any jeep painters? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > any jeep painters?

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 07-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

any jeep painters?

hey guys, my names Thomas and im new to this forum. im only 15 and im lookin around for my jeep that i want to get. i am on a bit of a budget because my parents said they want me to pay for as much of my own stuff as i can which is definately reasonable considering i already have two part time jobs. antways as i was looking through a lot of jeeps and they all seem to be great mechanically and on most the interior is nice too! the only problems im worried about is all the paint jobs. they do not look very good at all. ever since i was 7 or 8 ive always wanted to have a beautifil red wrangler to call mine since it is my favorite color. my parents said i should just go ahead and buy one with a crapy paint job and get it repainted at a shop but after reading all the different forums ive decided paying $2500 dollars for a good paint job is not the way for me. are there any local people or clubs in fayetteville that are intrested in a painting project sometime in the next couple months?i can bring food and drinks for everyone! i have no tools for painting and im really scared that i would be the one to mss it up if i didnt have help! thaks!

tawinters19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
ToledoDave

Hey buddy your best bet for that project is to learn what you can do to prep your jeep and sand and fix anything you want fixed. Primer what bare metal is showing and find a locale shop willing to paint and clear it for you. If you do all the body work and prep work like pull headlights, taillights marker lights flares ect...off and have it rdy for the painter to paint and put it back together your self you can save alot of money and still retain and pretty decent paint job.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

If the look appeals to you, roll-on bedliner is a great option and you will save a lot of cash. This is not hard to do at all

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
tawinters19
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman
If the look appeals to you, roll-on bedliner is a great option and you will save a lot of cash. This is not hard to do at all
I don't mind it(by the way awesome color choice for a jeep) but I don't like that orange peel effect. Also does that have any clear on it?
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawinters19 View Post
I don't mind it(by the way awesome color choice for a jeep) but I don't like that orange peel effect. Also does that have any clear on it?
No clear here but it can be done. Like I said the texture effects do not appeal to everyone
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sand/ prep it yourself then take it to Maaco or Earl Shiebs to have it sprayed. $2500 for a cheap paint job is nothing. I just ordered paint for a project at work... $1500 just for sealer, a gallon of base, reducers, clear and hardener.
swirve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #7
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

He's 15 yrs old he don't have $2500
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He's 15 yrs old he don't have $2500
Is why i told him to prep it himself and take it to Maaco
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think he should paint it himself for the experience gained and cash saved. It's his first vehicle
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think he should paint it himself for the experience gained and cash saved. It's his first vehicle
With what??? By the time he buys a cheap spray gun, all the materials, hangs some runs in it, gets a buncha dry spray then hates the way it looks, prep it and take it to maaco
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
With what??? By the time he buys a cheap spray gun, all the materials, hangs some runs in it, gets a buncha dry spray then hates the way it looks, prep it and take it to maaco
In that case,then we might as well just close this Paint and Body section and leave a note"Just take it to a body shop"...........

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709

In that case,then we might as well just close this Paint and Body section and leave a note"Just take it to a body shop"...........
Depends on how he wants it to look. I was going best bang for the buck. Those guys will spray a car with material for probably less than $500. Spend a little extra on better material and have them just spray it. Dude, ive painted on WELL over 20,000 cars. I think I know what I'm talking about. My point is for the amount of money it would cost him to spray, sand out the runs/ dry spray, he would be better off saving a couple extra hundy and having someone spray it for him. Theres lots of variables man, Does he even have a compressor that can keep up with a hvlp or even standard gun for that matter... Doubt it, most people dont.
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
ToledoDave

Ok guys your all correct and yes we didnt know or care how old he is. His age is capable of doing anything on this forums. What we didnt know and none of our buisness is his financial status. I also suggested he do the work and have it painted. But back in my days at that age I could get a 1500 paint job done for 100 bucks if I did the work. But lets face it as long as he has the place and time to do it. Thats an awesome opportunity to learn. After lil more thought... why not buy or borrow a couple spray guns which can be cheap if not having to use them every day like normal body guys. Do one panel at a time. Stick to a non metallic paint and sand, prep and prime. Clean garage or shop. Drape cheap plastic from the ceiling and grab the hose and wet the floor real good and lay your color and clear. You will have some wet sanding after but wont be bad since shooting panels and not whole car. As you progress with each panel start to finish it will look awesome he will only get better as he goes and if something didnt work out?..its only a panel not the whole car and he will feel awesome and feel proud as he should for accomplishing such a task. That is the cheapest with best results the young man shouldnt have too much trouble handling.
ToledoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirve View Post
Depends on how he wants it to look. I was going best bang for the buck. Those guys will spray a car with material for probably less than $500. Spend a little extra on better material and have them just spray it. Dude, ive painted on WELL over 20,000 cars. I think I know what I'm talking about. My point is for the amount of money it would cost him to spray, sand out the runs/ dry spray, he would be better off saving a couple extra hundy and having someone spray it for him. Theres lots of variables man, Does he even have a compressor that can keep up with a hvlp or even standard gun for that matter... Doubt it, most people dont.
Plenty of cheap guns out there now a days that shoot just fine at 4-7 CFM's

I have one from a few years back from....yes..walmart..was 30.00 back then,it's a branded Campbell Hausfeld..and surprisingly shot VERY well on a few vehicles..
I noticed a few days ago they have a newer one,doesn't look like my old one,but is only around 45.00 now if i remember correctly...and says specifiacly it only needs 4-7 CFM's..most of the cheap small compressors will handle that easily that most low budget guys have around already...

Dude...............A person such as yourself that has shot"20,000 cars" should know a high priced good gun is a big plus,but the biggest factor is how to get the gun setup right with a good pattern and using a good technique in the spray job...
I've seen people put on a heck of a paint job with just a 20.00 Harbor Freight gun..was it top notch show quality?..no..was it as good as factory or better?..YES
There is also plenty of cheaper options for primers and top coatings than PPG and fair well and some just as good or better...
The ONLY thing i use anymore is SPI for the primers and Clears..can't beat the prices,quality and sprayability of it,top notch products on a budget price..
Plus Barry will take personal cell phone calls to help with any problems with the job and/or products.....

Most of these people are driving Jeeps to be used off road and a daily driver together,they don't want to buy 1500.00 worth of coatings for their project that get scratched,chips,dented..etc sooner than later on the trails.

Soooo..the bottom line here is..if someone asks a question such as the OP did..the correct thing in THIS forum would be to give him some options and give ADVICE on the best way to tackle it if they want to learn how to do it..

And maaco is a shot in the dark,it depends on the gunslinger they have working for them and /or the manager's preferences of what goes out the door ,i've seen some pretty decent cheap jobs come out of their booths..but then again i've seen alot of crap jobs come from them that looked like someone rattle canned it....
In that situation i would have to see thier work first..my brother trusted them with a quick money project turn around on an old 85 Iroc and even amatuers said"man,who globbed that crap on?"...

Paint & body sections on forums are there for people to LEARN how to it for themselves for the most part,and i can see you know pretty much what you are talking about,so how about help folks out without an attitude...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
swirve
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709

Plenty of cheap guns out there now a days that shoot just fine at 4-7 CFM's

I have one from a few years back from....yes..walmart..was 30.00 back then,it's a branded Campbell Hausfeld..and surprisingly shot VERY well on a few vehicles..
I noticed a few days ago they have a newer one,doesn't look like my old one,but is only around 45.00 now if i remember correctly...and says specifiacly it only needs 4-7 CFM's..most of the cheap small compressors will handle that easily that most low budget guys have around already...

Dude...............A person such as yourself that has shot"20,000 cars" should know a high priced good gun is a big plus,but the biggest factor is how to get the gun setup right with a good pattern and using a good technique in the spray job...
I've seen people put on a heck of a paint job with just a 20.00 Harbor Freight gun..was it top notch show quality?..no..was it as good as factory or better?..YES
There is also plenty of cheaper options for primers and top coatings than PPG and fair well and some just as good or better...
The ONLY thing i use anymore is SPI for the primers and Clears..can't beat the prices,quality and sprayability of it,top notch products on a budget price..
Plus Barry will take personal cell phone calls to help with any problems with the job and/or products.....

Most of these people are driving Jeeps to be used off road and a daily driver together,they don't want to buy 1500.00 worth of coatings for their project that get scratched,chips,dented..etc sooner than later on the trails.

Soooo..the bottom line here is..if someone asks a question such as the OP did..the correct thing in THIS forum would be to give him some options and give ADVICE on the best way to tackle it if they want to learn how to do it..

And maaco is a shot in the dark,it depends on the gunslinger they have working for them and /or the manager's preferences of what goes out the door ,i've seen some pretty decent cheap jobs come out of their booths..but then again i've seen alot of crap jobs come from them that looked like someone rattle canned it....
In that situation i would have to see thier work first..my brother trusted them with a quick money project turn around on an old 85 Iroc and even amatuers said"man,who globbed that crap on?"...

Paint & body sections on forums are there for people to LEARN how to it for themselves for the most part,and i can see you know pretty much what you are talking about,so how about help folks out without an attitude...
"Factory or better" there is no way that a $30 hog leg is going to put down a factory quality finish. I was helping him out. I sure wouldnt want to "Practice" on something that i have to look at everyday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.