Bed Liner Tape Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Bed Liner Tape Question

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
NOCHEEPGAS
1980 CJ5 

Bed Liner Tape Question

I know that professional installers like Line-X and Rhino use a tape with a wire embedded in the edge so that they get a clean edge when pulling the tape. The wire, as I understand it kind of acts like a knife to provide that edge. Anybody using a DIY liner have any issues using ordinary masking tape, or does anybody know where to obtain this specialty tape?

NOCHEEPGAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
ksgrands
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't know about such a tape. I just did my MJ bed in Monstaliner and yes, I had a few places that it bled through. Nothing significant given that it's an old MJ, but I'd rather have prevented it.
89 Comanche Pioneer 2wd
97 Wrangler Sport
ksgrands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
aguelzo89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I used normal masking tape. Blue painters tape to be exact with a 2 inch width. Just be sure to peel it up when its all still soft but hard enough to where you won't pull up the liner. I had no issues what so ever. Professional applicators use that because their stuff is thick and needs that kinda tape.

Also, if you are using the DIY bedliner (Herculiner,Monstaliner, Raptor) Ive noticed they dont get as thick as the Professional kind. They work just the same but are not as thick. you can go thicker but adding more coats onto it, but thats going to be a while. To match there thickness, im thinking anywhere from 6-7 coats of herculiner. Thats APPLY-Wait till tacky-APPLY-Wait till tacky and so on and so forth.

Hope it helps.
aguelzo89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.