Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Detroit TrueTrac

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Detroit TrueTrac Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Detroit TrueTrac

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,400.00
Average Price: $473.71
Manufacturer: Detroit
Recommended?
Yes: 47 / No: 2

helical, gear-driven limited slip.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last »

Dcarr89019
Dcarr89019's Reviews

01-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Price: $444.00
Pros: good on road and offroad
Cons: broke the gears inside
Recommended? Yes

Comments: bought mine used had it for several years worked great for being limited slip. i actually blew out the gears inside of it and the thing still wanted to work couldnt find gears to replace the broken ones so i bought another one.

DaPoppa
DaPoppa's Reviews

10-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Price: $479.00
Pros: Awesome if you know how to drive it will never leave you stranded.
Cons: Not for the super hard core off road junkie
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Duck Doctor...I think yours might be defective, or not installed correctly. If you have it looked at it might be sorted out. I have been places with this set up that would make a Billy goat weep and it pulled like crazy. When one wheel lifts, tap the brake, no biggie. I like the d lockers too, but for different rigs that are on the trail for most of their lives, and drive ability is not the main issue. D Lockers are the bad A locker for sure, for rock creeping yea I would prefer D lockers, but for mud sand and getting to and fro...True Trac is the way to go.

Duck Doctor
Duck Doctor's Reviews

10-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: quiet operation flawless on road
Cons: provides minimal traction
Recommended? No

Comments: This LSD is best suited for a daily driven rig that is sometimes driven on road during snowy conditions. Provides significantly less traction off road when compared to a Detroit Locker. I would not recommend this LSD to anyone that runs moderate/challenging trails. This LSD will be removed and discarded this winter in favor of a Detroit Locker.

DaPoppa
DaPoppa's Reviews

08-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Price: $479.00
Pros: Smooth, Quite, powerful, no wear items
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I had to replace the pinion bearing, so while it was apart I had a master rebuild kit and fresh ring and pinion done, as well as the True-trac.

What makes sense is that it is much smoother that a traditional locker, and for a daily driver that sees about 20% off road it is perfect. I found myself buzzing along on sections that normally I could only make it through with 4wd. Now I need 4WD only for the toughest sections, WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!! I am having the front done and I am certain it will be a Jeep of a different Color.

jeep93zj
jeep93zj's Reviews
07-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: it has worked great never had a problem with it
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love the true trac it is a big step up from a open diff it works great.

TreDildy
TreDildy's Reviews
06-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Amazing traction when you need it, great on road behavior
Cons: pain in the ass to remove from the differential incase of a bad broken axle shaft
Recommended? Yes

Comments: One of the best parts ive ever put into my jeep! Highly recommend it to anyone who needs a locker and wants good on road behavior still!

rusticward
rusticward's Reviews
04-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Works, stronger carrier than stock
Cons: hard to access shafts if one were to break
Recommended? Yes

Comments: With warn manual hubs its great having the locker, I can use the jeep in two-low and got almost anywhere. Four-wheel is backup in case I get stuck, in case I get stuck with that setup I pull out some winch line. Great locker, easy on the street tough on the dirt and trails! But when breaking into the diff its hard to access the clips for the axle to pull them out.

Omega88
Omega88's Reviews
07-13-2012, 02:36 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: excellent traction
Recommended? Yes

Comments: does its job.

Omega88
Omega88's Reviews
07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Pros: Excellent traction
Recommended? Yes

Comments: No complaints does its job well.

Planetcat
Planetcat's Reviews

02-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Price: $529.00
Pros: Aggressive and solid engagement, no clutch packs to wear out, invisible on street in 2wd.
Cons: Expensive and still and LSD, not a locker.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had a couple of these. They are the best limited slip units if you don't want a locker. They engage quickly and tight, and last nearly forever. Expensive that's about it.

shotcake
shotcake's Reviews
01-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Price: $1,000.00
Pros: to early to tell just got 1-16-2012
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: To early to tell pros and cons yet to early to tell just got 1-16-2012. Please email me and I can reply on how they perfrom over the course of the next couple months

dragginwagon406

dragginwagon406's Reviews
01-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Price: $350.00
Pros: stronger carrier than stock, seemless operation
Cons: not a locker
Recommended? Yes

Comments: stronger carrier than stock, seemless operation, good choice for a daily driver since it is not a locker

SolidBrass

SolidBrass's Reviews

11-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Pros: It's a LS Dif. Great for snow and ice. No clutch plates to wear out and replace. No need for air or cables.
Cons: If you lift one side the other doesn't work (unless you hit the breaks)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I want a great snow/ice option. This is better than an open dif, lunchbox, or selectable for road conditions. I'm very happy after 6 months. (and I don't even have to do anything for it to work all the time) With my lift and superflex I've never had 1 rear tire leave the gound off road. (I'm not rock crawling much either)

04BlackLJ
04BlackLJ's Reviews
08-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Price: $529.99
Pros: They Lock, Automatic
Cons: Not the Best but working so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Never had any other to compare to

93zjer
93zjer's Reviews
06-01-2011, 04:32 AM
Pros: quite and awesome for mud and sand
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: New ones are improved with twice as many helical gears and fine thread bolts.

greene69

Web Wheeler
greene69's Reviews
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Quiet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought it because it has no clutches to replace.

lupinsea

lupinsea's Reviews
12-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Pros: Great street manners. Excellent snow handling. Solid traction improvement for general trail riding. Durable full-case replacement diff for D35 users. No clutch packs to wear out. Brainless, simple operation with no switches, air lines, cables, etc. Standard diff maintenance schedules and procedures. It works great at what it is and within a carefully defined niche application.
Cons: Only available in 27 spline for D35 axles. Not recommended for rock crawling or where tires are lifted often.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: While some don't like LSDs of any sort in Jeeps, I have greatly appreciated these LSDs. I have them installed in each axle and they have been flawless for the nearly 6 years I've been running them in the Northwest. Traction is so good fellow club members don't believe I'm running LSDs and not lockers. Operation is exceedingly simple: just drive. Because of the excellent road manners in dry, wet, and packed snowy pavement these are a great traction diff for a daily driven rig or one that sees significant road time going to and from the trails, and a diff I'd take over an autolocker any day. That said, they're not good in rock crawling or when you're lifting tires a lot on the trails. Still, some judicious brake modulation can get the LSDs to hook up if you lift a tire or hit a very slick section and get you rolling again. It's a very similar technique used on first gen H1 Hummers that use a similar gear-based torsen-style LSD. When I first installed these there were limited options for 27 spline upgrade shafts for the D35. But with the chromoly shafts and especially the Superior D35 c-clip eliminator 27 spline kit these diffs would make a nice upgrade.

ghndrcks
ghndrcks's Reviews
12-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Price: $225.00
Pros: locker
Cons: locker
Recommended? Yes

Comments: good locker, it locks the rear axle....

89wangler
89wangler's Reviews
12-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Pros: rear locks when it is supposed to . Doesn't chew up tires
Cons: none that i have found yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I paid to have it installed because i have been in a couple of trucks / cars where people who said they knew what they were doing did their own and then they howl or just lock up and slide off the road at 35 mph not fun worth the dough imho i also spent a little extra and had new bearings races and seals done on my 8.8 should last forever lol ill probably get hit by an old lady in a parking lot as soon as i get out on the road .

smokinlib1

smokinlib1's Reviews
09-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Price: $499.99
Pros: Works great no slip
Cons: Lots of noise after it warms up
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Works as advertised. Not very noisy when turning but after it warms up it clunks hard when going into gear. Am told this is normal operation though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last »