work, that price is outrageous for a 16 year old vehicle. So I thought today, why not buy a brand new, already painted hood? Rockauto has hoods for $240 shipped. Just probably not painted. Anybody got an idea, or can point me in the direction they took with their peeling hood? I'm looking to keep it ultra cheap, money is tight, and I don't have $1200 floating around...

RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I see no sense in buying a new hood if yours has paint problems only and no dents or rot...youre just paying for something you already have...a hood that needs painted...

Philly is a high cost city..so body shops charge a hefty price with all the overhead and material costs..unless you find a backyard painter.

Even if you get a good price to paint just the hood..it'll never match right..especialy since you said it was peeling and such....it's old paint and has faded all over and new paint will stick out like a sore thumb against all the other paint.

Even the cheapest urethane kits are about 200.00 for the base coat/clear coat with all the reducers and activators...and not talkin about cheapo acrylic .enamel or bottom of the barrel off the wall ebay paint that never lasts......and thats not including the filler primer to level out and fill scratches..and also not including the primer sealer...any filler work needed...etc...and then start addin up all the hours of labor to do it all....

And i'm bettin he's usin a much higher quality paint then a cheap 200.00 kit.........he'd have to get a custom paint match mixed the rest of it as much as possible....

Most people think paint job prices are real high...untill they've actualy seen all the prices of materials and many hours to do a job worth letting out of the shop with a good rep to stand behind it......

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
ontarioXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
I see no sense in buying a new hood if yours has paint problems only and no dents or rot...youre just paying for something you already have...a hood that needs painted...

Philly is a high cost city..so body shops charge a hefty price with all the overhead and material costs..unless you find a backyard painter.

Even if you get a good price to paint just the hood..it'll never match right..especialy since you said it was peeling and such....it's old paint and has faded all over and new paint will stick out like a sore thumb against all the other paint.

Even the cheapest urethane kits are about 200.00 for the base coat/clear coat with all the reducers and activators...and not talkin about cheapo acrylic .enamel or bottom of the barrel off the wall ebay paint that never lasts......and thats not including the filler primer to level out and fill scratches..and also not including the primer sealer...any filler work needed...etc...and then start addin up all the hours of labor to do it all....

And i'm bettin he's usin a much higher quality paint then a cheap 200.00 kit.........he'd have to get a custom paint match mixed the rest of it as much as possible....

Most people think paint job prices are real high...untill they've actualy seen all the prices of materials and many hours to do a job worth letting out of the shop with a good rep to stand behind it......
Very true
ontarioXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
atr911
2005 WK 

I'd find a hood of the same factory paint code and not worry about a slight difference in colour. All depends on how picky you are about cosmetics
atr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr911 View Post
I'd find a hood of the same factory paint code and not worry about a slight difference in colour. All depends on how picky you are about cosmetics
What do you think the likelihood is of finding another hood that isn't in the same condition as mine, and ultimately what causes the paint to start peeling?
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
chschs
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd krylon it. But that's me My "black" hood is almost nearly white from all the oxidization and I'll be painting it myself pretty soon. The last thing I care about is a factory look on a '93 vehicle.
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarioXJ View Post

Very true
Actually I think he is missing the fact that the new I painted hood won't require stripping/prepping the old paint. It might be a little cheaper if you provided a new hood. Call your paint guy and tell him what you're thinking of doing and ask if it would be any cheaper.

I don't know, I'm not a body guy, it just seems logical that something requiring less prep would be cheaper.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
Actually I think he is missing the fact that the new I painted hood won't require stripping/prepping the old paint. It might be a little cheaper if you provided a new hood. Call your paint guy and tell him what you're thinking of doing and ask if it would be any cheaper.

I don't know, I'm not a body guy, it just seems logical that something requiring less prep would be cheaper.
A brand new hood with the cheapo Ecoating they come with will also need to be stripped..well..any sensible body man would anyhow for the fact th Ecoat is really just nough to keep it from rusting before its delivered to the customer..its really cheap coating and always wise to remove it in fear of ruining a good paint job sooner than later from lifting and adhesion issues.....

Another thing is..any hoods you buy are aftermarket,even ones from mopar,they are contracted aftermarket companies..they are never the quality or as good a fitment as an original OEM hood...
I would never replace an original OEM body part unless it was destroyed

It would take a mere 1 hour or less to completely strip a hood of the old paint even with just a DA sander .....i dont think any of the body shops charge 200.00 or more an hour to strip a hood

You may save a little buy removing the hood yourself and stripping it your self,but remember if you do any deep sanding damage such as deep scratches or warpage from sanding too long in one spot,it'll rise the cost to fix that too.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
ontarioXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST

I am a paint and body guy , which is why i quoted ironworkers comment "very true".

If you want to go a cheap way you could always go to a wrecker or find someone parting a cherokee with the same body color. I wont match exact but it will be close.

And RIPNBST,
Prepping is prepping. With a shop prepping his old hood for new paint they will most likely take te DA sander to it with some 120 and then hit it with some 220 and coat it qith a 2part primer sealer anyways. This will fill any coarse scratches aswell and not take to much longer. New hoods come with a crappy primer on it and half the time when prepping it you break thru, and with breaking thru the primer there it has to be sealed before paint. That being said you will still have the same drying time as his primed old hood.
ontarioXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I were you, Id take the existing hood, and maybe paint it flat back or something with a rattle can. Give it the 'ricer' look.

Honestly, if I were in that situation (and Im getting there; my TJ needs work) Id boxline it.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

You could also roll the hood with 1 quart of Monstaliner
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman
You could also roll the hood with 1 quart of Monstaliner
Or get it wrapped... I would gladly pay the body shop if the vehicle was worth more than 20k, but your jeep? Make it look nice and protect from the elements. Save the money that you are saving driving an older well maintained vehicle.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

I sure as hell don't want the ricer look. But I am equally sure I don't want to sink $1200 into a 16 year old vehicle. What exactly is boxlining? I can't find anything on google. Monstaliner is an interesting idea, but I've heard it looks ugly and is hard to keep clean, and will depreciate the value of the vehicle.

I guess I could go full bore here, get corrugated steel bumpers, a big lift, big knobby tires, and paint the whole thing camo. That would solve all the problems (: but would probably run me above the $1200 cost of the paint job.
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Everyone hears things

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

JY hood.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.