Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Axles > Lockers > Auburn Gear ECTED (Electronically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Auburn Gear ECTED (Electronically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential) Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Lockers Next Product

Auburn Gear ECTED (Electronically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential)

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,300.00
Average Price: $697.15
Manufacturer: Auburn Gear
Recommended?
Yes: 20 / No: 2

Auburn Gear has developed an Electronically Controlled Traction Enhancing Differential – the ECTED™. The electronic activation feature allows the ECTED to be interactive with vehicle dynamic systems to provide optimum traction. It also does not require external pneumatic or hydraulic connections. The ECTED greatly enhances the traction required for severe off-road and towing applications such as pickup trucks and SUVs. It can also be integrated with ABS and traction-control systems to provide the enhanced traction required of luxury and sport performance vehicles. The ECTED’s compact design and variable torque transfer capability lends itself to many differential applications.

The ECTED’s simplicity, ease of installation, high torque transfer capability, and other controllable features makes it an attractive cost-to-benefit design.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Minion33088
Minion33088's Reviews

01-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Price: $284.00
Pros: Push button electronic locker, and posi when not locked. Best of both worlds.
Cons: Doesn't disengage, wears splines out. Doesn't fit in housing.
Recommended? No

Comments: For dana 35, 30 spline. Horrible carrier design. Wouldn't fit in the diff without lots of grinding. Thanks to the locker not always disengaging before we hit pavement and the fact that the carrier only runs on half of the alotted splines, the splines stripped out in 3 months. Ruined a $800 locker and $250 axle shafts. Thank God we got it at 1/4 the price..I guess you know why.

HORRIBLE DESIGN, DONT BUY!!!
A great idea gone horribly wrong...

andrew2641

andrew2641's Reviews
07-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Price: $599.00
Pros: flip switch locker
Cons: dis engage some time takes a minute
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I look forward to punishing my new axles and lockers

del_TJ

del_TJ's Reviews
12-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Price: $700.00
Pros: Limited slip when not engaged. Great on road handling. Simple 12V hookup.
Cons: Not a true, full locker. Clutch packs will wear eventually.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had this locker in my rear D44 for about 1-1/2 years, 10,000 miles now and I've used it on a Jeep Jamboree and about a half dozen offroad club outings. I've heard that some of the earlier ECTEDS failed or didn't work right, but so far mine has worked as a normal, reliable locker when engaged. As far as I can tell, it fully locks 32" tires and has helped me keep up with bigger Jeeps on New England trails. The ECTED did stay engaged after cutting the power a few times, but that stopped after it was broken in. Disengaged, it handles excellent on the road and works as a reliable limited slip.

My original factory rear limited slip lasted me about 80,000 miles before the spider gears broke. I don't know how long the ECTED clutch packs will last and the big negative is that they will wear eventually. A Detroit Trutrac will probably wear better & last longer but the ECTED gives you a flick of the switch activation. The ECTED is not a true locker though and can slip under heavy load.

northernhilbily
northernhilbily's Reviews
08-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Price: $950.00
Pros: lsd
Cons: not sure yet just installed did not off road it yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: will let you know after i off road it a pain to install my first locker tho so it could be me .

barroninc
barroninc's Reviews
12-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Price: $785.00
Pros: LSD and full lock in one unit. quick and solid engauge/disengauge.
Cons: not properly engineered for firt production model.
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought one for my TJ in may and did the proper break-in. I only egauged it twice offroad. In october it stripped an axle causing the ring and pinion to slip and somehow blow up the carrier as well. This was due to a design flaw in that there was only one 1" contact on left side axle and 3" on the right causing undue stress to one side.

Auburn has since released a new model and swapped me out. but would not cover the other repairs. If your set on this locker make sure it;s the new one your getting.

Scottfloors

Lets All Go Hunting!
Scottfloors's Reviews
10-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Price: $675.00
Pros: Great flip the switch Semi locker! great traction. Great warranty
Cons: non yet I had a spider gear tooth break but they warrantyed it
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have been enjoying this locker for a while. works when I need it.
I recently broke a tooth on the spider gear. I called Auburn and they had a new locker out to me in a week!
GREAT Warranty

Kip03TJ
Kip03TJ's Reviews

05-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Price: $650.00
Pros: LSD's ALWAYS there and locker on demand
Cons: 27 spline on dana 30. Can't upgrade later down the road.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought my first ected locker in 2005 for my 94 yj rear dana 35. Got it professionally installed for around $200 at a local 4wd. Something happened with either the installation or the product itself but once it was installed it worked once then broke and wouldn't lock (only stay in LSD mode). I called Auburn and complained because it would cost about another $100 to take it back out. After complaining with Auburn they asked what they could do for me for all this trouble. I asked for a new replacement for the Dana 35 and free ected for the front dana 30 and they sent it Haven't had any problems since then. There customer service is very good and even if the ected doesn't lock up the LSD is a guaranteed back up. I like them so far.

jetter

jetter's Reviews

03-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Price: $634.78
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great locker! You never know it's there. The limited-slip works so well, I can't tell if it actually locks when I hit the switch.
The only downside is having to add the L/S additive to the diff oil. If you don't add the right kind and/or amount, it makes a grinding vibration that feels like a wheel bearing has disintegrated.

visa
visa's Reviews

01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Price: $700.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Sweet, posi works to well.

hunter_03tj
hunter_03tj's Reviews

12-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Yet another great mod, the ability to engage and disengage at will is fantastic, even with the limited slip, don't notice in when not engages

motormark67
motormark67's Reviews

10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Pros: Locks up great & operation is easy
Cons: Running Dana 44 and Auburn recomends not using larger than 35" tires
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Has worked great so far but I haven't had them in long, I will revisit this in about year.

Guns
Guns's Reviews

09-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Price: $550.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have these in my Dana 30 and my Ford 8.8. Despite the rumors, no, it does not slip when it is locked. The only thing I would do differently is put a detroit or ARB in the Dana 30 so I could upgrade to 30 spline shafts. The ECTED doesn't offer 30 spline variations.

funguy831
funguy831's Reviews

09-11-2008, 07:36 PM
Price: $283.00
Pros: Love the posi, not much need to lock
Cons: Front won't disegage... working with Auburn
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 9-11-08: rear works great, front will not unlock, installed 2nd one from Auburn, same problem, sent 1st unit back to be fixed... giving Auburn chance to make right... will follow up... Love the idea, love the rear, but must have front & rear working.
7-15-11: changed Gears from 4:10 to 4:88. The rear locker would no longer engage, Auburn did an upgrade to this locker and charged me $283 + shipping for the exchange program. Due to the issues I had with the front, they have offered to exchange the front for shipping cost only, I will have to pay to install. I am pleased with this outcome.

Orange_Crush

Orange_Crush's Reviews

07-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Price: $675.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Only wheeled twice so far with the ECTED, love it. I'm locked in the rear only so far..

44 NSB

NSB Florida Jeep
44 NSB's Reviews

05-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Price: $550.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: No complaints so far. It's great to have a limited slip before activating the locker.

spyder873

spyder873's Reviews

04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Price: $650.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: We had to hit the bearing cap a couple of light passes with a grinder in order for it to spin freely but other then that, the install went smooth

Cherokeegrrl
Cherokeegrrl's Reviews

03-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Price: $1,111.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: You can't stop this locker. Easily keeps me with the Big Dogs, and selectable rocks!

mustangtoby
mustangtoby's Reviews

03-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Price: $1,200.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: have had some trouble, but Auburn has really worked with and stood behind product.

Ron R
Ron R's Reviews

03-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Price: $1,300.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I used eaton true tracks front and rear. I mostly use the jeep for the drive to work. with some fun in the local trails. So I saw no need for a true locker. but these work sweet.

sdhutch
sdhutch's Reviews

12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Pros: limited slip when not locked
Cons: does not unlock at the hit of the switch
Recommended? Yes

Comments: easy install!make sure you have set up bearings.limited slip is great.dont need to lock that often.