Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Richmond Gear Powertrax No-Slip

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Richmond Gear Powertrax No-Slip Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Richmond Gear Powertrax No-Slip

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $385.38
Manufacturer: Richmond Gear
Recommended?
Yes: 13 / No: 2

The Powertrax No-Slip Differential eliminates the need to compromise, delivering maximum traction with smooth and quite operation. Power is automatically directed to provide full engine torque to both wheels, even if one has zero traction. Unwanted wheel slip is controlled to provide the best traction output. Transitions are smooth and quiet, from equal torque distribution to both wheels, to differential action when making a turn.

Both case and non-case versions are available. The non-case versions install easily in existing open, limited-slip/posi, or locking differential cases. No special tools or professional setup is required. The case assembly version features a special designed extra-strength case, if complete replacement of the OE case is preferred. Key components are made for Zytanium for ultra-strength and maximum durability.

Applications cover virtually all 4x2 and 4x4 trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans, recreational vehicles and many rear wheel drive passenger cars. Both front and rear axle applications are available for 4x4 vehicles.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

JohnBoy54
JohnBoy54's Reviews

10-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Easy to install.
Cons: Made my Jeep horrid to drive on the road.
Recommended? No

Comments: Installed this unit last spring in my non C-clip Dana 35 when I was installing new axle bearings and seals at about 150,000 miles on my old 1988 Jeep Wrangler. I use my Jeep as a daily driver with some back country trips in the mountains or to Moab. I find this unit almost unsafe on the road. When the power transfers from one side to the other as the gas is increased and decreased, the Jeep tries to jump sideways. I can't let up to shift in a curve for fear I will switch ends. The first time it happened I stopped to see if one of my axles had come out the side of the housing the side thrust was so severe. I hate this thing on the road. Locally I usually drive at 50 mph or less but I just recently hit the highway. A severe vibration started at about 55 to 60 mph and got worse as the speed increased. I had to take the trip at less than 60 with people stacking up behind me. No fun. The cross shaft clicks and clacks a lot especially when you back up and then go forward; lots of noise. Our roads will be icing up for the winter very soon (end of October) and I don't think I will be able to keep my Jeep out of the ditch the way it shifts from side to side with the throttle especially in curves. I will probably be putting the spider gears back in very soon. Not happy.

Remko
Remko's Reviews

01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Easy to install and use
Cons: Not as strong or durable as a case locker
Recommended? No

Comments: I put these in my TJ both front and rear, they worked great offroad, but I didn't like the handling of the rear one. The rear one ended up locking up into a spool after about 1-1/2 years and Richmond replaced it under warranty, but I ended up selling it and going to an OX. Used the front for another 5-6 years before it broke a tooth. I ended up replacing the gear and sold it to buy a Zip locker, but mostly because I wanted a selectable instead of an auto locker. Overall they work good, for what they are, and entry level locker. I would not recommend putting one in the rear of a short wheelbase vehicle, especially with a manual tranny.

SightlierDuke23
SightlierDuke23's Reviews
02-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: does great off road, don't notice it on road, unless it rains and then it is only a little wiggle every now and then
Cons: longevity of springs
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This was already installed when i bought the jeep and i was a little concerned, because i have only had Selectable's before. knowing little about lunchbox diffs, the first thing i did was changed the fluid and cleaned it really well with brake cleaner. Wow was i suprised! this thing works great on and off road. now knowing how it works and experiencing it myself i wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

noise_maker

noise_maker's Reviews
10-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Price: $430.00
Pros: Smooth, quiet consistent operation
Cons: unable to disengage
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is smooth, quite, and extremely well behaved autolocker

merdock69
merdock69's Reviews
07-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Super easy install. Gives vastly superior traction over open diff. Nothing to wear out like limited slip.
Cons: Can by noisy Increased backlash in drivetrain.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a great "Lunchbox Locker" the install was super easy, very intuitive. It does create a little slop in the drive train that is less noticeable with an automatic tranny than a manual.

vonhef
vonhef's Reviews
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Price: $440.00
Pros: Works well
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed in a Dana 30 on the front of my 06 TJ and does what it should.
In 2wd driving forward it works like a normal open differential. Sometimes while backing and turning I hear a clunk or pop… but it is not often. When driving in 4wd it will defiantly lock the differential and is noticeable while turning. It should not be used on dry pavement in 4wd. Works very well for my off-trail expeditions.

evolmc
evolmc's Reviews

05-30-2008, 06:25 AM
Price: $350.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I am very Impressed with this locker. I am running it in my front axle and it works great.

hondastomper
hondastomper's Reviews

05-30-2008, 03:58 AM
Price: $210.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought the Chysler 8.25 used 4 years ago. A few of the teeth were chipped, but i threw new springs and pins in and have been flogging it since. After about 20k miles, i moved it to the rear of my MJ and have pounded it for 3-4k miles w/out trouble

gabrod72

gabrod72's Reviews

04-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Pros: Great road manners, easy to install DIY, Quite as a mouse fart, bought used one for CHEAP!
Cons: Uses D35 carrier so reliability is unknown, only time will tell
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've only owned one other locker and it was a full carrier detroit locker. This lunchbox performs just like it off-road. I've been hitting some steep loose lock hills where I've experienced lots of tire spin with the Dana 35 open diff in my ZJ, and when I returned with the No-Slip in the D35 it was stunning. I did not expect it to perform as well as a detroit but it did. I got minimal tire spin through the challenging climb and did not have to "thrash" the vehicle at high speeds to get it over the humps in the hill. Both my buddy and I did not have to exceed about 5 mph and just kept the vehicle at a constant "walking" speed and we wnet up easliy. My friend said he had one word - "UNFAIR!" He noted it made things wayyy too easy. I highly recommend this locker if you're looking for a DIY budget upgrade. It is so quite that it is almost stealthy since from the sounds I can usually tell who is and who isn't locked but with this one it is very hard to tell until you see the vehicle's performance. The sounds are nearly undetectable. I'm now a believer in lunchboxes and plan to use one up front. As for the rear, I will be replacing my D35 with a full detroit on an 8.8. Honestly, I LOVE the crackling and popping of the detroit and this is the only reason this locker gets a 9/10. The ease of install also adds to this.

brifro123
brifro123's Reviews

04-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Price: $340.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Amazing

PR1AWRet

PR1AWRet's Reviews

03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Works great
Cons: Takes way to long to get replacement parts
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its a great locker and works well. If it does break (usually the paddle) expect to wait a few weeks for the part. I have an 8.8 so maybe its just this axle.

tntempest
tntempest's Reviews

02-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Price: $400.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great locker, easy to install and hardly noticeable

ducktail
ducktail's Reviews

08-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Pros: Works very well in 79 4x4 Ramcharger. Does great in 4x2 also.
Cons: Occasional binding is a slight anoyance with the releasing "pop".
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have had this locker in my 79 Ramcharger for more than 5 years. It does everything it is suppose to. The only problem I have is the occasional "pop" when binding is released form a lot of driving on hard surfaces (ie, around town).

I did not install it myself but that was only a couple of hundred.

mtnrunner
mtnrunner's Reviews

08-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Easy to instal, no noise, smooth operation
Cons: Steering Effects
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I installed the Powertrax No Slip in my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 myself with very little difficulty. When I first drove off I could feel the unit switching from side to side when I made S turns down the pavement. As I passed center I would feel a slight thump. After a countable number of turns the thump got less and less severe until it was un-noticed.

The next thing I tried was to drive up a steep dirt switchback in 2wd. I noticed the inside rear tire immediately loose traction. The unit then sent power to the outside tire which kept the truck moving. Once moving securely on the outside tire, the inside tire resumed traction and became the drive wheel. Then the inside wheel lost traction, and the process repeated. The action was an oscillation of power between the inside and outside rear tires. Looking at the road after passing by, one could see a dotted line following the track of the inside rear tire. The dirt showed where the inside rear was driving (skid) and where the outside tire took the load (no skid, just tire tread marks). The outside tire did not skid when it was driving. I was very gently climbing around this turn, going like 2 mph.

Looking back months later, this is the normal operating mode of the No Slip when going around a turn in 2wd. The only difference months later is that the unit loosens up over time and the oscillation between inside and outside tire becomes much faster. When I make the same turn now. I just feel a fast shudder in the back end. It no longer makes a dotted line in the dirt, it tears up the whole length, and because the transfer between inside and outside is so fast there are no gaps.

Actually the locker works best when going around a steep slippery turn in 2wd when the inside tire is too unloaded to have any traction. On a rain soaked wet turn, you can give as much power as you want, and the truck will just go. You still feel it shudder as it tests the inside for traction, but you really end up just driving out of the turn on the outside tire which has huge traction because all the weight of the truck is on it. In this situation the outside tire helps you make the turn. If you totally over do the power you will break the rear. Before and after breaking the rear, the truck is in an over steer mode. My jeep is well balanced and is very controllable in this situation.

Without wheel slippage the opposite occurs. If you don’t exceed the traction limit of the inside tire, there is a mild under steer effect. But it is very hard to detect unless you stomp the gas, then lift off right in the middle of a turn. I think it would be far more noticeable with a stick shift instead of my auto trans. If I put my truck in 2nd at 30 mph I can feel it tugging at the truck. I am sure it would be quite disturbing in the stick shift vehicle. I don’t think I would install a No Slip in a daily driver stick shift vehicle. Driving normally with the auto you would be hard pressed to feel the pull. The only time I notice the pull is when I gear down coming down a hill while making a turn. You will feel the truck pull in the direction of the inside tire.

Anything weird you will feel is entirely due to the fact that if both tires have traction, your truck is one wheel drive all the time. With an open diff and no traction loss, both tires provide the same acceleration or deceleration force. When you add the equal forces from both tires, you get an overall force centered in the middle of the truck. When the truck is only one wheel drive, the overall force is on one side of the truck. That causes the truck to turn slightly. That is the biggest difference. There is no banging, clicking, nothing (unless there is wheel slippage).

Actually, the play in the locking diff causes pretty serious driveline play. I only feel it when switching form forward to reverse. It feels like all the U-Joints are shot. It probably is helping to kill them too with all that shock loading. Again this would make driving the stick shift vehicle very annoying.

On dirt in 2wd the one wheel drive phenomena makes my truck push into the turns a little. The jeep was normally well balanced and could be controlled very well in a fast dirt turn with the throttle, now it drives more like my old 4-Runner with a weak engine and a lot of weight over the rear. It is not as bad as the Toy because the jeep still has enough punch to break the rear even with the locker, but I am less confident throwing the truck around like I used to.

At least my biggest fear did not come true. I was worried that because the truck was going to be one wheel drive, with the power switching from one side of the truck to the other when in the middle of an S turn. I thought I would loose that nice tight on center feel that my truck had. I though it would pulse or something when crossing the middle of the S, but it does not happen. My truck is as easy to point down the road as before.

Another advantage to having this thing on my truck is that my truck has a full time 4wd mode. When I put it in full time 4wd, all the sensations caused by the locker are cut in half. Since the sensations are so little to begin with, when you cut them in half, you cannot really sense them at all. I am hoping that in the snow and ice, full time mode will eliminate the squirreleness that I have heard from others.

That reminds me of another problem with lockers. When I am in part time 4wd the locker causes the drivetrain to bind up something fierce. This is caused when in a turn the inside rear is driving the rear axel and the rear inside tire only has to rotate through a short arc while the front axel goes through way more distance. It is so bad that on hard dirt it feels like someting is getting ready to give. Again I am lucky that most of the time I run in full time 4wd with a centre diff, until the trail gets ugly.

Off road of course it rules. I got it mainly for water ditches that are built onto the logging roads up here. Without the locker you have to go through the ditches straight. This normally uses up all my ground clearance. Now I can hit them at a 30 Degree angle and cross no problem. I am sure it will be great until I snap my spindly Dana 35 shafts.