Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Transmissions > Transmissions > Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Transmissions Next Product

Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $4,345,340.00
Average Price: $1,086,340.95
Manufacturer: Royal Purple
Recommended?
Yes: 2 / No: 2

From RP website:
Max-Gear is an ultra-tough automotive gear oil. Itís designed to maximize power and provide unsurpassed protection to heavily loaded gears. It makes gears run smoother, quieter, cooler and longer without overhauls. Max-Gear outperforms other gear oils because it combines the highest quality synthetic oils with Royal Purpleís proprietary Synslide additive technology. Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

trw

trw's Reviews

03-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Price: $7.00
Pros: fancy color
Cons: short life, causes very bad shifting once the oil expires
Recommended? No

Comments: well I first tried Royal purple after hearing good things about the stuff, and for a while it worked just fine in my AX15 transmission.

but after about 9k miles on it, my AX15 began to lock me out of any gear after coasting to a stop and trying to shift into gear from nuetral (mind you, this is a brand new AX15 with about 10k total miles on it). Fearing the worst, I began to diagnos and first changed the oil.....low and behold my AX15 worked perfectly fine after that and never had shifting issues again.

I changed the oil and got rid of the Royal Purple junk and went back to using Pennzoil Synchromesh that I had used just fine for a long time in my old AX5.

oh and for the record, I was using Royal Purple Synchromax oil, not max gear, but Synchromax isn't available, so I posted my review here.

skip-yj
skip-yj's Reviews
07-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Price: $7.00
Pros: runs cool
Cons: ..........
Recommended? Yes

Comments: does good. trany doesnt whine anymore and runs cooler now

wrangler_usmc
wrangler_usmc's Reviews

09-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Royal Purple Max-Gear 75W-90
Price: $9.79
Pros: Great information out ther about it
Cons: Performance in my AX-15
Recommended? No

Comments: I decided to try out RP after reading comments about using GL-5 lubes in the AX-15 at www.stu-offroad.com. I went with RP because of all the great things I have heard and after reading the product data sheet found here http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil-pp.html

Results? I should have stuck with the Mobil1. My AX-15, like many others, is a pita . I thought the Max-gear would be of benefit....it's shifting rougher now then it ever has.

I have also thrown the max-gear in the diffs....so far so good there.