post #1 of Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
MLJeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Rustys RS-SC250-UV

Rusty's steering conversion is a complete steering system, replacing the factory Y-design with a wheel to wheel tie-rod. Rusty's tie-rods are built of 1" drawn over mandrel (dom) tubing and are powdercoated for durability and a great look. Rusty's steering system comes with conventional tie-rod ends. The conventional tie-rod ends last much longer than the race type heim ends and can be bought at any rural auto parts store (part# ES140R & ES62L). Whether you're in moab or in the smokey mountains of tellico you can find replacement parts. So if you're an off road enthusiast tired of bending parts or have a street Jeep tired of poor handling and excessive tire wear, go with rusty's steering system conversion. For installation we recommend having the drag-link attach ABOVE the tie-rod for lifts of 4.5" or more to help reduce angles.

We can make this an over-the-knuckle version as well with shims, weld-on trac-bar bracket and extended sway bar links. Call for details.
There are no related items at this time.

post #2 of Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
MLJeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Rustys RS-SC250-UV

Excellent product for the money
post #3 of Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 AM
bigred_topher
1995 ZJ 

Rustys RS-SC250-UV

i guess this is the product number...but it's the front adjustable trac bar and the wheel to wheel tie rod
post #4 of Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM
jeepmansro
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, its a different linkage setup than stock. I guess its a little better, but since getting the setup, I already replaced 2 of the 4 tie rod ends. One cause the ball joint threads stripped out and the castle nut wouldn't tighten down anymore. The other cause the boot was so small and, got destroyed rather quickly and the joint froze.

Also the whole setup kept twisting when i turned the wheel back and forth. Upon doing some research, I found out that some people put in place of the dust boots on each knuckle, like a flat plastic washer (about 1/2 in thick) to keep things tight.

How much more sturdy is the tubing and such? Well to me it does not feel much better than stock.

I didn't want to screw around with a knuckle over setup, but still, I would try a different company's fix to the problem of lifted truck steering geometry.

Last edited by jeepmansro; 10-18-2009 at 06:15 AM.
post #5 of Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM
kwape
1998 ZJ 

negatives:
trac bar bolt looks like it could rub with tie ried on the trail but has not and has not on normal driving conditions.(i have 4.5" BDS lift that uses larger than stock hardware). hardware for steering stabilizer is weak to my standards so i purchased some 1/2 inch grade 8 hardware. If you have a tapperd bolt on your stabilizer on the end that mounts to the drag link, you will need to replace it with a 1/2 inch bolt, (The kit does not come with this bolt if u have this problem).

good things:
super strong tubing. bring to a good alignment shop when finished to prevent tie rod rubbing on trac bar bolt. Good TRW tie rod ends. corrects my steering geometry and has a much better response. no play whatsoever.

Last edited by kwape; 04-05-2010 at 07:52 PM.
post #6 of Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love my new Rustys steering set up. It's full replacement, much thicker than stock, and was an easy bolt on swap that took about an hour. I feel confident in my tie rod ends and in the thickness and strength in my tie rod.

2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
post #7 of Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 AM
98sarXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

product looks and feels very sturdy. i installed it in about an hour. i tested the steering and found that it hit my front diff cover (aftermarket solid), and it hit my lower track bar bolt causing me to only be able to turn about half as sharp as stock. what good is a steering upgrade if i can't steer.

Never Stop Exploring
post #8 of Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
TOW_HOOK
1957 CJ3B 

i bought it over the othesr due to price, i bought rustys stuff before, and never was happy with it. you get what ya pay for... and now no more money to rusty... the drag link, and tie rod both bent pretty quick i might add, and i've been though 3 sets ( of 4 ) of tie rod ends, the ends are not big enough, i blew 3 ends just on the street. i have a set of moogs in it now, and i'll be sleaving the bottom rod with 3/8 dom tube to straighten it, and then sell it after april... i was planning on doing a otk, but not with this junk.. i've had it 2 years, and have less then 5000 miles on it...