Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Steering > Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Steering Crossover TJ, XJ,and ZJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Steering Crossover TJ, XJ,and ZJ Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Steering Next Product

Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Steering Crossover TJ, XJ,and ZJ

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $150.00
Average Price: $184.45
Manufacturer: Rugged Ridge
Recommended?
Yes: 4 / No: 7

Beef up your ride with Rugged Ridge steering components. This is a bolt-on solution for preventing bent tie rods from wheeling with larger tires. The tubes are 1.25" ID SAE 1018 that is cold rolled, pierced, and drawn through dies to produce wall thickness of .25". this true DOM tubing with no seams or welds to fail. Heavy-duty 7/8" rod ends feature standard tapered ends to fit stock knuckle applications. You get one ton strength without any modifications to your steering knuckles.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

cjmack21
cjmack21's Reviews
01-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: none
Cons: blows out tie rods every 6 months.
Recommended? No

Comments: Thought this would be a upgrade to the stock steering and I was wrong. This is actually just 93-98 Grand Cherokee steering. It is thicker but the design is flawed. Tie rods are toast in no time at all. I drive my Jeep about 8,000 miles a year.

slickfreeze

slickfreeze's Reviews

10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: nothing really
Cons: everything
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought this set up about 3 months ago. I have a 6" lift and this product was at such a bad angle hooking to the pitman that the rod end blew out in the first month. I even had the longest drop pitman I could find. It would probably fit better on a 4" lift.
The second problem was the dead spot, the whole tie rod would roll when the wheel would turn adding a scary dead spot in the steering. I got some polly spacers and it helped a little.
Third problem is the rod ends, every single one of them blew out in 3 months time. I think that dead spot roll made them wear out quick since they were constantly moving back and forth any time the wheel was turned. I bought a Currie system today and let me tell you the quality is night and day. The Currie is better in every way (except price, but obviously you get what you pay for). I bought mine at 4wheelparts, and for 40 bucks more they will cover tie rod ends for life. Do yourself a favor, buy the Currie. You wont regret it.

NIN20
NIN20's Reviews

09-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Price: $169.99
Pros: Stronger than stock
Cons: poor design, lots of play
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought this kit to address my need for stronger steering after lifting my XJ. The only thing i noticed after installed was the HUGE amount of play in my steering wheel. I even installed poly spacers to help with some of he play. I would not recommend this product, Although the price is enticing, save your money and get a nicer set up

hallsofstone

hallsofstone's Reviews
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Price: $225.00
Pros: Full crossover - beefy - heavy end links - easy install - easy to fine tune - cheap
Cons: minimal roll - many reports of premature failure
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Recently installed this about 1000 miles ago and have not yet seen any of the issues other folks report with looseness and wobbling. It is absolutely beefy and a perfect fit. Cheap and came with the mounts for the steering stabilizer. Everything looks like high-quality parts including Omix-Aida componants. I doubt I'll ever have to mess with steering again until I order new end links from RR.

Offroad, this handles 12.5 wide tires with ease. This steering coupled with the Durango gear box resulted in one of the sweetest handling heeps I've ever owned on the road.

letitloose06

letitloose06's Reviews

05-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Price: $170.00
Pros: Beefy steering links. Thats about it.
Cons: Tie rod ends suck. Replacement ends only available from RR. Odd tie rod end size (M22x1.5)
Recommended? No

Comments: Tie rode ends are junk. They also aren't available at parts stores, so you have to buy them from RR. Has the "dead spot" from tie rod end roll. Also TRE's are not 7/8" as advertised. The are actually M22x1.5, which makes upgrading to actual 1-ton ends not possible. Do yourself a favor and don't waste the money.

Cavguy1965

Cavguy1965's Reviews
03-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Price: $175.00
Pros: Much better than stock! Easy to install.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Controls my 35's with ease and made the steering much more solid. I'm not sure what I paid for it though as I bought it a year or more ago.

abnormal

Platinum Member
abnormal's Reviews

10-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Price: $150.00
Pros: rods are strong
Cons: everything else.
Recommended? No

Comments: Because I have a 6.5" lift I had issues from day one with this kit. I ended up putting the iron rock offroad OTK setup on and the steering is perfect now. If you have more than 3" I wouldnt bother with this setup since its an inverted t design and you will have tons of play.

Sterner09

Sterner09's Reviews
03-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Pros: Solid rod, have yet to wheel with it.
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed without drilling or reaming, fairly cheap.

Boyjeepin
Boyjeepin's Reviews

03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Price: $170.00
Pros: Very beefy design. Easy to install. Would make very hard to bend.
Cons: Will not work on XJ with stock wheels as the tierod rubs and prevents you from turning. Also, will not work without a lift as the steering stabilizer will smash into the oil pan and cause it to break open....ask me how I know!
Recommended? No

Comments: If you are driving a stock height and stock wheeled XJ I would not buy this product. I got this after my original setup got bent up and I didn't want to pay for the Currie. I can no longer run a stabilizer, and have horrible front end wobble. I would only buy this product for a non daily driver.

JeepDoo

JeepDoo's Reviews

12-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Price: $169.00
Pros: Beefy, seems indestructible
Cons: Horrible DEATH WOBBLE on the highway. I strongly suggest this steering for offroad use only. I am replacing this with a stock-like y setup instead.
Recommended? No

Comments: Like i said, if you drive your Jeep at speeds over 35 mph, dont get this setup. It is for offroad use only, as they advertise on the web site (i didnt listen).

For offroading i dont think there is a better bolt on solution. It has tons of play, i dont ever see it binding up. The play is what causes the death wobble on the road.

CalebsXJ

CalebsXJ's Reviews

12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Steering Crossover TJ, XJ,and ZJ
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Awesome Setup for the price! Very beefy and well worth the Dough! Makes steering feel alot tighter then OEM... Well not bend (unless you smack a rock on a 4foot drop, inwhich anything would bend lol) Great alternative to a Currie!