post #1 of Old 02-23-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
kjmccar
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Prescott
Posts: 282
Bosh vs DeWalt buffing/polishing tool

This could go on any car forum (and probably get more responses)... but I only have an account here.

Anyway, I was looking into getting my TJ professionally buffed and waxed. But that's upwards of $210 at most places.

I think I am just going to buy a buffing tool, and then I can reuse it, as well as use it on family member's cars, etc.

My question here is on brand. I, myself am a Milwaukee guy, but the Milwaukee buffers are the most expensive. Ironically, the Bosh polishers are the cheapest, and IMO Bosch is the best. However, the DeWalt buffer (looks cooler and) has better reviews on Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience using the Bosh or DeWalt buffing tools who can comment on which would be the best for personal use?

Here's the links to each on Amazon.
Bosh: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GP712VS-...bosch+polisher
DeWalt: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP849X...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

kjmccar is offline  
post #2 of Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 562
I have both a Dewalt and a Makita with slow start. The Dewalt served me well for almost 15 years but after buying the Makita I wont buy another Dewalt for buffing
swirve is offline  
post #3 of Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
kjmccar
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Prescott
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
I have both a Dewalt and a Makita with slow start. The Dewalt served me well for almost 15 years but after buying the Makita I wont buy another Dewalt for buffing
Why's that?
kjmccar is offline  
post #4 of Old 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 562
Quiter, lighter.
swirve is offline  
post #5 of Old 02-25-2015, 01:19 PM
dwsutton
Member
 
dwsutton's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Franklin
Posts: 391
Woooweee if you have never buffed a car before and have never done buffed a old paint job also all I would say to you is be really careful. It is extremely easy to burn thru an old finish especially on corners. There are orbital buffers that are for applying wax and light buffing that would work better than the ones you are looking at with way less risk.

David - The Redneck Garage
http://www.theredneckgarage.com
Redneck Garage Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/c/RedneckGarage
dwsutton is offline  
post #6 of Old 02-26-2015, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
kjmccar
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Prescott
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsutton View Post
Woooweee if you have never buffed a car before and have never done buffed a old paint job also all I would say to you is be really careful. It is extremely easy to burn thru an old finish especially on corners. There are orbital buffers that are for applying wax and light buffing that would work better than the ones you are looking at with way less risk.
I've buffed cars by hand before... but that's tedious and seems to only go so far. My Jeep is around 11yrs old, would you consider that an "old finish." This is my first time buffing my jeep.
kjmccar is offline  
post #7 of Old 02-26-2015, 11:46 AM
1320yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 661
The old Milwaukee buffers are bullet proof I have one that is over 35 years old and other than replacing the brushes twice and the switch once it ha been trouble free. But they are incredibly heavy and expensive. Although I never had a Bosch buffer I have had durability issues with their other products.
My wife has a Snap-On buffer that is over 10 years old that has been good but now needs a new switch , it is a Dewalt buffer in a black colored case. I did paint and body for years and my wife details cars so both have been heavily used . For my money the Dewalt is a good choice.

1995 2.5 5Speed SOA 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
1320yj is offline  
post #8 of Old 02-26-2015, 12:06 PM
swirve
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj
The old Milwaukee buffers are bullet proof I have one that is over 35 years old and other than replacing the brushes twice and the switch once it ha been trouble free. But they are incredibly heavy and expensive. Although I never had a Bosch buffer I have had durability issues with their other products. My wife has a Snap-On buffer that is over 10 years old that has been good but now needs a new switch , it is a Dewalt buffer in a black colored case. I did paint and body for years and my wife details cars so both have been heavily used . For my money the Dewalt is a good choice.
Dewalt 849. Great buffer but once you use the Makita you wont go back
swirve is offline  
post #9 of Old 02-26-2015, 02:04 PM
1320yj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
Dewalt 849. Great buffer but once you use the Makita you wont go back
I have a 4" Makita angle grinder that is great and a good friend of mine has a Makita buffer and he loves it. He is also a professional detailer and uses it constantly.

1995 2.5 5Speed SOA 33x12.50 Mud Rovers
1320yj is offline  
post #10 of Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 PM
dwsutton
Member
 
dwsutton's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Franklin
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmccar View Post
I've buffed cars by hand before... but that's tedious and seems to only go so far. My Jeep is around 11yrs old, would you consider that an "old finish." This is my first time buffing my jeep.
Yes. Consider this - say I have a clearcoat car that has been 1500 wetsanded and buffed in the past - the clear is getting thinner already. The type of buffers you are looking at are higher RPM and can easily burn clearcoat off the corners - for example Ive painted and buffed a few hundred cars and even then on a fresh ( ok maybe too fresh burned thru the paint on a hood I finished painting with 3 coats of clear. I believe you would be better off with an orbital buffer UNLESS - you are in a position to repaint if it eats something up. If you look closer to the end you can see where a buffer ate the paint - it is pretty easy to doe especially on a thin older finish,

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=0_TOAu2UVdk"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0_TOAu2UVdk[/ame]

David - The Redneck Garage
http://www.theredneckgarage.com
Redneck Garage Youtube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/c/RedneckGarage
dwsutton is offline  
post #11 of Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 AM
Copperhead89
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,325
I have the Makita 9227C and love it. Works great. It has variable speed settings and a strong motor. It's a professional grade tool.
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=T2

My YJ/CJ V8 Magnum Build: http://jeepforum.com/forum/f22/magnum-force-mopar-mans-build-1412306/
Copperhead89 is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome