Best way to buff out scratches and polish old paint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Best way to buff out scratches and polish old paint?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best way to buff out scratches and polish old paint?

I know nothing about body work. I know there are a gazillion products out there and many different buffers etc. I've asked this question before and have been told "Get a buffer and some compound....." I would like specifics. What kind of buffer? What kind of pads? What kind of compound?

My Jeep is 10 years old. There are places where I had stickers removed and you can still see the outline. How can I buff all this out and bring some life back to my old paint?

BChamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Zone

Go to autogeek.net and read the Expert Advice on the left hand side of the page. That will help you a lot. Better yet, call them via their 1-800 number and let them help you.

Generally, you'll probably need a polishing compound (or maybe rubbing compound which is more aggressive) and a Porter Cable buffer with pads. When your finished removing the top layer of paint, you'll need to put down a really good wax job.

I used Zaino Fusion on my car and it worked great, but that's probably not the right product for your Jeep.

Not me, but that is my car getting the Fusion job.
Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting one of those.
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
skipper
2002 TJ Wrangler 

its a jeep put a little more mud on it and drive. lol
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use an Porter Cable orbital buffer and Príma products. They have some really awesome products and are locally based in Colorado which is how I found out about them. They have 3 levels of polish and an awesome wax, and all their products are water soluble. I used their stuff from friends beater cars to a Lamborghini Gallardo. I have some pics, I just have to dig them up. But for now here's a link:

http://stores.shopprimacarcare.com/StoreFront.bok

There stuff isn't horribly priced and is (IMO) better than the stuff you get at any department store (mothers, turtle, etc.). They also have a broad range of products, not just paint care, but interior. They have this stuff called Nero for plastics, rubber, and vinyl that is amazing and smells like bananas.

I think I've used these pictures before, and I have to admit I can see some swirls. These pictures were taken a couple years ago and I had to dig them up, I wish I had some better ones.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, looks nice. I'll add that to my spring things to do.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.