Best paint for Rock Sliders?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Best paint for Rock Sliders??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/

Unread 11-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

Best paint for Rock Sliders??

Just picked up a set of JCR classic Sliders for my JK bare metal. Theres a ton of options for painting them Im looking to see what most people go with on here. I hear the easiest and cheapest is the good ole rattle can job and I am leaning towards that but would like something with a little texture that way it has a bit of a grip since it will be used as a step as well as protection (i'm 6'3 but all my passengers hate jumping into my jeep lol). any input would be much appreciated thank you!

wjgiants39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love the rustolum rattle can bed liner. It's a good tough paint with a perfect light texture.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 11-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
karlo

Spend a little more and use Line-X for grip and protection. Other spray-on liners are ok; just remember that prep is the key.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #4
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

I Picked up two cans of Duplicolor bed armor. a buddy of mine used it and loved in for his fenders. In terms of the prep work I plan on cleaning them off real good and bought self etching primer to promote adhesion. Would I need anything else? I figured the self etching primer will be good for adhesion and the primer coats then I could Just apply the bed armor. hopefully it doesn't fade I heard a lot of the bed liner products fade overtime and don't keep their color
Unread 11-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlo View Post
Spend a little more and use Line-X for grip and protection. Other spray-on liners are ok; just remember that prep is the key.
If you just want them to look pretty this works, but if you plan to use them as rock sliders it will peel and look like crap after the first trip.

I personally use Rustoleum textured. Looks nice and blends well after repainting. It doesn't give grip for a step though.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
wjgiants39
2014 JK Wrangler 

Here are the results using duplicolor bed armor spray! Overall pleased with the results not as much texture to give a grip but it's still better than regular paint hopefully it holds up well!

image-1166159499.jpg
Unread 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
hbrink123

Rhino lining is the way to go. I don't know about were you live, but at my auto parts store they have it and it's not to expensive. It has great grip and it protects good. I rhino lined the whole inside of my wrangler. And my side steps. It holds up really well
hbrink123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
IH8PEPL
So glad its not a Fiat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeffrey View Post
I love the rustolum rattle can bed liner.
This! $7 bucks a can, and you can touch it up anytime...

I don't know why you would bedline or linex a rocker guard - first time over a rock and its shredded...
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post

I don't know why you would bedline or linex a rocker guard - first time over a rock and its shredded...
Not everyone wheels.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If you use your rock slider as a step, you'll appreciate the non-skid surface of a bedlined surface. I sprayed mine with Monstaliner. If it gets scraped up, it can easily be touched up.
Unread 12-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
IH8PEPL
So glad its not a Fiat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
If you use your rock slider as a step, you'll appreciate the non-skid surface of a bedlined surface.
This I agree with - that's why I use Rustoleum bed liner in a can, $7 at Walmart. I just didn't understand why someone would spend possibly $100s of dollars to have rocker guards LineX'ed only to have them get scrapped to sh*t first time they get used. I guess that's a non issue if you don't offroad.

Still, rubberized bedliner doesn't look as pretty after a few years of sun/weather exposure... and will look even worse after being barraged with road dirt and rocks from the front tires.
Unread 12-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This I agree with - that's why I use Rustoleum bed liner in a can, $7 at Walmart. I just didn't understand why someone would spend possibly $100s of dollars to have rocker guards LineX'ed only to have them get scrapped to sh*t first time they get used. I guess that's a non issue if you don't offroad.

Still, rubberized bedliner doesn't look as pretty after a few years of sun/weather exposure... and will look even worse after being barraged with road dirt and rocks from the front tires.
I agree that Linex would be unwise from a cost standpoint. But, do you really think rattle can paint will hold up better than Monstaliner, with respect to sun exposure, rocks and road dirt? I think not. BTW, Monstaliner isn't "rubberized", and it is UV stable.
Unread 12-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
IH8PEPL
So glad its not a Fiat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
But, do you really think rattle can paint will hold up better than Monstaliner, with respect to sun exposure, rocks and road dirt? I think not. BTW, Monstaliner isn't "rubberized", and it is UV stable.
No, but at least if it starts looking like crap after a few years you can easily remove it in an hour and redo it or touch it up better than Line-x. I have no experience with Monstaliner, but most truck bed coatings are rubberized and look good for a month or 2 before turning greyish black and showing wear.

My rattle can armor works just fine for me. Under $20 to do my rockers, rear bumper and corner armor. 3 years with minimal touch ups and still looking pretty.
Unread 12-09-2014, 04:34 AM   #14
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjgiants39 View Post
...any input would be much appreciated
FYI - Recommendations: Touching-up Scratches & Rust Spots - Blk. Steel Bumper/Rocker Guards - JeepForum.com
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/...uards-2078290/
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca
TrailRated2011 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, but at least if it starts looking like crap after a few years you can easily remove it in an hour and redo it or touch it up better than Line-x. I have no experience with Monstaliner, but most truck bed coatings are rubberized and look good for a month or 2 before turning greyish black and showing wear.
Monstaliner is not "rubberized". Monstaliner is a two part catalyzed urethane product, and since it is 100% UV protected, it won't fade from the sun. I've used Monstaliner all over my Jeep, and I'm satisfied with the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.