applying monstaliner to fender flairs question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > applying monstaliner to fender flairs question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
g2tiger
2003 TJ Wrangler 

applying monstaliner to fender flairs question

Hello all,

I am preparing to monstaliner my TJ interrior. I was thinkning I might have enough left over to do the factoty fender flairs. I purchased 1 gallon of the black the other day since it was the recommended ammount. The fender flairs have been previously painted and are peeling/spot peeling.

My questions are as follows:
Should I scrub the old paint off? and with what? sand paper? or something else?
How should I prep the fender flairs? Is there a primer? is using primer recommended or will Monsta liner stick to the plastic? the product description makes it sod like it will bond to the flairs directly.

by the way, I am waiting for Monstaliner to respond to these questions but I wanted to also touch base with anyoe who might have experience with doing this to the fender flairs. I have searched the threads but continue to find only info on applying monsta liner and other such products to the metals components and body of the Jeeps.

Thanks in advance

g2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You will need to try and rid of any old coatings on the flares..if not and the old coating is cheap or improperly applied it will cause anythng on top of it to come off later.

get some 220 grit sand paper....and a can of adhesion Promoter

throughly wash the flares with some heavy duty grease cutter dish detergent like Dawn in as hot a water you can stand ...scrub throughly to rid any any dirt,oils or old coatings like ArmorAll that may have been put on it

Then soak a rag sparingly with acetone and start wiping down the flares,dont let them soak long or you could actualy melt the plastic,the rag needs to be "just wet"..not dripping wet....wipe several times to remove any old coatings...

Then for a bonding insurance and making sure your workin with a fresh sirface give it all a good hand sand with 220 grit sand paper,or even scotchbrite pads...

Do another wipe down with acetone......then spray the adhesion promoter according to it's instructions and then apply the bedliner.

Do NOT skip the adhesion promoter............

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
g2tiger
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Iron worker,

Thanks for the info. I'll check in at Home Depot for adhesion promoter. I have to get some MEK so I can look for that as well. You said what I was thinking but I was not aware of adhesion promoter. Any thougts on the seam sealer asapplied by the factory and putting the liner over that? I guess need to give Monstaliner a call tomorrow before I start and get his thougths.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Therios
King of Stupid Questions

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did you find this "adhesion promoter" and, if you did, where?
-New Bestop replacement
-Orfab front bumper (DONE)
-CRS rear bumper
-CRS rear bumper tire mount swing arm.
-led third light mods that sit in the two spare tire lug holes.
-because of above - removed ugly third light tower completely
-smitty top end grab handles
-20" LED light bar 10 degree spot (installed now and blindingly operational)
-50" LED light bar 20 degree flood ( changed to 30" in center 3 tabs, installed but not wired)
-windshield mount light bar (done)
-winch 8000# smitty
-Monstaliner complete pan in red head(as soon as they deliver it) (done)
-Carpet removed
-corbeau RS reclining seats
-corbeau water proof seat covers
-corbeau seat mount replacements (removes tilt forward passenger seat)
-AXD 430 receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070AXD4...-Receiver.html
-hood hinge mount for my hi lift jack
-Headlight replacements
-tremendous mt 31.5/10.5 15s on nice alloy rims
-Everything else is stock... For now

-next items
Led dash replacements

Led square lights for 6 free mounting tabs
Led backup lights
Therios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therios View Post
Did you find this "adhesion promoter" and, if you did, where?
Any auto parts stores..walmart..auto body suppliers..etc will have it..in spray can under Adhesion Promoter...

They are usualy in any auto body sections or paint sections

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Wont the liner crack like bondo on flexible surfaces?
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Wont the liner crack like bondo on flexible surfaces?
No...they sent me a bunch of color samples to check out the different colors they have..they are on some kind of little flexible bourd....you can twist and felx all you want and never cracks or peels...

Never forget 9/11

Unread 07-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
g2tiger
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, It's been awhile and I will let you know who the Monsta liner held to the fenders flares. first let me tell you I got started and failed to get the adhesion promoter. So all bets were off. I realized I had forgot the promoter (I did find the stuff at the local parts stores etc but did not pick it up for some reason, probably was not sure when I was going to do the project).

anyway, I started the inside when I got a clear weekend and had just started the first coat inside when I realized I got ahead of my self and did not prep the fender flares. At this point I could not stop and run to the store. I Jeeped on. What I did instead was clean the fender flares with Acetone then scuff them and clean them again. This has worked well for the time being. then I added some coil spring spacers and my helper and I ended up grabbing the flares as we worked and that action broke the Monsta liner away from the flare. It came off in flakes about the size of a quarter and still has some come off every now and then.

I can not comment on the adhesion promoter at this time. The look and feel are great but I will need to get new flares and some additional liner and this time adhesion promoter and go for it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.