any jeep painters? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > any jeep painters?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve

"Factory or better" there is no way that a $30 hog leg is going to put down a factory quality finish. I was helping him out. I sure wouldnt want to "Practice" on something that i have to look at everyday.
I'm not looking for anything to be perfect quality. It's not like I'm taking it out to car shows I'm taking it around town on road trips and out on trails. Obviously I don't want it to look like crap but it doesn't need to be perfect either. With my experiences even if I had the best paint job i can get it would be chipped and scraped up a little bit within a few months. As for my financial situation I have 2000 from my summer job at the local car wash and yes I could easily just pay a shop with that but why not save money by doing it myself and just spend that money on other upgrades and fun things. Plus based on what I've read all over this forum is that painting it yourself or with some friends can be great fun! And a great way to learn more about your own vehicle. At this point I'm not looking for whether or not I should do it myself I know I want to. I'm just looking for tips and help on what I need how to do it and how to make things easier. Thanks for your ideas though

tawinters19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The biggest and most important tip I can give you is this: Take everything that you can off the jeep to paint it and pay close attention to the preparation of the body. If the prep work is crap, the paint job is crap. Even the best painter in the world can't get a great finish if the prep work is half a$$ed. Good luck and have fun with the project.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
"Factory or better" there is no way that a $30 hog leg is going to put down a factory quality finish. I was helping him out. I sure wouldnt want to "Practice" on something that i have to look at everyday.
So what is a person supposed to practice on for his first paint job?..someone elses that he can send away and possibly never see again?....
Or should they just never learn it and just take to body shops that they can't afford to pay for..which is the main reason folks come to sections like this to learn how to save money and do it themselves,not oly to save money..but a great learning experience....

There is plenty of people who have done their first paint jobs with cheapo guns like the HF purple guns and done a more than exceptacle job,my CH gun sprayed MUCH better than those,they were just a rebranded Devilbiss......

I real quick search can show what can be done with little money IF you learn how to setup the gun right and learn good spray techniques...

The OP of this one did it with a HF gun and a 33 gallon cheapo craftsman compressor...Among some other ones in there that cheap jobs with more than acceptacle finished jobs as a daily driver...
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/bo...paint-job.html

Without draggin out more here..here's just a few of the probably thousands of cheapo paint jobs found online folks did as their first job with pretty impressive results....
http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthr...aint-spray-gun

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11735

I started messing around painting vehicles in the late 70's with my father and his best freind,when about the only choice you had was crappy single stages and a conventional gun...even most of the cheap HVLP guns now a days spray better than those old conventional guns did.......

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

"Practice" go practice on grandpas cornbinder or a good size piece of scrap sheets of metal. You think if you take a paint course they let you "practice" on a car. No.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #20
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Couple of quarts of black slow dry Rustoleum enamel, quart of VM&P naphtha and a harbor freight HVLP gun

When a newbie painter can spray that without sagging/dripping this they are ready to move forward

The OP has not even chimed back in here so we don't know his thoughts but this is shaping up to be an interesting thread
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post

The OP has not even chimed back in here so we don't know his thoughts but this is shaping up to be an interesting thread
he chimed back in at the top of the page.said he's dead set on doing it himself to learn...

And yes..i agree...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

go to autobody101forum they have a start to finish paint your car thread that will put your worries to bed.these guys will hold your hand and get your first paint job done well for yourself..i have to say that ive shot some great auto finish outa some 20-30 $ hog legs .lmao. I prefer a better quality gun but once you understand paint and how it works you will be amazed at the end results .a lot is the reducer used for temp and humidity
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:59 AM   #23
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Heck I'm 52 and delving into the DIY jeep painting!

I started long ago with my old YJ, and camo'd her up, loads of fun!

Now with my TJ-L, I'm about to treat the frame & under the tub. then next Spring I'll do the body ( Lusterless Earth Yellow Mil-Spec paint ) with 33 gallon compressor with what ever spray device that's appropriate for the paint that I'm spraying!

TA with the knowledge you'll gain from the web and here on the JF, or other forums you'll be ready for your painting endeavor!

Now select the appropriate music and start taping off!!

Enjoy and keep us posted!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.