'94 Jeep ZJ Touch Up Paint Guide - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Paint and Body > '94 Jeep ZJ Touch Up Paint Guide

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Shanebear
1994 ZJ 

'94 Jeep ZJ Touch Up Paint Guide

Good evening,

I'd like to repair some paint chips on the hood of my 1994 ZJ, but I'm having trouble getting the process down in my head. As far as I know, it goes something like this:

1. Clean area (will use rubbing alcohol)
2. Apply self-etching primer
3. Apply color-matched touch up paint
4. Apply clear coat

Is that right? Mopar sells my bright white touch up paint, but that's about it. I'm not sure about the clear coat though, would a generic one work?

Ughh!

Shanebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Shanebear
1994 ZJ 

Bump
Shanebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
ffjs87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I may get flamed for this, and it will tell you that I am no body man, but I once repaired a panel with just spray cans it was nearly unnoticeable.

I started with by getting to clean metal(and I welded/ground a patch), then wax and grease remover. in your case, if you don't have rust, you just need a rough surface to get the paint to stick. Any deep gouges may need filler to level the surface. Still prep with wax and grease remover either way.

I used all compatible duplicolor products. Roughed up with 400 grit, self etch, primer sealer. I masked the area larger than necessary, and after the final prime I pulled the tape and knocked down the edge with 600 wet sand paper.

Then I did color, and clear without masking. This allowed me to buff and blend the clear almost seamlessly.

As stated, I used all duplicolor, but whatever you use, get color and clear together. Non compatible products will ruin your results.
ffjs87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.