Bosh vs DeWalt buffing/polishing tool - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Bosh vs DeWalt buffing/polishing tool

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 02-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bosh vs DeWalt buffing/polishing tool

This could go on any car forum (and probably get more responses)... but I only have an account here.

Anyway, I was looking into getting my TJ professionally buffed and waxed. But that's upwards of $210 at most places.

I think I am just going to buy a buffing tool, and then I can reuse it, as well as use it on family member's cars, etc.

My question here is on brand. I, myself am a Milwaukee guy, but the Milwaukee buffers are the most expensive. Ironically, the Bosh polishers are the cheapest, and IMO Bosch is the best. However, the DeWalt buffer (looks cooler and) has better reviews on Amazon.

Does anyone have any experience using the Bosh or DeWalt buffing tools who can comment on which would be the best for personal use?

Here's the links to each on Amazon.
Bosh: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GP712VS-...bosch+polisher
DeWalt: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWP849X...ref=pd_cp_hi_0

kjmccar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have both a Dewalt and a Makita with slow start. The Dewalt served me well for almost 15 years but after buying the Makita I wont buy another Dewalt for buffing
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
I have both a Dewalt and a Makita with slow start. The Dewalt served me well for almost 15 years but after buying the Makita I wont buy another Dewalt for buffing
Why's that?
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quiter, lighter.
Unread 02-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
dwsutton
David- Redneck Garage

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Woooweee if you have never buffed a car before and have never done buffed a old paint job also all I would say to you is be really careful. It is extremely easy to burn thru an old finish especially on corners. There are orbital buffers that are for applying wax and light buffing that would work better than the ones you are looking at with way less risk.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dwsutton
dwsutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
kjmccar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsutton View Post
Woooweee if you have never buffed a car before and have never done buffed a old paint job also all I would say to you is be really careful. It is extremely easy to burn thru an old finish especially on corners. There are orbital buffers that are for applying wax and light buffing that would work better than the ones you are looking at with way less risk.
I've buffed cars by hand before... but that's tedious and seems to only go so far. My Jeep is around 11yrs old, would you consider that an "old finish." This is my first time buffing my jeep.
Unread 02-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
1320yj

The old Milwaukee buffers are bullet proof I have one that is over 35 years old and other than replacing the brushes twice and the switch once it ha been trouble free. But they are incredibly heavy and expensive. Although I never had a Bosch buffer I have had durability issues with their other products.
My wife has a Snap-On buffer that is over 10 years old that has been good but now needs a new switch , it is a Dewalt buffer in a black colored case. I did paint and body for years and my wife details cars so both have been heavily used . For my money the Dewalt is a good choice.
Unread 02-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #8
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320yj
The old Milwaukee buffers are bullet proof I have one that is over 35 years old and other than replacing the brushes twice and the switch once it ha been trouble free. But they are incredibly heavy and expensive. Although I never had a Bosch buffer I have had durability issues with their other products. My wife has a Snap-On buffer that is over 10 years old that has been good but now needs a new switch , it is a Dewalt buffer in a black colored case. I did paint and body for years and my wife details cars so both have been heavily used . For my money the Dewalt is a good choice.
Dewalt 849. Great buffer but once you use the Makita you wont go back
Unread 02-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
1320yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
Dewalt 849. Great buffer but once you use the Makita you wont go back
I have a 4" Makita angle grinder that is great and a good friend of mine has a Makita buffer and he loves it. He is also a professional detailer and uses it constantly.
Unread 02-28-2015, 11:33 PM   #10
dwsutton
David- Redneck Garage

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmccar View Post
I've buffed cars by hand before... but that's tedious and seems to only go so far. My Jeep is around 11yrs old, would you consider that an "old finish." This is my first time buffing my jeep.
Yes. Consider this - say I have a clearcoat car that has been 1500 wetsanded and buffed in the past - the clear is getting thinner already. The type of buffers you are looking at are higher RPM and can easily burn clearcoat off the corners - for example Ive painted and buffed a few hundred cars and even then on a fresh ( ok maybe too fresh burned thru the paint on a hood I finished painting with 3 coats of clear. I believe you would be better off with an orbital buffer UNLESS - you are in a position to repaint if it eats something up. If you look closer to the end you can see where a buffer ate the paint - it is pretty easy to doe especially on a thin older finish,

http://www.youtube.com/user/dwsutton
dwsutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have the Makita 9227C and love it. Works great. It has variable speed settings and a strong motor. It's a professional grade tool.
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=T2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.