Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Steering > Rugged Ridge Heavy-Duty Steering Linkage Kit - YJ

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Rugged Ridge Heavy-Duty Steering Linkage Kit - YJ Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Steering Next Product

Rugged Ridge Heavy-Duty Steering Linkage Kit - YJ

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $189.00
Average Price: $174.13
Manufacturer: Rugged Ridge
Recommended?
Yes: 6 / No: 2

The tubes are 1-1/4 inch ID steel that is cold rolled, pierced, and drawn through dies to produce a 1/4 in. wall thickness.

This is true DOM tubing with NO seams OR welds to fail.

Heavy duty 7/8 inch rod ends feature standard tapered ends to fit stock knuckle applications.

You get one ton strength without any modifications to your steering knuckles.

FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY. DEATH WOBBLE may occur at speeds over 35mph

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

metalry101

metalry101's Reviews
01-22-2012, 03:05 AM
Price: $200.00
Pros: -Price -Bolt on (no reaming of the knuckles) -HUGE rods
Cons: -A bit vague on center, but no worse than my stock setup -Hits my SOLID diff cover at lock, limiting steering throw
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Haven't gotten to use it on the rocks yet, but it's definitely stout. The vague on center feel is partly due to my steering box being worn, and partly due to the linkage rotating instead of moving left and right. My stock setup did the same thing though, so it may be a design fault. I will eventually play with pitman arms and whatnot to see if the problem can be remedied.

metalry101

metalry101's Reviews
01-22-2012, 03:04 AM
Price: $200.00
Pros: -Price -Bolt on (no reaming of the knuckles) -HUGE rods
Cons: -A bit vague on center, but no worse than my stock setup -Hits my SOLID diff cover at lock, limiting steering throw
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Haven't gotten to use it on the rocks yet, but it's definitely stout. The vague on center feel is partly due to my steering box being worn, and partly due to the linkage rotating instead of moving left and right. My stock setup did the same thing though, so it may be a design fault. I will eventually play with pitman arms and whatnot to see if the problem can be remedied.

Gunner017
Gunner017's Reviews

01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Price: $189.00
Pros: Great fit and finish, easy install.
Cons: Cant get the tie rod ends from anybody but Rugged Ridge.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Im super pleased with this upgrade. Its easy to install and has corrected many problems my wore out stock stearing had. Follow there instructions and use common sense and you will be fine. I installed this on a 94 YJ with none of the issues listed here by others. By far the best bang for your buck. Save your money and dont buy the $300-$500 systems out there.

jlimit1

jlimit1's Reviews

12-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Price: $170.00
Pros: Beefy,Well made,Good warranty
Cons: Bad design, ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT WORK WITH STOCK Back space 15IN RIMS
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Pretty easy to install. The whole kit seems super strong and beefy. Low upgrade cost. Although advertised as universal for many different model jeeps its a little missleading. And when Rugged Ridge says "slight rubbing may occur on stock 15in rims" they are'nt joking. You have to use different backspaced rim's in the front.

conrasm

conrasm's Reviews

11-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Price: $180.00
Pros: Strong, easy installation
Cons: Tie rod roll, bad design
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought this despite several people warning me about the flawed design. The drag link attaches to the front of the tie rod, causing the tie rod to "roll" up and down when you turn the wheel before the tires actually start to move. This leaves you with a significant "dead spot" in you steering wheel when you go to turn the wheel, most dangerous on back roads where you are constantly changing directions, or on highways when a big truck passes you and the wind pushes you. At first, the dead spot wasn't bad, but it soon grew to almost 180 degrees of steering wheel movement before the whees would actually turn (and everything was tight).

There are shim kits available from a couple on line vendors, but I made my own. Just ordered a track bar bushing kit at Advance auto for $6, took one side of the poly bushing in a vice a cut it with a reciprocating saw. The hole in the middle is perfect size to fit over the tapered tie rod end. This ends up compressing the grease boot, but I'll take that over tighter steering any day. I ended up shimming the drag link to tie rod, and both tie rod ends at either knuckle and the steering was basically back to stock feel with minimal dead spot.

I have since removed this setup from my XJ. I am selling the XJ and the drag link to tie road end will come in contact with the inside of a stock 15x7 rim with sharp turns to the left and actually knock the balancing weights off. I haven't decided if I wil but this on my TJ. May just go with ZJ upgrade to the TJ setup and sell this for a song and dance or just scrap it.

I gave this a rating of 3 because of the work required to make this acceptable to drive on the road. If I wouldn't have been able to shim it, I would have taken it off and sent it back. It was that bad and scary on the road. There is also the problem of getting replacement tie rod ends. I never did get an answer if I could find something at a parts store to use or if I had to get the rugged ridge stuff.

YJ-Jer

YJ-Jer's Reviews
02-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Price: $165.00
Pros: helped reduce bump steer
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy to install and is way beefier than stock. I was a little bothered by the fact that the length of the shaft used to adjust the steering wheel position was too long, even when it was at its shortest length, to center the wheel. I had to move the tie rod to get it to line up properly. not a huge deal and extremely minor overall. I am glad I did the upgrade.

Lambo3244
Lambo3244's Reviews

01-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Price: $100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I was forced to get this kit because my steering arm completely collapsed on me. (Dont ask how) So, I picked this up...and it is amazing. These steering arms and linkages are NOT going to bend or go ANYWHERE. Recommend this one.

Russ_93YJ
Russ_93YJ's Reviews

11-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Price: $189.00
Recommended? No

Comments: It's strong as hell! I like how the drag link was moved out closer to the hub to decreace angles. When I fliped the steering is when it became a nightmare. There is an angle on the tie rod end that puts space so your drag link and tir rod bar will not come in contact. When fliped it becomes a real problem by pulling the bars closer together.