Best olive drab paint and bedliner. Need opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Best olive drab paint and bedliner. Need opinions

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 04-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
punkerpirate
1979 CJ7 

Best olive drab paint and bedliner. Need opinions

I'm definately going to paint my CJ in OD, but haven't decided if I want a bit of a gloss (so 14087) or matte (34087). I'm not going to rattle can it -- I'm able to make a spray booth and have the equipment. Looking for something that will last awhile. Also want to bedline the entire tub to match. Any suggestions? How many coats and would you put a clearcoat on? If I gloss her up a bit, thinking of doing bumpers, tie downs etc in black.

Thanks!

punkerpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Since it sounds like you have some experience painting, you already probably know that gloss paint has a much harder finish than flat. If it were me, I'd paint it in gloss, and if you want to dull down the sheen, put a satin, or flat clear over it. Flat will make it hard to get mud, crud out, being so porous, but a nice satin will be easier to clean and still look good. If you clear it with satin and decide it's too shiny still you could mix some flattener to dull it more. Black accents would look great either way, IMO... Good luck with it, and post up some pics!

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
sa3040krag
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Raptor makes a tint-able spray in bed liner, and PPG has a color called lusterless olive drab. To tint the bed liner you have to add a single stage paint (lusterless OD). The tinted bed liner comes out a little flat compared to the paint. You have to add the flattening agent to the paint when you mix it to spray. I would only use a quarter of what is recommended and that way it would match anything sprayed in paint. Matrix also makes the Lusterless OD but flattener is already in it so your bed liner would be flatter if you go that way.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
sa3040krag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Briteredjeepguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think monstaliner has od green tintable bedliner. I'm thinking of using their black in my tj.
Briteredjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
ODGREEN4X4
1984 CJ7 

Od -green

Thats my name ! durabakcompany.com makes od green and tan (olive drab tan?) well carquest made me a urethane mix single stage (no clear coat) was going to be flatter than my ex but ended up shiny as hell. I left it. Peer pressure. see pics. Use no acrlic enamels ,to soft for the mighty jeeps. white epoxy with green tint ? base clear with flatting agent (a additive to dull the clear).Military paint -Paint once a year. Then radar can,t find you !
ODGREEN4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Kennedy190
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm
Kennedy190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Netrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Use Monsterliner for your bedliner
Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.