Any way to stop paint bubbles from spreading? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Any way to stop paint bubbles from spreading?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
JoeW

Any way to stop paint bubbles from spreading?

There was a paint bubble on the fender of my Sahara when I bought it. It started spreading and I picked it off hoping it would help, but it seems to keep going. Is there any way to prevent it from peeling further?

Buy my Jeep so my dog doesn't have to jump so high!
JoeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
ToledoDave

Yup....just stop picking at it! but no. Looks like someone painted the flare and your having an adhesion problem now. Nothimg you can do but hope you can get it off and repaint it.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Indy

Agree. Remember all the gm cars in the 80's? Once it starts it keps going until you sand it all off.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not that one. Its been painted and poorly prepped. It will continue. Lets just hope they didnt paint the flares on the jeep.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
GilbertF

You can use a sponge brush and make sure you put in on in thin coats.If you use a brush,use a natural bristle brush and thin the poly with thinner.Check where you buy the poly and they can tell you how much to thin it and what type of thinner to use.Also you need to lightly sand between each coat or you can use 3/0 steelwool.If the poly is water base,DO NOT use steelwool.I would recommend MIN/WAX.You can get it clear or with a stain in it.Poly should be put on in thin coats and not one thick coat.The more thin coats you put on ,the more it will shine.Thick coats will cause runs.
GilbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
ToledoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertF View Post
You can use a sponge brush and make sure you put in on in thin coats.If you use a brush,use a natural bristle brush and thin the poly with thinner.Check where you buy the poly and they can tell you how much to thin it and what type of thinner to use.Also you need to lightly sand between each coat or you can use 3/0 steelwool.If the poly is water base,DO NOT use steelwool.I would recommend MIN/WAX.You can get it clear or with a stain in it.Poly should be put on in thin coats and not one thick coat.The more thin coats you put on ,the more it will shine.Thick coats will cause runs.
Huh? Poly, sponge, brush, steelwool, minwax, stain? Its a plastic wheel flare for a jeep wrangler which somebody didnt prep at all before painting or the paint underneath wouldnt still be shiny and pealing. This isnt a cabinet or dresser or even a table. R u sure u posted on the right forums? Really?
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoDave

Huh? Poly, sponge, brush, steelwool, minwax, stain? Its a plastic wheel flare for a jeep wrangler which somebody didnt prep at all before painting or the paint underneath wouldnt still be shiny and pealing. This isnt a cabinet or dresser or even a table. R u sure u posted on the right forums? Really?
You too, lol. I was like wtf is going on here!
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
ToledoDave

Lmao....1st time I read that I had to set phone down and walk away to regroup my thoughts. I hope that guy was kidding lol
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoDave
Lmao....1st time I read that I had to set phone down and walk away to regroup my thoughts. I hope that guy was kidding lol
Yeah, i had to re read it a few times.
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
YJgearhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest grabbing a can of KleanStrip Peeler spray the flare and then repaint. Peeler is what the warranty dealerships used for the Dodges and GM cars that had all the de-lamination problems in the 80s and 90s.

Otherwise you can see how far it'll go before it has adhesion and start there. But you could easily end up at a repair area and have to re-do the whole flare. Cheapest and easiest would be to live with it until you can get it re shot and done right.
YJgearhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertF View Post
Your talking about woodwork...this is an automotive coating,entirely different animal...........

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just for an FYI for those that said someone didn't prep right..alot of the sahara's came from the factory with painted flares...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709
Just for an FYI for those that said someone didn't prep right..alot of the sahara's came from the factory with painted flares...
Well theres paint under the peeling paint, sooo yeah, someone didnt prep it right
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Try some final net hair spray.. oh sorry wrong forum
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.