Best "Over the Counter" Spray Undercoat or Bedliner - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
nsbohn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Best "Over the Counter" Spray Undercoat or Bedliner

There are about a zillion threads on here about the different available methods and types of spray on Bedliner and Undercoatings available from Rhinoliner to Line X to Herculiner to Rustoleum spray and everyone says the same thing. If you have the money, great spend it on Rhinoliner, if not Herculiner works just as well if not better for a lot less money.

Thats all fine and dandy, except I don't have access to a decent air compressor right now, and I need to spray the inside of my tub. I like the idea of it being REALLY CHEAP. As in less than 100 dollars, which less face it, if you want to buy herculiner your gonna spend at least that.

I can go to Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace Hardware/Wal-Mart and buy about 30 different kinds of undercoat or bedliner but I have NO IDEA what I'm buying, other than, its cheap, it comes out of a rattle can, and it looks like rubbery paint.

What kind is going to give me good value?

Are any of them going to work/look/last better than the others?

Is there less prep required? (I doubt it but hey who knows)

If you've done it before and have experience using the low end stuff please share!!!

Famous Last Words: "Hey Mom! Watch this!"
No Brains, No Headache.
Check out my website, click on Links to see all of my web projects. http://www.nicholasbohn.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm not big into the rattle can stuff for actual lining the tub, but have used it on my sliders with some success. I used Rustoleum bed liner in a can. Prep is prep. The better you do it the better the final product will turn out. Don't know if you know this, but Herculiner has a $30 rebate going right now through WalMart. http://www.herculiner.com/walmart_store_list.html
spazhogdog likes this.
post #3 of 57 Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbohn View Post
There are about a zillion threads on here about the different available methods and types of spray on Bedliner and Undercoatings available from Rhinoliner to Line X to Herculiner to Rustoleum spray and everyone says the same thing. If you have the money, great spend it on Rhinoliner, if not Herculiner works just as well if not better for a lot less money.

Thats all fine and dandy, except I don't have access to a decent air compressor right now, and I need to spray the inside of my tub. I like the idea of it being REALLY CHEAP. As in less than 100 dollars, which less face it, if you want to buy herculiner your gonna spend at least that.

I can go to Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace Hardware/Wal-Mart and buy about 30 different kinds of undercoat or bedliner but I have NO IDEA what I'm buying, other than, its cheap, it comes out of a rattle can, and it looks like rubbery paint.

What kind is going to give me good value?

Are any of them going to work/look/last better than the others?

Is there less prep required? (I doubt it but hey who knows)

If you've done it before and have experience using the low end stuff please share!!!
Have you thought about rolling?

This was rolled. There's no rough particles just a nice uniform bumpy texture.

If you want more info and a chance to discuss with hundreds of happy users come to the vendor section, Monstaliner thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Manufacturers of CHASSIS SAVER™ Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Connect with us on:

Watch How To Videos:

post #4 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
nsbohn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The link for Herculiner comes back as saying only valid "June 1-July 31, 2006" Not a typo. 2006 LOL. Not so sure about that one, and it does look a little bit on the rough side when rolled on. Maybe I'll look into it though. Thanks for the thoughts. Any suggestions other than Rustoleum? ValSpar makes a similar product, and theres a couple different brands available at the Auto Parts stores too.

Famous Last Words: "Hey Mom! Watch this!"
No Brains, No Headache.
Check out my website, click on Links to see all of my web projects. http://www.nicholasbohn.com
post #5 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

Doh! I never opened the rebate.
post #6 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 AM
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

just make sure that you dont use undercoating as it will never get solid and when its warm might be stickyother than that i have not had any experience with the bedliners yet except for the dealer applied spray in on my chevy
post #7 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 AM
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just did spray upol raptor, and it was the was just as good as linex, and super easy to easy, i was done in about two hours, rolling is a pain especialy in the small areas where a roller cant get to
post #8 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
jmonier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I used platikote premium bedliner on my grill. It has a very sandy texture to it. Its holding up so far. On my truck I got a $100 herculiner kit that came with the roller and pads and whatnot. Worked good. Just make sure you prep good.
post #9 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Whobeme
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbohn View Post
Thats all fine and dandy, except I don't have access to a decent air compressor right now, and I need to spray the inside of my tub.
This is why I didn't recommend anything that needs to be sprayed with a compressor.
post #10 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 AM
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEDZ04LJ View Post
I just did spray upol raptor, and it was the was just as good as linex, and super easy to easy, i was done in about two hours, rolling is a pain especialy in the small areas where a roller cant get to
How long did masking take you?

Connect with us on:

Watch How To Videos:

post #11 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
RJMICP
1984 CJ7 

used Herculiner in my previous YJ, and would NEVER use it again!!! it doesn't hold up, fades to a dark gray(I used black), and could be scratched off with my fingernail... and trust me, I prepped REALLY good!!! the YJ I'm getting ready to do, I'm really considering the Monstaliner... any deals/rebates goin on with them?
post #12 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 02:53 PM
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMICP View Post
used Herculiner in my previous YJ, and would NEVER use it again!!! it doesn't hold up, fades to a dark gray(I used black), and could be scratched off with my fingernail... and trust me, I prepped REALLY good!!! the YJ I'm getting ready to do, I'm really considering the Monstaliner... any deals/rebates goin on with them?
See the Promo link in my signature below

Let me know if you have any questions

Connect with us on:

Watch How To Videos:

post #13 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
turpehar
1977 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
See the Promo link in my signature below

Let me know if you have any questions
Magnet, I requested some of your product for side by side testing against the Raptor product. You forget about me/my idea?

I've been married so long I don't bother looking
both ways before crossing the road.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $˛ = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

post #14 of 57 Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 PM
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpehar View Post
Magnet, I requested some of your product for side by side testing against the Raptor product. You forget about me/my idea?
I remember you from the Monstaliner thread. Please PM me what you have in mind. Sorry if I missed your questions before.

Connect with us on:

Watch How To Videos:

post #15 of 57 Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

I did the Monstaliner last year and it still looks great and thats after a full year in the Texas sun without a top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.