Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Aussie Locker auto locker

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Aussie Locker auto locker Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Aussie Locker auto locker

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $257.48
Manufacturer: Aussie Locker
Recommended?
Yes: 110 / No: 7

Aussie Lockers are good quality lunchbox-style auto-locker for open differentials.
they replace just your open-style spider gears with a ratcheting mechanism.
Aussie Lockers: Lockers, aussie lockers, torq-masters technology, automatic positive locking differentials, automatic precision locker differentials, off road, off-road

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

jeepinmichguy_

I haz ah Geep
jeepinmichguy_'s Reviews
03-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: easy install and good directions
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy install for the do it your selfer and the directions were perfect. An inexpensive way to increase offroad capability. I will update after some offroad use.

Update:

This thing works like a champ off road and is barely noticable on road. If it were not for the little bit of ratcheting/clicks at full lock on the pavement turning you would never know it was there in 2wd in the wifes TJ.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

1RustyXJ
1RustyXJ's Reviews

03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Double your traction, inexpensive, relatively easy to install.
Cons: It's not selectable
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought mine used from another Jeeper for my D44. By far the best thing I've done to the Jeep. Now I can go places in 2 wheel drive that I would have normally used 4 wheel drive. Adds so much capability to my rig. Even with a small lift, I feel I can hang with the big boys on some moderately difficult trails.

CBatZJ
CBatZJ's Reviews
03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Pros: Great traction on-road and offroad. quiet reliable
Cons: locks when taking some tight corners at slower speeds and eats at tires because of this.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have these lockers in my front and rear axles on my 96 zj. I have not yet had a problem with them, though I do not try to tear my vehicle up while offroading.

RaggedOleMan

RaggedOleMan's Reviews
03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Price: $249.00
Pros: Inexpensive and effective. Relatively easy installation, though I had a "real" mechanic do it. I hate to admit it, but, the installation was over my head. To many thing's to overlook and/or screw up. Cost me $200 for the install. I added outside axle seals, too. And, I got to watch and take photo's of the installation.
Cons: Not sure yet, it's exceeded my expectations so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The installation instructions from Aussie aren't the best. (Aussie Lockers: Lockers, aussie lockers, torq-masters technology, automatic positive locking differentials, automatic precision locker differentials, off road, off-road) I used installation write-ups from other sites (Stu Olson's Jeep TJ Web Site - N7QJP) plus (Aussie Locker - Dana 30 Front Axle Installation Write-Up) to supplement Aussie's instructions. I brought all the printed write-ups with me plus the factory service manual pages specific to the d30 to the mechanic that did my installation. Really glad I had it professionally installed by a guy that loves his work...$200 (installation) well spent as was the original $249 for the Aussie from Northridge 4x4 (Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Lockers).

Install Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/au...ll-d30-989823/

1st trail trip with the Aussie installed
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/e...r-10-a-990885/

This upgrade has, so far, done more to increase my off road ability then any other, except maybe ties (BFG KM2's/33's). Along with the ability gives me some additional confidence and peace of mind. I would absolutely endorse the Aussie.

I make great winch switches! PM me and I'll hook ya up!

yellow_xj
yellow_xj's Reviews
03-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Price: $312.00
Pros: it locks both rear wheels
Cons: havent found any yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: so far so good but it hasent been installed for 24 hours yet.

ronsaun

ronsaun's Reviews
02-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: easy install
Cons: directions could be better and more specific on vehicle type
Recommended? Yes

Comments: directions could be better and more specific on vehicle type

ericksin

ericksin's Reviews

02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Price: $263.00
Pros: Cheap, no differant than a (lock-right)
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is very easy to install, it took a little longer on the install time because I wanted to be as close as possible to the spec's. I had to go to the 4x4 shop and get some smaller shims you need to be .150 to .175 no more no less, I got .160. If you go below .150 you will not get your full lock-up (this will make more noise and slipping of teeth) If you go over you could break the locker (no noise until it breaks under lots of pressure) I have a 82 CJ7 running with 37” Boggers, Dana 44 front and rear, 4:88 gears, Aussie Locker in the front & Lock-Right in the back, 258ci, T-5 and a Dana 300 transfer case. So fare my jeep is unstoppable. I can barely tell the difference between the Aussie locker and the Lock-Right Locker other then the price$$.

ronsaun

ronsaun's Reviews
02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Price: $399.00
Pros: greatly improved traction, very easy install, rear only!!!!!
Cons: none that bother me.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: the increased traction is nothing less than WOW! dont worry about the driveability issues that are pounded so hard by others. i am in ice and snow. anyone that knows how to drive wont have any problems. take it to a parking lot for 10 minutes and you well let your 16 year old daughter drive it no problem!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! i feel more confident in my jeeps ability than ever before. buy it.
suggestion: catagorize the directions per popular vehicle type and year first then axle style. (it is just a matter of adding a few words and rearranging the page layout)

Nashirak

Nashirak's Reviews
01-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Price: $230.00
Pros: Easy to install Phenomenal value Smooth operation Very solid when engaged
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I installed this in my front D30. I love this locker. There is a slight clicking when turning in 2-wheel on the street, but only noticed when the windows are down or top off and radio muted. This helped me hang with GSA-type tires, where guys with more aggressive tires were spinning. Possibly one of the best upgrades I've done.

Bama_WJ

Web Wheeler
Bama_WJ's Reviews
01-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Locks up great. Very easy install.
Cons: None so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought this Aussie used from another JF member. It had 1.5 years of use and still looked almost new once I cleaned it up. It was a super easy install. Locks up great. Makes some crazy noises that makes normal folks stop and stare at you.

jeeptj333
jeeptj333's Reviews
01-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: no more open diff.
Cons: not a manual locker
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great front locker for the d30 and cant beat the price

02APEX
02APEX's Reviews
01-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Pros: cheap
Cons: not selectable, thus cheap
Recommended? Yes

Comments: One could actually install this on there own. Quick, affordable, dependable way to get locked up.

river2c
river2c's Reviews
01-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Price: $289.00
Pros: easy installation don't have to set up ring and pinion gears improved off road traction
Cons: full time auto locker handling quirks in slow tight turns not desirable on snow/ice
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It took me about half a day to install the Aussie locker in the front Dana 30 of my JK with no problems or surprises. There is a JK specific model number which uses different thrust washers. The instructions are clear and simple. The Aussie locker is unnoticeable on the street in 2WD except on very tight slow turns on hard pavement where you can feel and hear a clicking noise. In 4WD the traction improvement is very impressive on the trail. Any front axle auto locker is not recommended for snowy/icy road conditions unless you plan on keeping the JK in 2WD.

dirt_pirate

dirt_pirate's Reviews
12-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Price: $385.00
Pros: Easy to install and very easy to use
Cons: I didn't install it earlier
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Nothing's going to stop me now

rastadog

rastadog's Reviews
12-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Price: $225.00
Pros: Invisible, strong, no maintenance, easy install, lifetime warranty - what's not to love
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: IMHO, the cheapest, easiest, best bang-for-your-buck mod I've ever done. I was able to install with basic hand tools in a few hours. The Aussie has a lifetime warranty against breakage. It's much cheaper than selectable lockers and always there when you need it. If you install one in your front axle be aware that you're steering on the trail will be a little stiffer because when your axle is locked the vehicle wants to go straight - all the time. This is a minor annoyance for the performance gain Vs. cost of the Aussie.

Kris B Krunch
Kris B Krunch's Reviews
12-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Price: $199.00
Pros: Excellent traction off road Nearly invisible on road in 2wheel Cheap Easy install
Cons: Can tell there is a locker in there when in the snow or ice, extra care is needed.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great product, but would prefer a selectable locker if the price difference wasn't so much.

cowboy63b
cowboy63b's Reviews
12-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: locks up and stays locked
Cons: pita to install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i actually got the locker free from a buddy. i installed it, and i love it.

UltimateCC
UltimateCC's Reviews
11-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Pros: Easy install Great bang for your buck
Cons: Not selectable
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very reliable, does just what it needs to

theducksguts

theducksguts's Reviews
11-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Price: $265.00
Pros: Instant operation, Easy install, Price
Cons: Clicking at turn, subject to wear and tear on the teeth.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The Aussie "lunchbox" type locker is pretty good. In my own comparison with other vehicles it is quieter than Powertrax, or Locrite, but they are all about the same in terms of strength and operation.

The only thing that I would recommend that people know is that if you put it in the Dana 30 it will become a bear to drive during the winter, so I would recommend a selectable locker for someone who daily drives their TJ. For starting out, or on a lightly built weekend wheeler, it works great. People also seem willing to buy them used if they aren't destroyed.

tufrthnails
tufrthnails's Reviews

11-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Price: $265.00
Pros: Cheap, Performs great on the trail
Cons: irratic in turns
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased an aussie for my 8.8 about 6 months ago. I love it on the trail and it is much nicer then the Mini-spool as it does unlock sometimes, but when turning you have come completely off the throttle and driving a stick I tend to need to shift in turns which tends to push the vehicle to the outside of the turn. Also when performing a slow speed obstacle it will disengage if you have use the clutch, which can be irritating.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »