Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Richmond Gear Powertrax No Slip Locker

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Richmond Gear Powertrax No Slip Locker Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Richmond Gear Powertrax No Slip Locker

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $343.90
Manufacturer: Richmond Gear
Recommended?
Yes: 11 / No: 1

The POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEM

The POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEM is the latest design in traction adding differential technology. It combines the smooth operation of a limited-slip differential, with the traction performance of a locking differential.

When power is applied, the unit automatically locks providing 100% no-slip power to both wheels. However, when power is not applied and the vehicle is turned, the unit will act like an open differential and allows for differentiation.

A precise synchronization mechanism eliminates the ratcheting sounds typical of other locking differentials. Special gear and spring design reduce the backlash and driveline windup. There are no clutches to wear out.

Installation is simple because no ring and pinion set-up is required. In addition, no special tools or oils are needed. Step by step model specific instructions are provided with every kit. Installation typically is completed in about 90 minutes.
The POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEM is rated at 800 ft. lb. of torque which makes is suitable to street/strip and some circle track applications.

The POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEM is the ideal solution for just about any light truck, sport utility, and muscle car on the road today. Whether you need the safety of added traction for daily commuting, recreation, work, or just so your muscle car puts power to the pavement instead of burning one wheel up, the POWERTRAX® TRACTION SYSTEM is the answer.

Powertrax is a product of Richmond Gear, a manufacturer of high performance drive train products.

For more information visit www.powertrax.com or www.richmondgear.com

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

homerdog
homerdog's Reviews
07-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Price: $425.00
Pros: Very Quiet, Easy install, Awesome traction.
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: IMOP THE BEST lunchbox style locker. I have them on the front and rear of my WJ. The front is 99% invisable very slight click after a sharp turn. Same with rear. I've tried many other style lunchbox lockers and all where Very noisy and rough compaired to the No-Slip. Paired with my Hankook Dyna Pro tires my traction is unbeliveable. I love this locker

titomars

titomars's Reviews
01-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Price: $399.00
Pros: easy install, no gear shimming
Cons: the occasional clunks when it unloads/equalizes
Recommended? Yes

Comments: seems to do what its suppose to. you do have to learn to drive on one. they tend to push the rear end around under power, even on dry pavement. i expected something more invisible (like limited slip) under normal driving. its not a bad thing just different. i have yet to take mine off road to really try it out.

Heavylift

Heavylift's Reviews

09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Price: $365.00
Pros: Extremely quiet operation, very simple install 1-2 hours max. Extremely well built (I have completely destroyed two axles with the No-slip inside, not due to the locker but horsepower/traction, and each locker was the only unhurt component of each axle: 10 bolt and Dana 35)
Cons: In rear applications driver must be aware of characteristics and drive accordingly; ie. if you punch the throttle around a corner be ready for it to engage.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've owned 4 Powertrax no-slip lockers, 1 in an 81 camaro Z28 with a 10 bolt rear, 1 in an S-10 blazer 10 bolt rear and 2 in my TJ; Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear. The camaro ate the 10 bolt for lunch and the Powertrax was the only component that survived. Later on I put one in a Dana 35, knowing it was a weak application, later replacing the whole unit, after I destroyed it, with a Currie G2 Dana 44 w/ECTED locker. Powertrax locker again was only surviving component of the Dana 35's destruction. Still have the no-slip in the front of my TJ today, and I believe if you have the money to spend on the no-slip instead of the lockrite/aussie/sparten (which I've had the lockrite, and all are very noisy in my observation) you should do it, you'll be happier.

jeepers84
jeepers84's Reviews
07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Price: $415.00
Pros: Easy install. No need to disassemble carrier to install. Off-road performance is excellent.
Cons: Creates seriously evil on-road manners. Extremely twitchy with changes to throttle on curves.
Recommended? No

Comments: If you can get past the scary on-road attitude induced by the unhooking/hooking of the locker with changes to throttle, you may be thrilled with the performance. Entering a curve under throttle produces a mild understeer condition, but backing off the throttle produces a pronounced and sometimes spooky shift to oversteer. Off-road, all is forgiven. This locker brought my Jeep to life and I can now go places I would previously not have attempted. I am still working on getting used to the quirks, but would probably swap in a limited slip or selectable locker if budget would allow it. Bottom line, if you are looking for off-road performance on a budget, this is a great choice. If your Jeep is a daily driver or you drive a lot of on-road miles, you may want to consider other options.

TiredOldMan

TiredOldMan's Reviews

02-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Powertrax No-Slip in D30 in the frt. In two wheel drive you don't even know it's there. In 4wd it locks fast and positive. Never had a problem with it not wanting to unlock when put back in 2wd

xjwagoneer

xjwagoneer's Reviews

11-07-2008, 01:56 AM
Price: $375.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This locker is awesome! Performs flawlessly off road. On the road it is very well behaved. On the highway it is hardly noticeable, and it will clunk very rarely at low speeds.

SparkieSTI
SparkieSTI's Reviews

09-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Pros: no noise in 2WD and almost no noise in 4WD
Cons: a little trouble getting the Jeep back together
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Hasn't been in the jeep long and haven't gotten to use it yet. Good price for lunchbox locker. Instructions were written for rear locker and I got a front. Wasn't as easy as I thought, but I don't consider myself to be mechanically inclined.

SparkieSTI
SparkieSTI's Reviews

09-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Price: $400.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Hasn't been in the jeep long and haven't gotten to use it yet. Good price for lunchbox locker. Instructions were written for rear locker and I got a front. Wasn't as easy as I thought, but I don't consider myself to be mechanically inclined.

rock_readytj
rock_readytj's Reviews

07-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Price: $325.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: havnt had it that long to really do a review , but so far so good. seems like a pretty tough unit for a fraction of the cost of the full locker

ADK_YJ
ADK_YJ's Reviews

04-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Price: $225.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Actually have an Aussie but same thing

cj847
cj847's Reviews

04-14-2008, 10:10 PM
Price: $260.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Works great, relatively easy install. Best mod on the jeep

barry1me

barry1me's Reviews

07-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Pros: no noise works great no steering pull
Cons: everyone should get a no slip
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have about 100 miles on this locker so far, and Im very impressed. I have driven down several dirt roads at 40 mph in 4hi and have had zero handling quirks. Compared to my aussie this thing shines. The aussie was dangerous to drive on the road in 4hi. With this locker I see no reason to have a selectable locker in the front axle for driving on the road. I will be going to silver lake this weekend, and will give an update on how it performs.

well I thought I would leave an update on how they are doing and holding up. Im very impressed with there performance, and more importantly there road manners. This is a very well designed locker

writeup/install of dana 30 powertrax install