Best product&method to restore exterior plastics? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Best product&method to restore exterior plastics?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
ATrueRyno
2000 WJ 

Best product&method to restore exterior plastics?

I've got a white 2000 WJ that the exterior plastic could use some restoring. I've seen this one commercial on TV advertising some "renew it" product or something close to that and all you have to do is wipe it on and you're done, but I have my doubts about that. My Jeep has the grayish plastic on it that should be a darker gray and a couple days ago I made the dumb mistake of trying to pour a bottle of Lucas in my gas tank without using a funnel and it ran all down the plastic and now it's discolored and looks horrible below the fuel door. It actually looks like all of it should, but im surely not gonna buy a case of Lucas and wipe all the plastic down with it. I've heard using a heat gun "CAN" work and other products that are out there, but I've never had a vehicle with plastic on the outside of it either lol. Any advice, tips, tricks, product recommendations, etc. are appreciated!

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
zookeeper93
1965 FSJ Wagoneer 

Not sure if what I have to offer is what you are looking for. My jeep has black plastic parts (bumper ends, fender flares) and they are faded. I bought Meguiar's Ultimate black for my plastic. It does look nice when first applied. Go sparingly and buff a lot with a lint free rag (like a flour sack dish cloth). My fender flares are not smooth and terry rags leave lint behind. The ultimate black is also oil and it did seem to bleed onto the paint of the jeep and attracted dirt.
SEM paint for plastic is what we ultimately repainted the fender flares with. Do clean the plastics very well, lightly scuff, used SEM adhesion promoter as well. While we were at it, we painted some of the plastic parts of the interior Khaki as well, as the dash is dark grey and the paint is Light Khaki metallic. Looks good and if done right, doesn't scratch off. Had to redo the ac vents a few times as we were not as thorough in prepping them. Lesson learned. Do not hurry when painting if you want great results.
Hope that helps.
zookeeper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
ATrueRyno
2000 WJ 

Thanks for the input! I'll look into it. Anyone else got any solutions? I've even thought so far as to possibly having them powder coated?
Unread 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My fender flares and hard top just get wiped down once a year with Penetrol. Everything looks brand new despite the plastic being ten years old. No fancy processes involved. I just wipe it on with some old T-shirts I've cut up for rags, let it sit for about an hour, then wipe off any excess with a clean rag. A $10 can seems to last me about three or four years.
OCS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As an example, here's my 11 year old fender flares. They were a greenish grey when I bought my Jeep 4 years ago. Restored with Penetrol.

Unread 03-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
ATrueRyno
2000 WJ 

Looks good! They carry that at most auto parts stores?
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrueRyno View Post
Looks good! They carry that at most auto parts stores?
Nope. It's in the paint section of most any hardware store. It's with the thinners and additives.
Edit: Flood is the company that makes it. Look for a white & orange can.
Unread 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
ATrueRyno
2000 WJ 

I'll look into it! Thanks! I'm sure this is something you don't want to come in contact with the paint, right?
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll look into it! Thanks! I'm sure this is something you don't want to come in contact with the paint, right?
I wouldn't leave it on my Jeep, but I get it on the paint accidentally pretty much every time I use it. I've never seen any hint of a problem. It's sold as an oil-based paint thinner, rust stopper, and fiberglass color restorer (kind of an odd mix!), so I wouldn't think it's overly harmful.
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
ATrueRyno
2000 WJ 

I just came across this on a local Jeep specialty shop's website, interesting. I may try this!

Are you a proud owner of a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee and your looking for
a way to revise the fade on your lower/outer body panels? After trying just about everything on the market including spray dyes, armorall and other sprays on the market, we have found a solution for you! Crown makes a product called Boiled Linseed Oil that will bring your fade back to shine!! You can pick it up in local hardware stores generally located in the paint section. It will cost you approx $8.00 for a can which is a very cheap investment for the look that you will achieve. Give it a try on your Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee Laredo editions and let us know the results!!
Unread 03-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just came across this on a local Jeep specialty shop's website, interesting. I may try this!

Are you a proud owner of a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee and your looking for
a way to revise the fade on your lower/outer body panels? After trying just about everything on the market including spray dyes, armorall and other sprays on the market, we have found a solution for you! Crown makes a product called Boiled Linseed Oil that will bring your fade back to shine!! You can pick it up in local hardware stores generally located in the paint section. It will cost you approx $8.00 for a can which is a very cheap investment for the look that you will achieve. Give it a try on your Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee Laredo editions and let us know the results!!
That's pretty funny. If you pull up the fact sheet on Penetrol, one of the main ingredients is linseed oil.
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCS12 View Post
Nope. It's in the paint section of most any hardware store. It's with the thinners and additives.
Edit: Flood is the company that makes it. Look for a white & orange can.

And I would suggest not improvising with just any oily product; most oils break down plastic, pleather and rubber in a hurry.
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnaut View Post
And I would suggest not improvising with just any oily product; most oils break down plastic, pleather and rubber in a hurry.
It's hardly improvising with an oily product. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of people who've used Penetrol on this site with no ill effects. And with years of use on my fender flares and hard top, I can personally say I can't find any possible problems other than it smells bad when being applied. I wouldn't recommend something if I thought it would damage someone else's Jeep.
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

OCS12, my remark was not directed at Penetrol. I meant that it's a bad idea to substitute any other oil product in place of one that is recommended (in this case Penetrol).
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #15
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnaut View Post
OCS12, my remark was not directed at Penetrol. I meant that it's a bad idea to substitute any other oil product in place of one that is recommended (in this case Penetrol).
No worries. I just saw myself quoted in that and misread it. My bad.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.