Another paint option... (Trinity paint) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > Another paint option... (Trinity paint)

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #31
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

okay so i got my trinity acrylic urethane paint kit. the gallon of color says to mix 4:1 reducer. do i need an activator? i was sent a pint of hardener but no activator. The webite says 8:2:1. did i get the wrong stuff?

from the site:
Ratio is 8 parts paint, 2 parts Urethane Reducer, 1 Part Urethane activator.

also i have a lacquer primer. i think i thin it 1:1 with lacquer thinner. does that sound right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #32
AndreLeMoine
1985 CJ7 

Paint

Maybe the hardener that they sent you is the activator? A question of terminology maybe? I ended up purchasing Kirker " Winter White " for my CJ7. I bought the start to finish kit that is sold on Smartshopper.com. Too cold to paint right now so just lots of sanding and prep. I decided on the white because of the summers we have here. Looking forward to laying down some paint but willing to be patient. Andre.
AndreLeMoine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #33
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Hardener is going to be the activator.

Sent from my DROID3 using JeepForum
Unread 12-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #34
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. If I need to thin the paint, what do I use? its acrylic urethane.

Quote:
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #35
AndreLeMoine
1985 CJ7 

There should be "reducer" available for your paint and it may be temperature dependent, ie- above 80 degrees, below 80 degrees, 60-70 degrees etc,. Contact your paint supplier. Andre.
AndreLeMoine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #36
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Got the jeep primed. Two good coats, no runs. Do I need to sand the primer before spraying the topcoat? or just wipe it down with the tack cloth?

Quote:
Unread 12-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #37
paulmv17

If you don't apply the topcoat within the primers topcoat timeframe, the info will be on the can or in the paperwork you got with it, you will have to sand the primer. If your certain that you don't have any runs or imperfections and can apply with in the time frame then no sanding needed. If it were me I would let the primer cure and then sand to your liking then topcoat. Just my opinion though
paulmv17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #38
kenlena46

Nice
kenlena46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #39
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well I asked a few friends what they would do. I was told to wet sand the primer with 600 grit and wipe it down. I'm spraying the topcoat tomorrow so I'll tack-cloth it in the morning beforehand. I got a couple propane heaters for drying the topcoats.
After I finish the topcoats, what then? How long does it need to sit before I drive it out into the weather?

Quote:
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJeepr View Post
Well i could not be happier with outcome of the Trinity paint that i got. I sprayed the hood, tailgate, dash, front fenders and windshield frame last night with great results and not a run one. My first time ever touching a spray gun too. I think that says a lot of the paints ease of use. I did think that the Blue Sapphire Metallic that i got would be more blue but it is sooooo dark that it has a purple-ish look to it. THE METALLIC IN THIS PAINT IS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!. Enjoy the pics.

SCjeepr, that came out awesome. I have the same paint but metallic blue color. Howd you get it to go on so shiny?
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #41
SCJeepr
1982 CJ8 

All I did was follow the instructions and this is how it came out. I have had to buff out the hood a couple of times. This paint seems to oxidize relatively easy in direct sun light on and on. I will be using it on my next project as well.
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #42
462FSJ
1973 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalcj5 View Post
Here's another pic with the cage in.

Attachment 284130

Attachment 284132
462FSJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #43
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

I've been looking for something like this for my WJ. I was going to plasti dip the whole thing but this is much cheaper. Plus my buddy has a spray booth and will shoot it cheap. I might use the fathem green. I think it would look cool on a WJ especially since mine has dark tinted windows and taillights.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.