bedliner inside tub - any regrets? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > bedliner inside tub - any regrets?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
hunter1
1979 CJ5 

bedliner inside tub - any regrets?

I'm getting closer to decision time. In one way I hate to line an old CJ5, they didn't make them like that, I'm still kinda sentimental like that. On the other hand are all the good advantages, which this project needs.

If you own or bought a Jeep with a lined interior, did you ever regret it?

This will be my first attempt, probably use tinted Monsta and spray it. But it's not like paint, where problems and repaints are relatively easy (I think?). This is all shadetree work, not show work by any means. At my experience level (with no inside shop), doing bondo and a mint paint job is probably not realistic. But spray liner appears much more do-able and cost efficient. I've seen most of the youtubes and read a lot on the various liners.

If me, or the next owner doesn't like it, how difficult is it to remove? Even possible? I know I can do it, but DO I really want to?

Unread 07-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I feel it left the inside of my old sand runner YJ a lot nicer for longer by lining the inside. After 10 very hard years the only problems were faded black color and the rig rusted from the bottom up.
This is a valueable project if you intend on ever using the Jeep.
To hide its effect put it on as smooth as possible.
Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I never had any experience with painting vehicles. I did my tub by hand with Durabak, and it came out looking very good. Not that I cared what it looked like, cus I put the carpet right back over it but...I *could* take the carpet out and leave it that way. The success is in the prep. Take your time with the prep, give yourself a good weekend for the whole job. I used a roller and brush with mine, but the spray jobs come out real nice and are much less back breaking. Only thing I regret is not doing it sooner....good luck!

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OP, if you are hesitant to spray bedliner on your Jeep, I don't know if its wise to look to others to talk you into it.
Even though bedliner could be removed (with a LOT of hard, dirty work), I'd consider it a permanent modification.
So, CJ's never came with bedliner. So what? Jeep owners modify their rigs all the time, to make them perform and/or look better than stock. If stock condition is that important to you, then leave it stock.
Unread 07-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know if i was looking to buy a jeep. It had the inside bed lined. It would be a red flag. Many people use that stuff to cover the bad news. once dirty its harder to clean. painted metal is easy to wash out after a run.
Unread 07-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I know if i was looking to buy a jeep. It had the inside bed lined. It would be a red flag. Many people use that stuff to cover the bad news. once dirty its harder to clean. painted metal is easy to wash out after a run.
Crappy bed liner jobs are hard to clean out a good job is easy with a brush and water.

Lots of people out there do use paint and liners to cover known issues. When I inspect a vehicle I will tap on the body and listen for differences in sound you can also use a magnet but thats not fail proof.

To the op. If you want it stock use a good quality paint and epoxy primer then you'll have limited issues over time while keeping a stock look.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I am going on two years with mine and have no regrets. I did mine during a frame off, everything was sandblasted and epoxy primered and the I used Monsterliner (in the Vendor section) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i.../index802.html . I would do it again in a heartbeat, but remember prep is key prior to any bedliner application. You can look at my build thread in my signature below, let me know if you have any questions.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
hunter1
1979 CJ5 

Thanks guys. I'm still a few weeks away on that project. I think a lot of the informed Jeep and vintage car folks know most any technique that covers up rust is suspect. The rest are wowed by a nice bedliner job.

There's no mudding while I have it, been there, done that, broke enough stuff 30 years ago. Got other toys for that now. This Jeep is for cruising around getting ice cream at Sonic, and living a charmed life, LOL.

I'll think about it some more, no big hurry at present. Bedliner would almost certainly be Monstaliner's copper color (coppa feel), that should look nice with white outside, and spice softop, with matching spice seats to follow later.
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I vote for bedliner..

I've had 3 Early Bronco's that i did tons of work to them and only used them for cruising and daily drivers too,the first 2 i only used a good urethane paint on the floors and even though they never seen hard trails or mud,since they had no carpet they still scratched and worn off in spots from dirt and sand from people's feet and under the floor mats i put in them.
The third one i did, i payed for a Rhino Liner and the floor stayed nice and was easy cleaning.

Any vehicle i would keep the carpet out of i would definitely do a bedliner for protection.

And from what i've seen on Monstaliner's thread, rolling it on seems to get the smoothest results with a good smooth roller,spraying it on seems to give it a lot more texture,bedliner can't just "lay out" like a regular paint,so rolling it on with a good smooth roller would probably give you the smoothest finish since you can control it more than spraying.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 02:48 AM   #10
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
This has always been my exact feeling about "liner". Leave that for pickup beds.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #11
bravobravo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

my only regret is i just did black, if i could go back and do it again id try to match my body color better.

(linex is what i had put in)

removed for stirring the pot
bravobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #12
ericisjeepin

I went with herculiner on my tjs interior and i regret it. PITA to clean and its faded over time from exposure to the sun, that might just be from me going with the cheapest option but anyways thats my experience with the stuff
ericisjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
SSellers
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A friend of mine had an old one he bought in Salt Lake City and at the recommendation of a shop had it done in stuff similar to what is used in washing machine drums. I think it's basically a high solid epoxy. It was years ago, searched around and found this stuff, don't think it was it but gives you an idea.
http://www.tricoat.com/tub-tile-refinishing.html

"Liquid Porcelain has proven to show superior color retention with stain and impact resistance.
Our innovative TriBond bonding technology provides a non-pealing adhesive surface for a beautiful, high gloss, Liquid Porcelain tile-like glaze. These products are specifically designed as a system for application to surfaces found in the kitchen and on bath ceramic tile, shower stalls or bathtubs made of fiberglass, porcelain or steel tubs and sinks, Formica, faux marble or ceramic tile counter tops."
SSellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #14
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My buddy did a Tan color Berliner inside his tub (YJ) with monstaliner. I lined the exterior of my XJ with Monstaliner too. Would highly recommend Monstaliner. It's easy to clean unlike other bed liner materials. I'm really happy with the finished project.

His YJ came out really good too. Everything is Prep, Prep,Prep. Rolling it on doesn't have to give you a rough finish either.

Here is my XJ

I'd do the inside if the tub. Especially if your not looking to get back to OEM for a show rig.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
Fins
1980 CJ7 

If I were to do it over again I would not have done the bed liner. You can't just hose out the moon dust,dirt,clay. You have to use a scrub brush or stiff sponge. And after 8 years it's got cracks which are revealing hints of rust.
Fins is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.