any tips on paint chrome headlight trim? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > any tips on paint chrome headlight trim?

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

any tips on paint chrome headlight trim?

getting ready to paint my headlight trim from chrome to black. any tips. they are great shape no pitting.

HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Clean them well with soap and water or glass cleaner, scuff em with 320 grit or a red scotchbrite pad, clean again with glass cleaner. I use a wax and grease remover as a final cleaning, then use a good quality satin black like Rustolem or Krylon if you choose a rattle can.
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

dont forget the self etching primer and a satin clear coat
Unread 04-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

project complete, the headlight trims came out great. pictures will be posted later tonight in the current pic thread
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
HokieYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

can you also post some pics of how it looks after a few thousand miles, when the paint chips off from rocks/bugs?
HokieYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sure i can. and i can take the 2 minutes to take them off once they chip after a few thousand miles and repaint them with the same spraycans i have. lol. ive done this many times with front grilles and trims but never with chrome.
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Cmdrfluff
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just painted mine over the weekend.
I only had 220 grit and 320 grit available at the time.
I started out by taking some 2+2 and sprayed down the bezels due to the fact i havent washed the jeep in months...then just went to town with the 220, and then the 320 after it. Make sure everything is nice and scuffed up before priming anything. Gave them a quick wash down with cold water, then I used sandable primer from plastikote, gave both of em 1 coat let it dry and followed up with 1 coat of krylon fusion ultra flat olive green (or whichever color you prefer, black is what you said)
Let em dry and reinstall!!
Cmdrfluff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i did mine this past weekend also. washed them, sanded with 320, washed them, then i used a self etching primer found in automotive dept. , flat black paint and flat clear coat. as i was told by a few differnet local autobody shops
Unread 04-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieYJ View Post
can you also post some pics of how it looks after a few thousand miles, when the paint chips off from rocks/bugs?
Well aren't you just a sarcastic little bundle of hatefulness! I think Krylon goes for about $2.97 a can these days, so I don't think touchups will break the bank.
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

exactly, and the can of paint can be used to paint mirrors, rear window hinges, exterior door handles and many more,
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

According to the directions on the Krylon Fusion can, it says no primer is needed: only have to scuff the surface and make sure the finish is dull. I've never tried it though, I wonder if it works?
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ive done it on the bumper to my old ranger, no primer or sanding on the plastic part. paint never chipped at all, people thought it was a brand new bumper,
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Blacking out the headlight rings seems popular,but has anyone painted them body color. Wonder if that would look good? And, yes, I realize that would be a lot more expensive of a way to do it, but just throwing it out there.
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller02TJ View Post
ive done it on the bumper to my old ranger, no primer or sanding on the plastic part. paint never chipped at all, people thought it was a brand new bumper,
That's good to know, thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.