Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Brakes > Black Magic Brakes - Black Magic Front Brake Pads

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Black Magic Brakes - Black Magic Front Brake Pads Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Brakes Next Product

Black Magic Brakes - Black Magic Front Brake Pads

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $125.00
Average Price: $221.40
Manufacturer: Black Magic Brakes
Recommended?
Yes: 15 / No: 0
Company Website: http://blackmagicbrakes.com/

Hands down, the best brake upgrade I've had.

Swap-out took about 3 hours (mostly since I changed out the stock soft brake lines for the Champion kevlar reinforced 5-layer lines from Quadratec at the same time). Blain's kit included everything I needed to make the swap easy (pads even pre-installed into the new calipers), and they were here 4 days after I ordered them via USPS priority mail.

I upgraded my stock brakes to Black Magics with the package-deal Centric Premium Rotors and new calipers, and what a difference. I could never get my 31" tires to squeal when stopping (even on wet pavement most of the time), but after following the break-in instructions to the letter, these things ROCK. Smooth, predictable, and solid stopping power for my TJ without bigger rotors or doing anything crazy. They will lock up the front tires (no ABS on my TJ and the rear's are still drums) if you want them too, but it's not grabby or touchy. Initial braking performance is very good, but as advertised, they improve the more they're used.

Check the thread out in the forum (it's pretty lengthy now, but worth the read). That's where I made the decision to go with Blain's product vs. ordering slotted/driller rotors and pads from Q-tec.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Hamms
Hamms's Reviews
09-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Price: $125.00
Pros: Work as advertised
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Front-Black-Magic-Brake-Pads-477-Upgrade-to-Stock-Brake-Pads-Front-BMB-Pads-477.htm

shewantsthedj
shewantsthedj's Reviews

09-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Work well, long lasting
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got the pads and rotors awhile ago and never looked back. They perform well even after upgrading to 33s. I am really impressed and will definitely purchase again when needed.

Zenex
Zenex's Reviews
12-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Price: $225.00
Pros: Great brake upgrade
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just finish the break in procedure of centric rotors and BM pads, i can say they brake a lot more than the stock brakes.

Disconnect

Disconnect's Reviews

10-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Price: $220.00
Pros: Wonderful stopping power Lasted almost 3 years(!) before needing replacement
Cons: Bedding process takes a while. Not difficult in any way, but to do it properly means the jeep is mostly out of commission for an evening and a morning.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought these from MrBlaine back in March 2011, and the difference was night and day. After upgrading to 33s (P285/75R16) the stock brakes were very mushy, and stopping was challenging at best.

I ordered the rotor/pads kit (using the stock calipers) and bedded them in per the included directions. Installation was quick and easy, not particularly harder than a standard pad change. Bedding them in is just a specific series of stops, with one overnight cooldown period.

At the beginning of the bedding, they were only a little better than stock had been, but even before the overnight rest the improvement was huge. After the bedding was done, it stopped better than when it was brand new from the factory. Over the next week or so it kept improving.

The pads are more expensive, but they lasted FOREVER. I am getting ready to order my first set of replacements, 2 and a half years and 50k miles later.

jwill
jwill's Reviews

07-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Great stopping power
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I replaced my EBC Greenstuff pads with Black Magic pads and Centric Premium rotors. The difference in stopping power is pretty remarkable. I wasn't expecting the difference that it made.

Extremely fast shipping plus free shipping. Definitely worth the price! Also, when I called Blaine during install he answered his phone first time and had the answers I was looking for.

The customer service is just as good as the product.

bondosgto
bondosgto's Reviews

12-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Price: $505.00
Pros: WAY better than stock brakes.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Couple of weeks ago I had a sticking front caliper, so i pretty much parked the jeep until i could figure out a solution. After doing a search on JF I figured to try the Black Magic pads. I ordered the front and rear pads and rotors and front caliper package. After lining up a fellow JF member to help do the install he decided to not respond to my messages so I went to a buddys house to do the install. After a trip into town and a few hours later in the rain we had finished installing every thing and flushed the brake system I took the jeep out. I did a couple of 10-0 stops to make sure every thing was good. I then did a 30-0 stop then a couple 50-20 stops to build up some heat, then I did a 70-0. After that, I did a 50-0 panic stop on the cold wet pavment. All I can say is WOW, the pads have great cold and hot bite, way better pedal feel, and I actually feel as if i can stop in time for other cars and elk on the roads. They work great in town and out on the highway where I have a lot of people turning into driveways and roads.
Do yourself, and everyone around you, a favor and upgrade your brakes.

rogerschrisj
rogerschrisj's Reviews
09-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Works great
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I don't remember how much I paid. The p price wasn't bad. Works great. My review is too short. Still too short.

czechsky
czechsky's Reviews
08-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Price: $225.00
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Front rotors and pads. Will include a review once I test them on the sand dunes. 5 star rating based on friend's experience with these.

john NC

john NC's Reviews
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Price: $80.00
Pros: They stop REALLY well with my 33s.
Cons: Ex-girlfriend almost through up first time i locked them up
Recommended? Yes

Comments: After installing 33, the stock brakes made stopping scary at best. I don't have the cash for the VANCO kit so I ordered a set of these pads with centrum premium rotors. Install was straightforward. The first stop I made while bedding these almost made my heart stop it stopped so well and they've only gotten better. If you have bigger than stock tires and don't wanna spring for the VANCO kit, these are THE way to go!

grogie

M-F: Cell Block #4533
grogie's Reviews

05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Steady, straight stopping.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: After I installed my lift, the stock brakes were not stopping my TJ straight. I'd move around in the lane, and hard stopping was not safe.

After installing the black magic brakes, wow... what a difference! If I step too hard on the peddle they lock up! Nice.

-BeNt-
-BeNt-'s Reviews
04-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Price: $410.00
Pros: Great braking. Very good upgrade from the OEM equipment.
Cons: None, other than the gap of price from $65 to $125 for the front pads. Is it worth it?? It's up to you.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: $410 was for the centric rotors and drums, front pads, rear shows, full drum parts kit, and shipping included. Awesome braking power for my uses and I'm on 35's even though it's not suggested to run anything but a Vanco big brake if you are a tire this large. This will give me some time to save up for the Vanco job probably next year.

Fropleyqk

Fropleyqk's Reviews

04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Price: $189.00
Pros: Outstanding shipping and cost.
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Havent had a chance to break the brakes in yet but Blain's business model is spot on. Ordered the Centric rotors and BM pads on a Monday and they were installed here at home by the end of the day Wed. (Thats from CA to GA with no shipping or tax charges). Hell, I had a tracking number and hour and a half after I placed the order. Blain, you're an *** online (albeit, a smart, smart *** ) but you definitely know how to please a customer.

I have no doubt we'll be pleased with the results based solely off of the numerous stories I've read in TJ tech.

jeepinmichguy_

I haz ah Geep
jeepinmichguy_'s Reviews
02-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Hard cold and hot bite, inexpensive for 33 inch tires
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased a set of the Dana 30 pads and rotors for my TJ running 33 inch MT/R Kevlars because I was not happy with the stock brakes. Black Magic Brakes shipped the item quickly and I reciever my new pads in less than a week and I paired them up with some Centric Premium rotors as suggested by Blaine. ***Make sure these brakes are cleaned before install and broken in properly for maximum performance.***

The cold bite on these pads ware far better than the Centric EBC Yellow combo I had on the YJ. The stopping difference compaired to the stock pads and rotors was unbelievable. I liked them so much a got a second set for the eifes TJ. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND these pads to anyone looking for an upgrade from stock. I will never buy another set of pads and rotors if possible. A+++

Tenshots1
Tenshots1's Reviews
11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Way better than old brakes
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It was $250 for pads, rotors, and calibers from Blaine. He installed them for free because he's a champ and they have been working flawlessly

TexJeepTJ

TexJeepTJ's Reviews
10-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Price: $290.00
Pros: AWESOME stopping power without changing the size of the rotors or associated equipment
Cons: Not really a con, but FOLLOW THE BREAK-IN DIRECTIONS EXACTLY
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great product for a great price. Check out the thread in the forum -- you'll be convinced.