Best way to fix crumpled body? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Best way to fix crumpled body?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
ChanceStock
1985 CJ7 

Best way to fix crumpled body?

Here are a shots of my damage. The jeep was in a front end crash and the rocker panels were crunched a little. Sorry if it's hard to tell in the pictures. But what is the best way to fix this as best as possible at home?

image-1463382399.jpg

image-2488835549.jpg

ChanceStock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

frame still straight? that buckling is a sign. body shift off the mounts?
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
ChanceStock
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
frame still straight? that buckling is a sign. body shift off the mounts?
frame is only bent on the very end where the bumper mounts. Doesn't effect driving.
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

How did you check that? Just eyeball it?
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
ChanceStock
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
How did you check that? Just eyeball it?
we had it checked at a shop
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
ToledoDave

Ouch! How does the door fit? I would get a stud gun and start studding and pulling the dents outs. If door still fits with 3-4 mm gaps all around then ya got lucky.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
ToledoDave

Just food for thought.... our 700 miles 3 week old JK T-boned a drunk kid turning left in front of us. Front axle bent and frame diamonded and rt side frame horn raised 1.5 inches and it couldnt be straightened or pulled. As far as body dmg. Only rt fender and bumper replaced. You occured alot! More dmg in the body which makes me want to think theres more frame dmg then ya see. Were at 13k dmg on a 700 mile vehicle. Seeing your body dmg tells me your in a pickle. I would bet theres more dmg.
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A propane torch and a set of different hammers can fix it. That's how I fixed a few dents on my Jeep.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
goldhammer
1988 XJ Cherokee 

This from a bodyman with over 35 years in the trade.....that damage says to me that the frame is down at the cowl(firewall) to cause buckles there, and I would say it's down by at least 1/2 inch, maybe a little more. You need to get it checked with gauges, etc and see where the datum is at and that it is straight all the way through.
When the frame is straight then you can finish working out the rest of it by hammer and dolly since most of it is single wall and has access from both sides. Most should come out with the frame pull and they can work it then as well.
goldhammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
ToledoDave

You wont be able to dolly anything on that rocker. There is an inner panel inside the rocker. Your only chance is to pull the dents with an Eagle dent puller or a stud gun type. You wont get behind that panel. As far as frame damage. Frame isnt connected to body but hy only body bolts. Which all the body bolt mounts are floating nuts inside the cage. Problem u have is if the outter skin is dmged and the interior is then the panel on the inside is too. The rockers are the strongest area on that body. I agree theres more frame dmg then meets the eye but a rocker repair like that is not going to be easy. If you only knew how many of those I have repaired. Good luck.
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
duramax-rob
1995 ZJ 

Retired bodyman. seems the frame is still not correct. if body to frame bolts look like the arent offcenter or in a pinch, then the frame and body are still bent. pull the frame and body at same time and work the kinks in body out while straightning.
duramax-rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.