blast it vs. sand flat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > blast it vs. sand flat

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

blast it vs. sand flat

hey,

I'm looking to paint my cj5 in a month or so and i'm a little stuck. i can't decide if i want to pull the tub and have it blasted or if i should sand down everything and paint it smooth. it has a little surface rust at the back and the rockers are dented/wavy. it also has some bondo on one side and seems to have anywere from 1 to 4 coats of paint all over. the bottom is very rusty (surface rust it seems) which is the main reason i want to sandblast but not sure if it is worth it. i got quotes for $25 and hour for 1 person and $35 for 2 people at my local blasters and they claim the sand won't pit the metal so it sounds promising.

what do you think?

Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #2
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i would buy a sand blaster and do it myself. if you go this route, get decent one. i bought cheap once and regretted it
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you've got access to a big air compressor, don't think too much into buying a sandblasting unit. It's cheaper to stand over someone's shoulder while they blast to keep them on their toes.

To answer you big question I would blast it instead of mechanically sanding it down. I'd just make sure they know its 18ga mostly un-reinforced steel and not some thick walled pipe. I'd also make sure I could witness them blasting it to keep them from pitting it. Their Equipment will be capable of punching holes through the metal, so it will be up to the operator to keep it from happening.

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Goobersbro

HOLY cow thats cheap I was quoted at 125 an hour for one place to blast my jeep and the other place wanted around 500 just for the tub. He said doors windshield hood and tailgait would be extra hahaha....So all in all I'm buying a media blaster with my boss we have everything excpet the blaster and since we both have projects we need blasted its way cheaper for us just to buy one
Unread 04-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #5
fretout
2005 TJ Wrangler 

IMHO, I would sand the Jeep by hand for a few reasons. In my experience, when you sand down the vehicle, you will notice any flaws (dents, dings, depressions, ect.) that need to be repaired during the prep stage that may not be noticed if the Jeep is sandblasted.

Also, I have heard some "horror stories" of Jeeps that have been sandblasted, and it ended up "distorting the metal". I have heard that media blasting (walnut shells in particlular) worked well, and did not cause any warpage to the metal, but again, hand sanding would take more time, but would be worth the extra effort.

Whatever you decide, POST PICS! Good luck!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.