Bedliner Paintjob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Bedliner Paintjob

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bedliner Paintjob

I know this has been done a time or twelve and I am getting ready to do this on mine but I have a few questions....

I will be replacing the hardware on the hood including the hinges, what would be the best way to paint it and be able to put new hinges on so they lay flat and don't have the "lumpy" parts of the bedliner under them? Or would I be better off just leaving them in place and painting over them?

Bringing me to my next question, I will be replacing my windshield frame at the same time and wonder the same thing about those hinges and the area under hinge. Install first them paint or paint first then install over textured bedliner??

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Gates72ss
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you could always go with a smooth bedliner / under coating like sem rust shield or por-15 with great results...Best thing about those is that if you change your mind down the road and want something different they are paintable..
Gates72ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

We're pretty set on the bedliner with texture for the exterior but want to know how everyone else that has done this did it.... paint it right over the hinges or what?? And would it be a bed idea to paint the windshield frame and tub before it goes on and have the textured coating under the hinges or put it together and then paint????

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
ShogunTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I did it the poor-redneck way and used a drill with a wire brush attachment to scratch up all the paint on my hood and doors. Then I masked off all the surfaces I didn't want painted (badly) and used about 20 cans of Rustoleum Spray-In Liner. The only things i pulled off the hood were the windshield-stopper-nubbins and the footman loop. I painted over the hinges on my hood, doors, door locks and door handles. It turned out kinda patchy, but you can't really tell. My only issue is the Rustoleum faded a lot and it looks a bit odd. You should probably check for UV protection.

Stock 4cyl and 35's=Rock Crawling like a bus!
ShogunTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

Check out monstaliner on here or google search it alot of people seem to like it and it holds up to uv and from the pics of other people they look like some paint under the hinges and some paint right over them . I will tell you that taking those torx bit screws out on the body for all the hinges can be a pain in the *** they tend to strip out or twist your torx bit
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
rodgers3
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinline View Post
Check out monstaliner on here or google search it alot of people seem to like it and it holds up to uv and from the pics of other people they look like some paint under the hinges and some paint right over them . I will tell you that taking those torx bit screws out on the body for all the hinges can be a pain in the *** they tend to strip out or twist your torx bit
I have twisted my torx bits so my times... Autozone is probly tired of replacing the set. Lol
rodgers3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Jeepnaut
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinline View Post

Not that I'm happy that other people have this problem, but I am glad that I'm not The Only One In The World With This Problem.

OP, I've been clicking through body paint and bedliner jobs too, and I've seen that the painting over method can look good with a patient hand - not globbing too much paint per coat.
Jeepnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm thinking about replacing my torx bit bolts with regular grade eight hex head bolts but not sure how it would look or work , I think I bought five torx bits and they were stripped broken or twisted in about 10 minutes lol
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
jameslinn83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced my windshield torx bolts with stainless hex head bolts and washers. If you didn't know that's not how it was supposed to be you probably wouldn't know the difference.
jameslinn83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.