JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint and Body (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/)
-   -   Any way to stop paint bubbles from spreading? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/any-way-stop-paint-bubbles-spreading-1557378/)

JoeW 08-03-2013 11:22 AM

Any way to stop paint bubbles from spreading?

There was a paint bubble on the fender of my Sahara when I bought it. It started spreading and I picked it off hoping it would help, but it seems to keep going. Is there any way to prevent it from peeling further?

http://augustknight.com/jeep/2000_Sahara_15.jpg

ToledoDave 08-03-2013 01:44 PM

Yup....just stop picking at it! :) but no. Looks like someone painted the flare and your having an adhesion problem now. Nothimg you can do but hope you can get it off and repaint it.

Indy 08-04-2013 09:51 AM

Agree. Remember all the gm cars in the 80's? Once it starts it keps going until you sand it all off.

swirve 08-06-2013 11:22 PM

Not that one. Its been painted and poorly prepped. It will continue. Lets just hope they didnt paint the flares on the jeep.

GilbertF 08-21-2013 04:06 AM

You can use a sponge brush and make sure you put in on in thin coats.If you use a brush,use a natural bristle brush and thin the poly with thinner.Check where you buy the poly and they can tell you how much to thin it and what type of thinner to use.Also you need to lightly sand between each coat or you can use 3/0 steelwool.If the poly is water base,DO NOT use steelwool.I would recommend MIN/WAX.You can get it clear or with a stain in it.Poly should be put on in thin coats and not one thick coat.The more thin coats you put on ,the more it will shine.Thick coats will cause runs.

ToledoDave 08-22-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilbertF (Post 15818722)
You can use a sponge brush and make sure you put in on in thin coats.If you use a brush,use a natural bristle brush and thin the poly with thinner.Check where you buy the poly and they can tell you how much to thin it and what type of thinner to use.Also you need to lightly sand between each coat or you can use 3/0 steelwool.If the poly is water base,DO NOT use steelwool.I would recommend MIN/WAX.You can get it clear or with a stain in it.Poly should be put on in thin coats and not one thick coat.The more thin coats you put on ,the more it will shine.Thick coats will cause runs.

Huh? Poly, sponge, brush, steelwool, minwax, stain? Its a plastic wheel flare for a jeep wrangler which somebody didnt prep at all before painting or the paint underneath wouldnt still be shiny and pealing. This isnt a cabinet or dresser or even a table. R u sure u posted on the right forums? Really?

swirve 08-22-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToledoDave

Huh? Poly, sponge, brush, steelwool, minwax, stain? Its a plastic wheel flare for a jeep wrangler which somebody didnt prep at all before painting or the paint underneath wouldnt still be shiny and pealing. This isnt a cabinet or dresser or even a table. R u sure u posted on the right forums? Really?

You too, lol. I was like wtf is going on here!

ToledoDave 08-23-2013 06:28 AM

Lmao....1st time I read that I had to set phone down and walk away to regroup my thoughts. I hope that guy was kidding lol

swirve 08-23-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToledoDave
Lmao....1st time I read that I had to set phone down and walk away to regroup my thoughts. I hope that guy was kidding lol

Yeah, i had to re read it a few times.

YJgearhead89 08-23-2013 06:14 PM

I would suggest grabbing a can of KleanStrip Peeler spray the flare and then repaint. Peeler is what the warranty dealerships used for the Dodges and GM cars that had all the de-lamination problems in the 80s and 90s.

Otherwise you can see how far it'll go before it has adhesion and start there. But you could easily end up at a repair area and have to re-do the whole flare. Cheapest and easiest would be to live with it until you can get it re shot and done right.

Ironworker709 08-24-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilbertF (Post 15818722)

Your talking about woodwork...this is an automotive coating,entirely different animal...........

Ironworker709 08-24-2013 12:06 PM

Just for an FYI for those that said someone didn't prep right..alot of the sahara's came from the factory with painted flares...

swirve 08-25-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironworker709
Just for an FYI for those that said someone didn't prep right..alot of the sahara's came from the factory with painted flares...

Well theres paint under the peeling paint, sooo yeah, someone didnt prep it right

magnetman 09-11-2013 11:39 PM

Try some final net hair spray.. oh sorry wrong forum :rofl:

The time now is 03:32 AM.