Bought a YJ with unfinished paint...now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Bought a YJ with unfinished paint...now what?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Jeremy93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bought a YJ with unfinished paint...now what?

Hi all! Newbie here with my first post. I bought a 93 YJ as a project that didn't run, the paint job wasn't completed, and all interior parts and most external are in milk crates/coffee cans. I'm flying on this project!

Sunday-Looked at truck, made offer.
Monday (After work)-Trailered it home.
Tuesday (After work)-Got it running.
Wednesday (After work)- 1st coat of Herculiner to tub.
Thursday (After work)- 2nd & 3rd coat of Herculiner to tub.
Friday (today, after work)- I'll be reassembling the interior.

So I'm making great progress and though it would be longer until I had to figure out what to do with the paint. I know NOTHING about auto paint and have exactly 0 experience with it. The prior owner said he put 4 coats of Duplicolor on it, and all it needs is wet sanding and clearcoat. I knodded knowingly and thought to myself, "What the hell is wet sanding?"

Is this something I can do myself? What tools do I need? Will a paintshop just clearcoat it for cheap? And whats a fair price? Some of the hinges were removed and are developing rust.

I'm not looking to make this truck the Belle of the Ball, I just want it to look OK. I am also well known as a cheap-***. Here is my plan, and please give me your advice:

1. Grind down, prime and paint the hinges with Duplicolor spray cans.

2. Wet sand the body (whatever that is)

3. Take it to Maaco or some other dump for a clearcoat.

Or I could clearcoat it myself with rattle cans. Please advise!

Jeremy93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
soul_Less
1994 ZJ 

do you have any pics?
soul_Less is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
shadowulf
1990 YJ Wrangler 

jumping right in, aren't ya!

Ok, call around to several body shops. One of them might be needing the business and give you a better job than Maaco.

If he used "rattle can" paint, most shops will just laugh and walk away from it. They will not risk their rep on a "spray can base-coat". But you never know.

wet sanding involves wet-or-dry sand paper, water (duh) and lots of elbow grease.
You will be sanding out all the runs , drips, and "orange-peel" areas. trying to make it smooooooooooth as possible. Depending on how many coats the PO applied, you may need to go back and touch up the "thin spots". If it was a single stage paint, you could then use rubbing compound, then polishing compound, to rub it out to a shine.

Clearcoat will give it a "deeper" look, but involves alot of the same work on the clear.

That's why in the long run, shopping around for a shop to do it is often worth the extra $$$

just my 2 cents

Last edited by shadowulf; 04-09-2010 at 01:27 PM..
shadowulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Jeremy93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I will call around to a few different places. Maybe I can use this garbage Michigan economy to my advantage. Heck, maybe monday I'll even register it, put some insurance on it and the tail lights back on and take it to the shops for evaluation with $50 sticking out of my pocket! I'll also get some pics up here.
Unread 04-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #5
Fishtank
1983 CJ7 

The second DVD in this set tells you how to fix paint to make it look great even with boo-boos in it. Everything you ever wanted to know about painting..

Let's paint your car!
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Jeremy93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank for all the input. I've decided to go the el-cheapo route on the paint and finish it myself with clearcoat rattle cans. That'll leave more money for parts. I'd rather look shabby going down the road than look good on the side of it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.