Best all around microfiber cloths/towels? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Best all around microfiber cloths/towels?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
comma
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best all around microfiber cloths/towels?

I know there are a million different microfiber options out there.

I am just looking for your guys' favorite all-around towel for the jeep. For cleaning, buffing, waxing. Something that works for it all.

I don't go crazy with detailing. Just a solid towel that will not scratch my clear coat at all.

Also curious of the best applicator for wax. Thinking of meguiar's foam pads.

Thanks!

Last edited by comma; 10-13-2014 at 11:48 AM..
comma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Get a HF DA buffer then change out the backing plate to a 5" Lake Country. They are great for polishing or use just for wax/sealant application. The HF pads are not that great for polishing, but the 6" black pads are good for wax/sealing. You will never go back to hand applying wax again. Much faster and the results are much better. The machine can spread the product further and thinner leaving a more uniform coat that comes off easy. Cobra MF towels are good. Stay away from walmart towels.

Check out Autogeek forums.
Unread 10-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
comma
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth877 View Post
Get a HF DA buffer then change out the backing plate to a 5" Lake Country. They are great for polishing or use just for wax/sealant application. The HF pads are not that great for polishing, but the 6" black pads are good for wax/sealing. You will never go back to hand applying wax again. Much faster and the results are much better. The machine can spread the product further and thinner leaving a more uniform coat that comes off easy. Cobra MF towels are good. Stay away from walmart towels.

Check out Autogeek forums.
Honestly, I don't detail enough to get a machine. Maybe once a year I will wax.
I have quickie microfibers and they are decent, just not very "plush".

Looking for a towel I can use to wash, apply wax (if possible) and just all around use on the jeep without worrying about scratching.
Unread 10-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There's no such animal.

If you want to reduce wash induced scratches on a budget and keep the process simple here's how.

1) Two bucket wash with a good mit (good lubricating soap- no dish soap ever)
2) MF drying towel or leaf blower. Light mist of detail spray can help with towel drying
3) Hand wax- use a good foam applicator (Lake Country etc...)
4) General use MF towels for wax removal. Buy high quality towels. Anything from walmart/costco/target/most auto stores WILL scratch)
5) Wash all towels, foam wax applicator and the wash mit if the washing machine using a small amount of detergent. Damp dry, then hang. If you see discoloration in the towel then it still dirty and will scratch.

Supplies:
Good towels: http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...bra+microfiber
Soap: Megs gold class @ walmart
Wax pads: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X3070...wax+applicator
Drying towel:http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Guzzler-...r+drying+towel
Unread 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
comma
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth877 View Post
There's no such animal.

If you want to reduce wash induced scratches on a budget and keep the process simple here's how.

1) Two bucket wash with a good mit (good lubricating soap- no dish soap ever)
2) MF drying towel or leaf blower. Light mist of detail spray can help with towel drying
3) Hand wax- use a good foam applicator (Lake Country etc...)
4) General use MF towels for wax removal. Buy high quality towels. Anything from walmart/costco/target/most auto stores WILL scratch)
5) Wash all towels, foam wax applicator and the wash mit if the washing machine using a small amount of detergent. Damp dry, then hang. If you see discoloration in the towel then it still dirty and will scratch.

Supplies:
Good towels: http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...bra+microfiber
Soap: Megs gold class @ walmart
Wax pads: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X3070...wax+applicator
Drying towel:http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Guzzler-...r+drying+towel
Thanks!
Very good info.

I used some "quickie" towels from home depot to scrub bugs off the font and they didn't leave any scratches at all. But I definitely plan on getting some higher end towels. I just needed something quick.
Unread 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What wasn't mentioned as the VERY FIRST thing you should do....is to thoroughly rinse all dust and dirt off first as much as possible before even laying a hand on it.

I buy 3 or 4 cheap soft microfiber thick soft cloths at the local dollar store and they work and last just as long as any higher priced cloths at any other place

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
jth877
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Of course that's a given. The best thing is to use a foam cannon and pressure wash rinse twice before you touch the paint but he's looking for a simple routine for a 15 year old jeep. Invest in good towels they are not that expensive. I've even gotten relatively expensive MF towels and sometimes even they can scratch. Labeling something as "micro fiber" doesn't always means it good quality.

OP- I saw you started a thread @ autogeek. They'll turn you in the proper direction!
Unread 10-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As long as the MF towels are thick and soft,they are the same as any high priced MF towels.

I get a pack of 2 or 3 very soft and thick white MF towels at the local freds dollar store for a few bucks and never had a problem with them leaving any spider web or any scratches.

It doesn't matter what you buy or use or pay for it,if you scrub hard enough and abuse it,it will leave minor scratches and hazing in the clear coat,thats what a good buff once in a while is for

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Costco value pack.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I detail a few cars for people every year.

I rinse well, then scrub with a soft car wash brush on a 50" handle with a quality car wash liquid. Cleans really well and is very quick compared to a mitt or sponge. I think sponges are poor idea btw. Start top to bottom don't get near wheel wells or rockers until the end.

MF dries nice especially if blown off first. Blow it, squeegee glass, rub down w/ 100% cotton bath towels or chamois/synthetic chamois if you don't like microfiber.

But for waxing I only use 100% cotton plush bath towels to buff off and polish. MF is too grabby and small IMHO. For polishing. MF picks up and holds too much stuff that can scratch IMO.

Bleach in the laundry will zilch-out any residue or wax from the cotton towels. Never use a poly or nylon blend towel as I have found they can scratch.
Unread Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #11
Fink132
2002 WJ 

My favorite MF cloths are cobra brand. As with any microfiber product, don't put them in the dryer!!
Fink132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.