Any comments on how this $50 paint job would look - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Any comments on how this $50 paint job would look

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearPRP Seats & Harness at CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 05-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Any comments on how this $50 paint job would look

So my hood on my 96 ZJ is peeling, as is common with those age ZJ's. I can't bring myself to pay someone to do something so seemingly simple as painting, so if I paint just the hood and not the rest of the body (which is in very good shape), how do you think that would look? Would scraping off a chunk from the hood and bringing it to Home Depot to have it matched (using a color matching computer) be sufficient?

This is the write up I was planning on following: http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html. Or should I just have Maaco do it? I'd really hate to have Maaco do it, I've heard lots of negative reviews of them.

Any comments or suggestions at all are greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Same writeup here on JF: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/...-50-a-1508962/

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

First Home depot does not mix Rust-Oleum to match an existing color. They match latex house paint. What color is your Jeep? If its a metallic this will not work. If you wanted a black semi-gloss hood this will be good. If a stock color is what you demand then an automotive body shop is where you will have to go.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

This is the best picture to show color that I have:

My Jeep is a factory color. So it wouldn't be a dead match but it'd be close right? Couldn't an MAB paint shop or similar place tint the rustoleum to match the color that I have now?
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Indy

Nope. Rustoleum is as the good lord created. If you mix red and blue youll get purple and thats about as tintable as the product is.

If you want to go rusto at least the hood will be seeing a full color change.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Indy

And if you do go rusto, it doesnt hold up well. It will fade and oxidize in a year or two unless it gets real regular buffing and polish. Ive done it more than once(spray it as i have a life beyond sanding my car) and have it slated for another project this summer.

It is funny that youre concerned about getting a sub-par paint job from maaco and at the same time planning to use a roller and rustoleum as an upgrade.

Unread 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
It is funny that youre concerned about getting a sub-par paint job from maaco and at the same time planning to use a roller and rustoleum as an upgrade.
Yeah I know, I sometimes get too hung up on a particular method and can't just take a step back and ask myself, what the hell am I doing?

But, I'm thinking maybe a two tone thing, repainting the entire upper part of the car. I'll put up a picture later.
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Indy

You can get a *decent* paint job with rustoleum. You can't let yourself be fooled though, what looks OMG THAT'S AMAZING on your PC is more than likely a 20/20 paintjob. That is in real life it looks good at 20 feet and 20mph.

My Sammi, looked good. A few years later that retina burning yellow had turned into a faded/milky yellow. Buffing and wax brought it about 80% back for about 80% as long, declining returns from there. If you could find a clear coat that would bond correctly it would probably hold up better. But it was an offroad toy and fading colors didn't bother me as bouncing it off trees did more damage. But it looked pretty decent.

Same with my old IH box truck.

But a few years later it was a faded red/pinkish rusty mess.

It's a good beater project, but a poor show car project. Just have to be reasonable in your expectations.

My latest off-road will get the rusto treatment as well, but I'm going for OD on it so when it fades out it will probably end up looking exactly right!

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

if you use rustoleum,use the Topside..its for marine use so is pretty tough and is UV rated

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Indy

UV protection would do wonders to it holding up. Never heard of it around here though, at least not at lowes/home depot

Unread 05-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
UV protection would do wonders to it holding up. Never heard of it around here though, at least not at lowes/home depot
Here it is...
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

Our lowes carries it and walmart here also has had it,i bought a quart to do an old riding mower of mine since UV damage is astronimical here in SE Georgia.

It acts just like any other rustoleum,takes a while to fully harden up just like regular rustoleum..not sure if you can add a hardener to it like you can a regular rustoleum to speed up the cure time and not effect it's UV protection.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 05-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Indy

I hang out at lowes when im bored, a diy geek i guess . Ill have to look and see if im missing it on the shelves. I dont see the horrendous colors i like though, "safety" colors on my offroad rigs do it for me for some reason. The topside colors look downright reasonable

Unread 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Hmmmm, lots to think about here. I'm gonna out of commission most of the summer, gonna have to get surgery, so I'm trying to think about what I can do. Anyone have any pictures of a bedlinered hood? That'd be pretty freaking simple, I just don't know how it'd blend with the rest of the car. Maybe it'd blend better if I bedlinered the lower plastic trim pieces on the doors.

I'm thinking I'm going to do this too: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...43/index2.html with a flat black. That would look amazing!
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Anyone have any pictures of a bedlinered hood? That'd be pretty freaking simple, I just don't know how it'd blend with the rest of the car.
Try rolling on rustoleum high heat satin black. I painted the whole outside of my CJ with it and it looks great. With the rougher texture, most people who approach me think its bed liner. If you don't like it, it would be easier to take off. It's so easy and cheap that you could put it on as a test before bed lining.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/...inish-1437342/
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

I dont get it ....why wouldn't you just order some real automotive paint from Summit Racing and do it right? ....you'll find that 2/3rds of the work is in the prep ...I cant imagine myself going through all that work, and then NOT spraying some good paint on that'll look nice for a long time.

...and seriously, a roller? that would take forever
Unread 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980tallcj7 View Post
I dont get it ....why wouldn't you just order some real automotive paint from Summit Racing and do it right? ....you'll find that 2/3rds of the work is in the prep ...I cant imagine myself going through all that work, and then NOT spraying some good paint on that'll look nice for a long time.

...and seriously, a roller? that would take forever
Some people just plain don;t have funds to buy the air compressor,air filters/moisture removers.....paint guns for primer and top coats...The MUCH higher prices fo urethanes,base coatt,clear coat....even the acrylic enamel single stage,which won;t last much longer if at all than a rustoleum paint in harsh weather...

And to spray a "good"job you need to at least build a temporary type of paint booth area.....more money........

I'm also the one who would rather spend the money to do a good quality paint job..but...i already have all the equipment...you spend a grand and more getting everything if you are starting with nothing..and thats a tight budget to get even the low quality equipment worthy of a decent spray job..

Never forget 9/11

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.