Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Aussie Locker auto locker

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Aussie Locker auto locker Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Aussie Locker auto locker

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $257.78
Manufacturer: Aussie Locker
Recommended?
Yes: 112 / No: 7

Aussie Lockers are good quality lunchbox-style auto-locker for open differentials.
they replace just your open-style spider gears with a ratcheting mechanism.
Aussie Lockers: Lockers, aussie lockers, torq-masters technology, automatic positive locking differentials, automatic precision locker differentials, off road, off-road

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

chopperkid2000

chopperkid2000's Reviews
06-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Price: $258.00
Pros: works as described
Cons: does pop a little going around tight turns
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It is what it is. Installation was straight forward. I did actually put the roll pin in backwards at first. took some time to get it out. Other than that no problems.

skyjackedjeep
skyjackedjeep's Reviews
05-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Dependable, durable, work fine, quiet considering they are auto lockers.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great lockers, quiet for auto lockers (they do chirp the tires some and click occasionally) but thats expected in my opinion.

26679cj7

26679cj7's Reviews
01-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Pros: fit right in
Recommended? Yes

Comments: the aussie locker in the rear made a lot of improvement in my off road ability,although it is diffrent on the street it is not bad,easy swap took like two hours.thanks for a good product.

loneeagle78
loneeagle78's Reviews

01-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Pros: full locker when in use, cant tell its there in 2wd
Cons: winter driving.
Recommended? No

Comments: My aussie locker came already installed in my jeep. As far as off road, this locker is great, I have rescued many stuck vehicles, and climbed many obsticles, however the locker lacks for winter driving.

In 4wd, jeep still wants to go forward on snow, even when trying to go slow while turning. As far as going in 2wd, once one tire finds ice and tries to stop, the locker starts grabbing, and it feels like the front end is coming apart.
If you plan on using this as a daily driver, and use it in the winter, upgrade to a selectable locker. If you are living where you dont have to worry about these conditions, buy this locker.
Just my opinion, but will keep you from making winter "pucker" decisions.

ripcurl1016
ripcurl1016's Reviews
01-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: good solid construction hasn't failed yet
Cons: no con's so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far so good. Under load the aussie locks the axles, so unless you want to churp the tires going around turns let off the gas.

noise_maker

noise_maker's Reviews
10-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Strong, easy to install and works good
Cons: unable to disengage, you can hear it click
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this is a strong, cheep locker that works well, the design is not as advanced as the some of the other lunch box lockers (like the no-slip) but still works very well. You can hear it click and will notice its there. It will work very well but its not invisible when not engaged.

Be advised that if you use lo-range allot and install a front locker there are some specific challenges you will encounter. Turning is allot harder when in 4wd and it can be difficult to get it out of low if you have to use it allot. its not a big deal if however you can just go back and forth between 2 and 4 high to make tight turns.

planedog
planedog's Reviews

09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Solid product, easily installed.
Cons: Will not fit into many Ford 8.8 carriers. This is a BIG con.
Recommended? No

Comments: Due to manufacturing variances that were not accounted for by Aussie, this locker will not fit into many 8.8 carriers and there is no way to tell until you install it. Then if the clearance is too tight, Aussie has no solution. The only viable option is to have the thrust washers ground down .020" each, that is IF you can find a machine shop that can do this without ruining the washers. I don't reccomend this product for an 8.8 install because this is an issue that could so easily be solved by Aussie but they don't seem to be interested.

toyrocs
toyrocs's Reviews

09-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Price: $245.00
Pros: Quiet. No noise or clicking on road in front axle( 2wd). Off road excellent will unlock (poweroff) during turns as expected.
Cons: None.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 1998 TJ with Dana 30HP axle ( front axle).

Viper723
Viper723's Reviews
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Pros: amazing traction, and did I mention the price?
Cons: not really...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I absolutely love this locker for the front. It makes a night and day difference. If you are on the fence about it, do it. It is pretty straight forward to install as well.

jonathenferr
jonathenferr's Reviews

08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Pros: Great on the beach and in some deep deep mud
Cons: terrible noise, neighborhood complaining, pain having to buy and install oem spider gears
Recommended? No

Comments: Ill give this product three stars it did exactly what I expected it to and more!
Great traction off road, fairly simple to install with basic hand tool. If my jeep was and "off road only" jeep I would still have mine locked up, that being said my jeep is a daily driver. The clicking noise was terrible, I actually got stopped by the police at one point for a noise violation. I would recommend if you don't mind the clicking, and if you jeep was "off road only"

RobsCrawlin7

no balls
RobsCrawlin7's Reviews
07-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Price: $230.00
Pros: works, night and day on the trail
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i only have one in the front and will never have one in the rear. i plan on a selectable for the rear. i dont see the point in spending the money on a selectable front

robob280
robob280's Reviews
06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Works great! No complaints at all!
Cons: Obviously only locks in 4 low but hey, its for crawling
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought from a friend and I can't complain about it at all! As long as you don't mind clicking as you round corners, you'll enjoy this one

Jeep-P-S

Jeep-P-S's Reviews
05-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Price: $269.00
Pros: Cheap way to get in to a locker.
Cons: Hate the backlash, but thats how this type of locker works.
Recommended? No

Comments: I hate the way the backlash feels on the road. My Jeep is not a daily driver and I'm still considering getting rid of the Aussie for a true selectable. At low speed tight turns even without much power, like in the drive through, it locks/unlocks and the center section slams back and forth into the carrier cross-pin, making a very unnerving clunk-clunk.......clunk-clunk sound with associated jerky-ness - like a new driver learning to use a clutch for the first time.

It also tends to jerk to one side or another if you go from coast to gas on the highway as one side of the axle can unlock rather easily when there is no torque applied, then when you gas it the still-locked side puts power to the road right away, while the unlocked side put no power out until the cam rotates enough to lock it back in place. The result is a lurch in one direction. The effect is amplified by large tires with floppy sidewalls (like my old cooper mud 33's, much better on BFG AT 35's with the stiff 3-ply sidewalls). It's not un-driveable but takes some getting used to.

Anyone considering an aussie (or any autolocker) should put some thought into a mini-spool for less than $100, or just saving up for a real locker like an ARB.

slowridin03

slowridin03's Reviews
05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Price: $249.95
Pros: Great locker for the price, works like a charm
Cons: May not perform well in snow?
Recommended? Yes

Comments: One of the best aftermarket purchases I have made for my Jeep... made my last trail ride so much easier! Highly recommend this locker.

RustedWrangler
RustedWrangler's Reviews

04-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Price: $240.00
Pros: Works very well offroad, almost invisible on the street.
Cons: None
Recommended? No

Comments: Very quiet and easy to live with on the road. Just don't accelerate around corners. This Aussie was in the Ford 8.8 I bought and so it was already a couple of years old when I got it.

No noise around corners and when you are offroad it does exactly what it should!! This is one of the very best investments you can make in your jeep.

9/28/2011

6 month update: I have had the aussie in for around 6 months or so now and it works great no issues. It actually is better than a slectable in a lot of ways -- you don't have to turn it on, it automatically unlocks when you are not on the power and are turning.

hankle
hankle's Reviews

03-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Worked great for a few days, was able to climb right over trees and rocks.
Cons: Failed after 200 miles. Had everything installed to spec, don't know what happened, have seen plenty of great reviews but my experience wasnt so great. Had plenty of money so I immediately upgraded to OX locker and grande 30 axle shafts.
Recommended? No

Comments: Easy to install, no cables or air lines to worry about. Mine was driven about 200 highway miles (and just a few off road) before I actually tried to do some wheeling with it. The day I was headed out to wheel, CLUNK!, and then the thing just ratched non-stop. I might have had a brake caliper problem which made the brakes drag real bad on one side, which could have caused springs to fail. All of the ratchet teeth still looked great, but it would not keep both axles locked together. Lost all faith in the product on that day and did not even call Aussie to see what the problem was. Good luck to everyone else who are running these things. I've seen them do well and provide the positive traction needed, but they are not built to stand the test of time in my opinion. Save your money and get a real locker!

1968olds98
1968olds98's Reviews
02-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Pros: Great traction
Cons: Acts odd on ice. Doesn't always unlock right when you need it.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Pretty quick install, would do again in a heart beat. Just a few odd quirks you have to learn to deal with.

bmgadg

bmgadg's Reviews
02-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Pros: Works great, never makes a sound
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy to install, works great, buy it!

TimmyTattooXJ
TimmyTattooXJ's Reviews
02-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Strong Durable easy to install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its like night and day driving with and with out lockers. I can go and get out of places i never thought my XJ could great product at a great price

shoe83
shoe83's Reviews
01-26-2011, 11:11 PM
Pros: Easy install, great performance offroad.
Cons: Its an auto locker, turning is limited when in 4wd
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Istalled in my D30 front axle. This locker is great, it is cheap and easy to install. However, it is an auto locker so it cannot be turned off while in 4wd, which limits the turning radius. The locker does click while turning in 2wd, but it is not that bad.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »