Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Aussie Locker auto locker

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Aussie Locker auto locker Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Aussie Locker auto locker

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $257.78
Manufacturer: Aussie Locker
Recommended?
Yes: 112 / No: 7

Aussie Lockers are good quality lunchbox-style auto-locker for open differentials.
they replace just your open-style spider gears with a ratcheting mechanism.
Aussie Lockers: Lockers, aussie lockers, torq-masters technology, automatic positive locking differentials, automatic precision locker differentials, off road, off-road

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

theducksguts

theducksguts's Reviews
11-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Price: $265.00
Pros: Instant operation, Easy install, Price
Cons: Clicking at turn, subject to wear and tear on the teeth.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The Aussie "lunchbox" type locker is pretty good. In my own comparison with other vehicles it is quieter than Powertrax, or Locrite, but they are all about the same in terms of strength and operation.

The only thing that I would recommend that people know is that if you put it in the Dana 30 it will become a bear to drive during the winter, so I would recommend a selectable locker for someone who daily drives their TJ. For starting out, or on a lightly built weekend wheeler, it works great. People also seem willing to buy them used if they aren't destroyed.

tufrthnails
tufrthnails's Reviews

11-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Price: $265.00
Pros: Cheap, Performs great on the trail
Cons: irratic in turns
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased an aussie for my 8.8 about 6 months ago. I love it on the trail and it is much nicer then the Mini-spool as it does unlock sometimes, but when turning you have come completely off the throttle and driving a stick I tend to need to shift in turns which tends to push the vehicle to the outside of the turn. Also when performing a slow speed obstacle it will disengage if you have use the clutch, which can be irritating.

hurley842002
hurley842002's Reviews
10-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Price: $299.00
Pros: 100% traction, Reasonably priced, Easy to install
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very good price for a well built product. I've been on a couple very difficult trails, and this locker has yet to let me down.

98sarXJ
98sarXJ's Reviews

10-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: quick and easy install, good price for a locker for a 8.25"
Cons: clicks like lockers do
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i bought this locker for an inexpensive alternative to full on lockers. i wanted something for my 8.25 inch in my xj and don't have the money for the whole detail of gears and a locker. i like it because i did not have to remove the whole diff, just the spider gears. i have never worked on a rear end before, and the instructions were very helpful. i also finished in about 3 hours, with 25% of that time just reading the directions completely so that i do it right. everything fit together well. i have driven it mostly on the street for now, and it works very well. when i make a turn with little or no gas, the locker unlocks and you hear the clicking, but i have to have the radio off, and windows down to hear it. when i give it moderate to heavy throttle i feel the locker lock, and the tires my sequel, but i have not felt any major under steer of handling changes from stock. i have not taken it off road, more than just flat dirt, but i feel that it will work as designed when i get into a more serious terrain.

dendrophobe

dendrophobe's Reviews
09-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Easy (time consuming) install, only $250 from Northridge 4x4.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The installation of this unit was very easy; the hardest parts were just getting the carrier ready to take out, not the actual part involving the Aussie Locker. Make sure you have an extra-long 3/16" punch; the regular size won't cut it, and you'll have to make another trip to Sears ( I made 4 the day I installed it! So much for being prepared...) So far has no road noise at all; if I hadn't spent most of the day installing it, I would never know it is there. Until I get offroad; then it really shines in 4wd. Highly recommended!

willsyj
willsyj's Reviews
09-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Pros: cheap dependable locker
Cons: not a selectable locker
Recommended? Yes

Comments: locker is cheap and gets the job done no cables to get hung up or broke on the trail

Mykdiver

Mykdiver's Reviews
09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Price: $220.00
Pros: Everything! It is a great locker
Cons: Ratcheting noise you get with lockers
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is hands down the best mod I have done to my Jeep! I love it and was very fortunate to grab up this one when the limited production run was released.

richmond1273
richmond1273's Reviews
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Price: $210.00
Pros: automatically locks, cheap, easy to install
Cons: never unlocks 100%
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this is probably one of the top two best things i have ever done to the jeep. oba is the other. this thing never lets me down and amazed me at the simplicity of it. i don't hear the clicking when turning in 2wd that some people have claimed, although it does click kind of when under load in 4wd when turning sharp and it is ratcheting. i love it!!!

JeeperFound
JeeperFound's Reviews
08-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Price: $249.00
Pros: Easy install. Seems like it isn't even there
Cons: None so far... Maybe winter??
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Install was a breeze. Everything seems to work flawlessly. Can't even notice it until it is in 4 wheel drive. Does seem to want to pull the steering wheel straight when in 4 wheel drive but I hear that happens a lot with front lockers!

dbikers
dbikers's Reviews
08-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Price: $239.00
Pros: lets you go anywhere your tires will take you
Cons: front ds spins all the time and my front ds is unbalanced...not good on icy roads
Recommended? Yes

Comments: All i can say is awesome....can't say enough about this mod. Cheap, easy, point it and go. You're better off in 2wd on icy roads and drive slow. Only use 4wd in snow
Ground clearance is your only limitation

palmrose2
palmrose2's Reviews
08-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: cheap. hasn't been any problems.
Cons: Icy roads in 4wd are a bugger
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Fairly easy install. I thought my Jeep was pretty cool with the Trashloc in the rear. The front locker puts this beast at a whole different level.

78treehugger
78treehugger's Reviews

07-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Easy install, very durable, good price
Cons: Not selectable.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have installed this product in mutiple jeeps and it has never failed in any of them. I have installed 3 in my own jeeps. I have friends that seen the simplicity and went and ordered one for themsleves. Yhey are very reasonable in price. They work very well. There is nothing special with them. the average shade tree machanic can install it. The only bad thing is I wouldn't install in a daily driver that sees the need for 4wd (snow, ice)because you can't select disengage to open differentials. Excellent product.

dajeepman
dajeepman's Reviews
07-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Pros: It works everytime
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This locker is not the quietest but it does its job in giving you extra traction.

rastaangel
rastaangel's Reviews
07-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: locker
Cons: kinda noisy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: nice locker, typical noise

cw4514
cw4514's Reviews
07-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Price: $260.00
Pros: Great added traction.
Cons: Slow to break in. Stays locked almost all of the time.
Recommended? No

Comments: The Aussie locker is good for the money but I can definitely see why they are rated so ****ty in the magazines. (lunch box lockers in general) The installation was very simple, with a few pointers you could easily install in 45 min. The problem I have with it is it stays locked almost all of the time, so I churp tires around every corner. The only way it unlocks is if I slow down considerably before a turn and never accelerate around a corner. If you use the brakes on a corner it also will stay locked. In a parking lot its like having a spool. I think that if I could do it again I would just weld the spider gears and wait till it breaks. Then like most people say put in a dana 44 and stop putting money into a **** rear end. (dana 35)

afromandooki
afromandooki's Reviews
06-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Price: $259.00
Pros: Works great. Cant tell its there in two wheel drive. I love pulling a front tire off the ground and still continue forward like I have all four tires on the ground.
Cons: Nothing besides having a hard time getting the carrier out.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love pulling a front tire off the ground and still continue forward like I have all four tires on the ground. Very little clicking when driving on the street. I'm able to wheel with people who have 33's or bigger when I only have 30's and stock suspension because it works so well.

tozar
tozar's Reviews

05-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Pros: Great locker for the money. I got this in a D44a for over a year and put 10,000+ miles on it so far. Still is locking up nicely.
Cons: 2WD is a nightmare in snow with this. The rear will just lock and you'll fishtail all over. Put it into 4WD and you'll go through anything.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good locker for the money.

John O
John O's Reviews
05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Pros: inexpensive, easy install, good customer service
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I put this in a D35 that's an on/off road YJ. I did quite a bit of research and decided on a lunchbox. From there it was a matter of which lunchbox. The Aussie stood out mainly for it's price, reliability and ease of installation. I do alot of sand and trails and it has not failed me. It is fine on the street once you learn it's temperment. Excellent product.

lakailimited06

lakailimited06's Reviews

05-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Price: $280.00
Pros: cheap auto-locker for upfront....
Cons: none..invisible in 2wd..
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Best mod done to my Jeep...put one upfront and its amazing i wheeled in heavy snow/mud and i never got stuck...cant wait to take it rock crawling...

oh yea installation was a breeze, my first time looking at a carrier outside of the diff and i had zero problems with the install...

FlyersPh9
FlyersPh9's Reviews
05-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Price: $120.00
Pros: great automatic locker, easy
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Was easy to install, and works well all the time! It really helps! I tried a trail I got stuck on prior to my locker and had no problems!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »