Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Yukon - Yukon Spartan Locker

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Yukon - Yukon Spartan Locker Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Yukon - Yukon Spartan Locker

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $299.00
Average Price: $244.70
Manufacturer: Yukon
Recommended?
Yes: 32 / No: 1
Company Website: http://www.yukongear.com

More heavy duty than any other lunchbox style locker out there with bigger pins and springs. Engages smoothly, extremely quiet and works great. Installation is a breeze and the instructions that come with it are concise. As an added bonus, the cross pin is included.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

Yj350tbi
Yj350tbi's Reviews
08-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Price: $305.00
Pros: Adds traction in 4wd.
Cons: Hard to turn when in 4wd
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very cheap a safe way to lock front end. Great for a weekend trail / dd.

moparguy21
moparguy21's Reviews

03-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: easy install
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I haven't had this long but so far it works great locks and unlocks how it should easy to install if you know how to work on a diff no noise unless I hav the wheel turnd all the way to turn around then you hear it unlocking but not bad for the price u cant go wrong I hav it in my front dana 30 make shur you use synthetic gear oil and remove factory thrush washers

great product would buy agen

Matt Graham

Matt Graham's Reviews
02-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Price: $235.00
Pros: inexpensive, easy install, excellent traction
Cons: Don't have the ability to disengage the locker, sometimes you can hear it 'clicking' when turning
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall I'm happy with the spartan locker. It wasn't quite as "invisible" in 2wd as I thought it'd be, but after driving with it a few days it feels normal and you don't think about it. The traction offroad is amazing, night and day difference. I consider it to be very quiet. If the radio is off and you have the window down you can hear a faint clicking during a sharp turn, but if the radio is on or you're talking to someone else it is barely even noticeable and I was happy with that.

The install was pretty easy except for having to remove the carrier and ring gear to be able to slide the cross pin out. Other than that it was pretty easy.

CJ7KAHUNA

CJ7KAHUNA's Reviews
10-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Price: $275.00
Pros: Easy install - does what its designed to do!
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have this locker installed in my Dana 30. The install was simple but I installed it into a new carrier that was yet to be installed so YMMV. It works great and I've had no issues with it so far.

j33pman

j33pman's Reviews
07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Cheap, works, Quieter than my Broken detroit EZ locker
Cons: not selectable
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Broke my Detroit EZ Locker and replaced with the Spartan, good so far!

bowtech

bowtech's Reviews
05-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Price: $25.00
Pros: Works as designed
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed this in my Dana 30. Simple installation in the driveway. No need to perform gear set up. I ran these for a while with the axle disconnect and am now running it without the disconnect. No excessive noises when driving on the street. This is a really strong lunchbox type locker

TellicoTJ

TellicoTJ's Reviews
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Price: $285.00
Pros: Strong, Easy install, best money ive spent on my jeep in awhile
Cons: It will make alot of noise in 2wd when turning and when it unloads untill it gets broken in. then its pretty quiet.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: same thing as the aussie but better built, locks/unlocks quietly, night and day difference in traction. every jeep should have one.

CharlieHo

Get Savvy
CharlieHo's Reviews
03-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Inexpensive, easy install, awesome performance
Cons: ...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed this in the front axle. Rear axle is still open. I LOVE this upgrade.

Truly invisible in 2wd. Once in a while it will pop going around a sharp turn, but, nothing to worry about.

Finallyajeep
Finallyajeep's Reviews

03-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Price: $269.00
Pros: Relatively easy install for never having worked on a diff. before. Works as it should. Actually felt as if the steering has become a little tighter.
Cons: A little loud for the first week or so, now its much quieter. Don't screw up your axle seals putting the shafts back in (ask me how I know )
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I was looking to lock my front axle, but didn't have the funds to buy a selectable locker. The Spartan has worked great for what I need it for, and is hardly noticeable on the street. Most of the time I forget its there, that is until you throw it in 4x4. All the components came packaged well, and were very stout, especially the new center pin. The directions were a little unclear in parts, maybe just because I had never worked on a diff. before. Overall very happy with this product.

jm708
jm708's Reviews

09-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Price: $230.00
Pros: Install was straight forward, does what it was made to do. And does it well.
Cons: It was a bit noisy but with Lucas oil and you can hardly hear it now.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had it in my amc 20 for just over a month now. It works great on my DD. It was loud at first but I change the dif oil to Lucas oil and you can hardly hear it. I was worried after it was in with regular gear oil. It was so loud and pop like something broke nearly every shift and curve in the road. Now I just have to see how crazy it will be in the snow this winter. I'll report back.

robert1973

robert1973's Reviews
07-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Price: $264.00
Pros: Super easy install
Cons: Will update after some time of use
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Not enough use to give review as of yet

daren_r
daren_r's Reviews

05-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Pros: Digs in great. Crawled over things that I never thought I could before.
Cons: LOUD. VERY LOUD. Bangs and clicks all the time. Sounds like my front end is going to explode.
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought based on other reviews and write ups. Click bang click bang is all I hear. Shop says normal. Still trying to determine if that is normal. Everyone else I talk to says seamless in 2wd, quiet, no problems. Not in my D30. I have an 04 LJ with an auto and 33s. Had the Spartan installed when I had new ring and pinion gears done. The jeep is a beast in the rocks with this thing and the factory track lock in the rear, but it has taken away from the enjoyment I get from driving my Jeep. I can feel the bang all the way into the steering wheel. The clicking is loud and rather annoying. I am still working with the shop to determine if there is something else that can be done. If not I intend on removing and seeking a refund. I love the idea of not having switches or cables to deal with, but I can't handle the constant loud clicking and banging. I will update review once I work with the shop that installed this some more. For now I would not recommend for anybody that actually likes driving the jeep and not hearing all the clicking. I rate an average because while it is great off road my on road experience has been diminished tremendously. If it is an install issue or a faulty unit and it is taken care of then I will be more satisfied. I use my Jeep as a daily driver and was looking to add some more capability off road, which this certainly did. However, I am not willing to sacrifice my on road experience where I spend 90% of my time.

neonhomer

neonhomer's Reviews
04-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Price: $269.00
Pros: Fairly easy to install.
Cons: Instructions not too clear, limited to 31" tires.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The installation was fairly straightforward, except the directions were unclear about the thrust washers. Had to leave them out for it to fit. Does good under most conditions. Only thing I really don't like is that the locker will bind, and then forcibly unlock, usually in a corner on the street, producing a very audible "POP/CLUNK" and shaking the entire vehicle.

Good for a budget locker, though.

halfstock
halfstock's Reviews

03-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Price: $247.00
Pros: Easy installation, great performance, rugged design, quiet operation.
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've held off doing a review of these lockers until I'd used them a year.

In my '94 YJ, put Spartan Lockers in the D30 front and D35 rear diffs. Installation was very straight-forward with excellent included instructions. Front D30 required pulling the carrier, it was easy, (disconnect tie-rod/drag links for ease of installation), and all went together flawlessly in under three hours start to finish, working on concrete shop floor with floor jacks, jack-stands and air tools. Hardest part was getting front hub assemblies out as they were rusted in tight, pretty much expected for an 18 year old Jeep.

I used full-synthetic gear lube in the diffs after installation, as much of the time this YJ is driven at below freezing temps. With the synthetic gear lube, locker operation is fast and positive, unlocking is quiet, even in tight turns on pavement.

Now, for the performance part... have run these wet, dry, rocks, ice and snow, and find that they are very street friendly, even for a daily driver, and yet perform flawlessly off road. I go many places in 2WD now that were iffy propositions in 4wd with the open differentials that were OEM in my YJ!

I was really concerned about on-road performance during the winter months, especially with ice and compact snow here in North Idaho. It proved to not be an issue, so long as when driving under those conditions I kept it in 4WD, otherwise it was a little squirrelly on ice/snow, especially on uphill corners where the vehicle is under power throughout the corner. Keeping her locked into 4WD cured the issues under these conditions.

Off road, what a different vehicle! It's pretty much stock throughout, and 4cyl/5 spd, and will go just about anywhere I point it providing ground clearance isn't a factor. The Spartan lockers converted my Jeep into a very capable machine that will probably not see any other mods other than perhaps a suspension lift to get some ground clearance, and to replace the aged, flat springs on this YJ. It does all I'll need to ask of the vehicle.

Would I do it again? In an instant!

Would I recommend the Spartan Lockers? Without hesitation.

Value for the dollar? Best bang for the buck mod you can do!

Daily drive-ability? Exceptional! You won't notice they're there.

Do both differentials? Absolutely, especially if ice/snow are on the menu.

Skill level for installation? Basic DIY common sense, and 5th grade reading level.

Tools necessary? Essentially just basic hand tools, and a slide-hammer (for front hub assemblies). Yes air-tools are nice, but not required.

This is the first product review I've done on JeepForum.com. Hopefully you will find it useful and instructive.

chevypowered
chevypowered's Reviews
02-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Price: $216.00
Pros: i have great traction in all terrain hardly use 4X4
Cons: has rough turns on the pavement
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this part is easy to install and is a great choice if you are on a budget anduse your rig for mostly off roading.

dragginwagon406

dragginwagon406's Reviews
01-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Price: $220.00
Pros: cost, simple installation
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: have not had a chance to really test it yet but it was cheap and installation was a breeze

bill8bud

bill8bud's Reviews

01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Pros: alot of bang for the buck. Simple installation.
Cons: instructions could have been better but they did do the job correctly.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: They are fairly quiet sometimes I hear a ticking in parking lots and during quick acceleration to deceleration. Off road they are night and day over my open locker. In a dana 44 plan on pulling the carrier to install them.

coltsoccer
coltsoccer's Reviews
01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Pros: works great install was relatively straitforward. jeep runs like a tank
Cons: needs more info on the instructions especially for first timers that have not seen what the inside of a diff looks like...kinda like me.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i have never seen the inside of a differential before doing this upgrade. if i can do it anyone can really. the hardest part was getting all the rusted bolts off the jeep.

markymarc
markymarc's Reviews
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Pros: works great
Cons: obviously selectable is better
Recommended? Yes

Comments: good locker good buy

Deadman514
Deadman514's Reviews
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Price: $270.00
Pros: Cheap and it works.
Cons: channel for C-Clip wasn't machined all the way through -had to clearance to install.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I grenaded the spider gears in my 35. Lincoln locked it for a bit but figured the added stress was too much for the Dana 35. Installed this. Good manners on the street with balanced tire pressures. Nice traction in mud and rocks (as much as I can throw at it with no lift and stock tires). If and when I kill the Dana 35 and swap in something larger it's no big loss.
Easy to install

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last