Body Rust Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Body Rust Repair

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Body Rust Repair

So i've been doing some searching on this forum to get some info on rust repair, but haven't been to successful. I have some pretty bad rust spots on the body because of paint chips and plan on fixing them this summer. Then if money allows let maaco do a cheap, down 'n dirty paint job. I need some help on what methods and materials are used in fixing different types of rust. I'll start off with some pictures:

First, the rust bubble. This is located on the bottom edge on the passenger side rocker panel. I'm guessing sand it down, grind what is left, but not sure what to do from there. I'm probably also going to need to get behind it and make sure there is not rust there to.

Here is the first of two large paint chips. You can see that more paint has chipped off recently and if I wanted to I could go out there and just start pulling more chips off, so I'm not sure how do address this. Oh, and this is located on the passenger side rear quarter panel, just above the fender. These two pics should also be flipped, not sure why they aren't.

And finally, the worst one of them all. This is due to the previous owner rolling the jeep. I'm not sure if they did body work on it and it was just really crappy work, or it was just left alone. I also know this is a bad spot because it is just under the passenger side taillight where one of the body mounts is. Like to the previous paint ship, it is pretty deep and I'm not sure how far it keeps going under the paint.

I'm guessing this is mostly caused be the previous owner laying it on its side because it all seems to be on the passenger side. Also what should I do to seal it? Since I don't want to worry about paint, would a good primer/sealer be good?

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated.

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
mattyrayb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

damn did they skim coat the jeep with bondo or something? or is the camera just really REALLY close up
mattyrayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
SFC_Medina
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mighty Glass works well. Check out my post at the following link: Summary of a YJ Face Lift - Jeep Wrangler Forum
SFC_Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyrayb View Post
damn did they skim coat the jeep with bondo or something? or is the camera just really REALLY close up
The camera isn't THAT close, I can go take pics not so close though. But I am taking pics with a 14.7 megapixel camera at 4000x3000 pixels, so it makes it look a bit bigger. I would also guess the chips are 1/16 of an inch to 2/16 of an inch deep.
Unread 05-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

That's alot of body filler(bondo)

Your going to have to grind all that body filler off,grind away all the rust and hope the metal is still thick enough.Redo all the body work and repaint.

Or cut out bad panels and replace with new panels and repaint.

Improper surface prep was the cause of your issues.Your Jeep was wrecked and repaired very badly.
Unread 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
That's alot of body filler(bondo)

Your going to have to grind all that body filler off,grind away all the rust and hope the metal is still thick enough.Redo all the body work and repaint.

Or cut out bad panels and replace with new panels and repaint.

Improper surface prep was the cause of your issues.Your Jeep was wrecked and repaired very badly.
It was known when my dad bought it that the first owner laid it on its side, but I guess we never knew just how bad it was. I saw on quadratec they have new body panels in the area of 40-50 dollars. Maybe It would be easier just to replace the panels? We do have a welder, but replacing body panels seems a bit hard.

Or maybe I should just take it to Colorado Auto Body and let them rape me of my money.
Unread 05-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
gtome

WOW

You are gunna have to get that off of there. I think I see a full strip in your future. If they are willing to do that...... who knows what other crazy stuff they have done. I hope the metal can be saved!! Looks pretty crusty though.

Where is that on the Jeep? The pics are pretty close, and I dont have a Jeep yet, so im not sure where the damage is located.
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.